Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (lakeislife)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-02-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
What are your opinions on carbon handles vs the traditional handles?
Old     (210san)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-02-2009, 6:34 PM Reply   
proline LG

nothing's better
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-02-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
^^^ Ditto, and the customer support is awesome if you need it.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-02-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
I hate carbon... chips in the boat and board turned me off. If you stack hard and slam your hand down to the board with the handle still in your hand you can get a nasty pinch as well. Plus they are heavy and I like "minimalist" handles.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2009, 8:05 PM Reply   
I think they (carbon handles) are overrated... but this is coming from an average intermediate-ish rider. i have only used one once.

two ways i look at it is
1.) seems most of the pics out there in the mags are not showing the carbon handles being used. And the major spinning pros out there don't seem to "require" them.
2.) Most importantly, the hand-grip-padding sure aint gona last as long as the carbon and you'll end up needing to buy a new one at about the same rate as a traditional one probably.

... but if one came up on a really good deal then i would consider it (if i was in the market for a handle), but at retail price, NO WAY!

but that's just my opinion, and probably less qualified at that ;)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-02-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
p.s. if your looking for "light weight", i have heard (not experienced) the Helium handles being pretty darn light. they are some composite material or something... i'm still waiting for an opportunity to see one in person, they are pricy too
Old    dperizzolo            03-02-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
There is always the chance of slamming your knuckles into the carbon handle when passing it, and they provide a little less flexibility on the pass as well. I would just stick with a traditional.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-02-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
I have a Accurate Carbon Handle and I like the grip, but it hurts when you fall or catch an edge with a carbon handle. I got it for my birthday, so I can't really complain about the price. But I would NEVER have paid that much for a handle.

Nothing beats the Proline LG or Ronix North.
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-02-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
I am not a big fan of the carbon handles with the molded, curved grip (Catalyst). It does not match my hand spread and gets very uncomfortable by set #2. That being said, I have not ridden on a traditional triangular carbon handle.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-02-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
I hate carbon handles. They're expensive and they have some negative qualities. On the other hand, I would highly recommend the Straightline A.R.I. handles. They don't "roll," which is the only real benefit that I see to the carbon handles anyway. Also, they're really light, they're durable, you can swap out the grips, and they won't damage you, your board, or your boat. Also, they're half the price of the carbon handles.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-03-2009, 5:18 PM Reply   
any thoughts on the proline carbon handles?
Old     (lakeislife)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-03-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
thanks for all the feedback! I just wasn't sure if it was just me that hated carbon handles or everyone... I think that they're over-priced, painful, and rough on a board
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2009, 4:29 AM Reply   
While on the subject of handles, does "floatless" mean what I think it does? Sink?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-04-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
the only thing carbon handles are good for is to throw at tubers,wallys and fisherman that are ruining your day and hasseling you.you can toss that sucker a long way and take those wallys down! :-)

I love my Helium handles they are great..
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-04-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Jon Hunter - most "floatless" handle do not have any type of foam floats on them and sometimes do fill up with water. however, they aren't really heavy enough to sink more than two feet or so. i've never had trouble finding mine.

on another note any chamois style grip (LG, North, new Murray and Byerly) handle owns these days.
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-04-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
jason - I've got a proline militia handle. It's pretty cool; it floats, has a comfy grip, and my favorite part is that it's 17" instead of 15" like most handles. That in itself I find makes the handle more comfortable and it feels really weird and uncomfortable to use any of my old handles now.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-04-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
I hate carbon handles. My wife bought me one a few years ago not knowing and its hard on your boat, gear, etc. I had the straight line carbon batam and the grip started to fall apart within a year. Also wasnt very comfortable.
Old     (eyekahn)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-04-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
Do an ole' and knock your self in the head. Then you will figure out why carbon handles are garbage.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-04-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Eyekahn, I can vouch for that. I about knocked myself out!!
Old     (ethan31)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-04-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
I have gone through 2 LG's now. I will be buying another for this next season.

Best handle ever. :-)
Old    gotwake123            03-05-2009, 7:09 AM Reply   
With a carbon handle there is no possible way to wrap. Also spinning and landing blind with one is hard as crap.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-05-2009, 7:31 AM Reply   
I also have a Proline Militia Ltd Carbon. It is super kewl and I do like the 17" grip. But w/o any flex in the handle, sometimes it's hard to hang on in tough landings. Also I feel it made my tennis elbow worse last summer. It does have a t-handle. $75 any takers?
Old     (kellen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-05-2009, 8:47 AM Reply   
Carbon handles cause bloody toes chipped boats dented boards and last but not least stiches in a buddys face.. Carbon handle is now my pool triangle...
Lg proline. All the way