Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-13-2007, 2:36 AM Reply   
yes I know this has been beaten to death. Ok so I am going to New Melones next weekend and staying at the iron horse section of glory hole. I have a brand new anchor buddy I am going to try out but I was wondering if anyone is beaching using a peice of carpet or burlap sac also? Let me know your thoughts.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-13-2007, 1:17 PM Reply   
bump
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-13-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
When we go to Lake Ouachita in Arkansas about twice a year we use an old spare tire, just tire not rim, to beach it. Put some carpet under the tire in case you miss, then just ride onto the tire. We have done it for several years with no problem.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-13-2007, 1:43 PM Reply   
I beached by boat last weekend and sucked up mud. After a tow to the marina and a new impeller. I don't think beaching is an option any more.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-13-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
wow that sucks, i always have a new impeller with me thank god incase something like that happens
Old     (jameslo)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-15-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Aluminum fishing boat... probably beach. The sand might even shine it up a little.

$70k wakeboard boat... anchor. For that matter, any fiberglass boat - anchor.

As near as I can tell, boats weren't designed to be on a beach. Even with something under it, waves making it rock back and forth will just grind the sand along the gelcoat in places.
Old     (heeb_v215)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-15-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Always anchor........Should not even be a thought to beach it!!!!!!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-15-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
I always did the used tire under the bow, and tied off from the stern from both sides, and a third stake tie off to the bow. Never had a problem at Shasta Lake, where the shores are super steep sharp shale rock.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2007, 6:37 PM Reply   
2 words... ANCOR BUDDY!!
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-15-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Anchor. The foothill lakes are losing a foot of water a day. If you beach, it could be a workout to get the boat out.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-15-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
yea im going to use the anchor buddy but how do u make sure it "Sets" the anchor
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-15-2007, 9:26 PM Reply   
Get some chain down by the anchor ( about 3 ft ).
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-15-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
Set the thing way off shore and drive it back towards your beach, eventually it will bite and you are good to go. Pretty similar to say...an anchor.
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-15-2007, 11:46 PM Reply   
Why the chain, I have seen that recc multiple times but never knew why?
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-16-2007, 12:00 AM Reply   
i have the chain, i guess I will try it and see. Albinorhino the reason for the chain is so that #1 it weights the rope a little bit and #2 it keeps the rocks from tearing up your rope and snapping your line.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 12:02 AM Reply   
The chain keeps the anchor down on the bottom so the flutes can dig in. It also doubles the weight of the anchor. Proper scope of an anchor is very important also. Too little scope and your anchor can easily pull loose. There really is no such thing as too much scope, unless you wind up on the shore.

Rick, as Stephan said, you back down on your anchor just like with a regular anchor rope. The difference is you have to first take up the bungee part to find out if it is really set. Usually this puts you onshore with an anchor buddy, since that is what most try to do with them, is to be able to pull their boats to shore by hand.

Tie a buoy or life jacket to the rope at the bow, and put a clip on it. Run a second line from the Anchor Buddy clip to shore, with another float and clip at the stern. Then you can leave it in place and quickly connect and disconnect your anchor system. I still prefer putting the bow on solid land, and tying it off in three places.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-16-2007, 12:06 AM Reply   
very nice. I was thinking If anchorbuddy gives me a hard time that I will use the rope in threespots with a hard anchor out, or a burlap sac on shore. I will see though.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-16-2007, 5:58 AM Reply   
6' heavy chain one box anchor and a anchor buddy
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-16-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
nice. man where can i get one of those box anchors for less than 80 bucks. they seem to be very very pricey
Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-16-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
thanks for pointing that out all, also can you check out my other post I'm having some hub/Brake problems and any help would be great.
Old     (jon43)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-16-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Ya they are pricey, but they are very worth it