Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-31-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Not sure if it was already posted, but a Marine Trade blog has posted that Fineline Industries has purchased Gekko Marine, and hired Mark Overbye, Gekko founder, as it's Chief Marketing Officer.

Probably a good move for both...more hulls to build for Fineline, and some stability for the smaller brand, Gekko.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-31-2008, 2:03 PM Reply   
Fineline built Gekko for a long time - the hull was designed by Mark there.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-01-2008, 4:37 PM Reply   
personaly i think gekko needs to change their name... its just not catchy to me. i think if they had a stronger name the boat would be noticed real quick.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-01-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
i wasnt bashing or anything just to make this clear:-) thier a cool looking boat and they have have been around a while.
Old     (4x4chevyguy)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-01-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Well just what we need finline to bild more boats but 1 thing is they know what they are doing when it come to bild a boat one of the best out there so maybe geko will get better
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-01-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
fineline has been very busy with gecko lately...they have been putting a lot of effort into those boats.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-01-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine bought a Gekko last year, about 3 months before they went out of business. He was definately disappointed at the lost warranty. I'm curious if they will honnor warranties for previously produced boats.

(Message edited by ian_ashton on November 01, 2008)
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-01-2008, 11:58 PM Reply   
As the previous company that bought them went chapter 11, with a penny stock background/pump and dump....I'd say not.

With that being said, Fineline may back him up if they want to preserve the brand name.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-03-2008, 2:50 AM Reply   
My personal experience with Fineline from a centruion standpoint is that they take their customer service very seriously. They are approachable and reasonable. I have not sen them display any of the "attitude" one particular well known other brand is known for.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-03-2008, 4:59 AM Reply   
Ian:

Most of the warranty is still intact. The vinyl, fiberglass, and a few other speciality made components went away with the bankruptcy, the engine, gauges, tower, etc. that were purchased from the various suppiers still have the supplier's warranty. Gekko hulls were very well made, so that is unlikely to be a warranty issue.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       11-03-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
Is it true Fineline is alos building Epic now. I heard rumor of this a few weeks ago and have not had anyone confirm this?
Old     (hp_inc)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-03-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Yes Fineline builds Epic.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-03-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
I am going to say that I think Gekko needs a name change also. I really like their boats, but the name is just not good. Not a bash, just don't like the name.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-03-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
They need more than a name change. Their boats were the funniest looking things I have ever seen. No wonder they went bankrupt.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-04-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
Gekko didn't go bankrupt, the company that bought them last year did. Challenger Powerboats bought Gekko and Sugar Sand(jet boats) last year, then closed there doors this year under some suspicious penny stock conditions.

I always like the smaller, old school low slung direct drives they made. They always looked cool. The newer v drives, not so much.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       11-05-2008, 3:30 AM Reply   
Jeff is totally correct. Gekko didn't go bust - The parent company (Challenger) did.
Old     (jasonba1)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-05-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
what happened with gekko being moved and built in TN.