Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-11-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
i have a friend who takes his drinkin too seriously.. and will start to pull you about 30 mph... and you cant get his attention and he has no perfect pass... he will pay attention to the people in his boat and not the guy behind it.. pisses me off...
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
I think I'm going to get a PA system to 'talk' to inconsiderate PWC's and wallys...
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Fisherman on the river that give me dirty looks when i ride by only to later come literally 10 feet away from my boat with a rider out at anywheres from 30 to 45 mph it takes respect to get it I tried being nice worrying about swamping there boats but hell its always the same guys so i just don't care about them anymore
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-11-2008, 1:28 PM Reply   
I'm amazed that some of you actually have freinds.

Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Other boats with crappy uneducated drivers who come straight at you then can't make up their mind which side they're going to pass on when you're pulling a rider, especially when it's the wrong side. Having to slow down for wallys with no clue what they're doing.

Don't really mind tubers that much cause when they hit our wake it's fun to watch. Most of the boats that pull tubes here are little run-abouts or jet skis with little or no wake anyway.

Angry fisherman that throw bottles... or even threaten to.

Hitting the bottom

Oysters at the ramp, they're annoying but at least they're naturally there. Broken glass is way worse, and unfortunately pretty common at our ramp.

People who chuck their trash over the side.

One last one, people who don't help other boats out that are clearly in trouble. We've overheated a couple of times and been dead in the water, got towed in a couple of times but usually it's a long row/swim back in. We've seen other boats take a look at us and piss off in the other direction when we've got steam coming out of the open engine cover and a couple of guys on the paddles. Hopefully I've fixed the cooling problem we were having now though.

I would definitely not hesitate to at least cruise over and check if those on board are OK and whether they need any help if I see a boat in obvious trouble... engine cover up/off, crew on the paddles etc.

(Message edited by jtnz on February 11, 2008)

(Message edited by jtnz on February 11, 2008)
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-11-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
One of mine is people who have only been wakeboarding for a very short time, but have read alot of articles on wakeboarding, and come on my boat and act like they are the leading athority on wakeboarding and all other things in life, and state that they are good at many things, but can't back it up when the time comes to show it.
I want people to come on my boat and have fun, and we enjoy giving advice to new-commers, and watching people learn, and learning from them. But when you try to give someone advice and all they have to say is "well 'this article' or 'my other friend I ride with' told me to do it this way" it gets a little old.

(Message edited by clearlakeirene on February 11, 2008)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-11-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
If you can't drive in a straight line, you have no business driving a boat. That is really the only peeve of mine other than shoes. Take them off!
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-11-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
If you can't drive in a straight line, you have no business driving a boat. That is really the only peeve of mine other than shoes. Take them off!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-11-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
I don't like it when someone drives straight down the middle of the lake. It's always smoother closer to the bank, and besides the scenary is better near the bank also.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-11-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Out on the Delta, 8am, Perfect glassy water. AND ANOTHER BOAT STARTS POWER TURNING! By 10am the water on that stretch is ruined. THAT is my biggest pet peeve.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-11-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
Waitin at the friggin dock. You get a 10 minute window, if you're not there, then I pick you up when I feel like it.
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-11-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
Fat chicks who refuse to be used as ballast
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-11-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Wow....I might have expected that comment from someone MUCH younger.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
Just don't tell em they're ballast!!!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
growing up on the delta i have managed to get many pet pieves.....

1. boat cluter. thanks jrod

2. stepping on my seats with your shoes... or dirty feet.

3. i'll kill anyone who throws a water ballon at my boat.

4. people that show up with more people than origonaly told.

5. not paying up for gas..

6. SKI BEACH !!!! i hate the trash that that place brings to the delta!!!

8. and one more thing that irritates the hell out of me and i dont know why is people that jump right into my boat just soaked... dry off with a towel before entering.lol
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
Irene, I hear what you are saying but having been "that guy" I understand why they feel the need to do so. When I was a younger lad I was absolutely hooked and read everything I could about the sport. I still know more about boards, gear & boats than people that have been doing it twice as long. Same thing goes with tricks, I can't do a 7, but I can certainly tell my buddy who is trying them what he did wrong, it just wake knowledge, some people develop it faster than others.

You gotta realize that your pet peeve is just hating on someone's stoke, let them enjoy the sport as they see fit. If they do something different than you, encourage it, wakeboarding is not a contest. Its about progression and putting your own touch on it.

Lil Tuna, yes.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
"People who chuck their trash over the side."

I haven't actually seen anyone doing this lately, but one day we were out we saw 18 beer bottles come floating by on the tide, and then the 18 box they used to be in not long after it...
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
I agree with stephan, I'm not half as good as some of the guys I go out with, but I am so stoked on the sport, be it reading everything, posting up on boards, watching videos, being at boat shows or events, or just getting out on the water whenever, that I know how to do alot more than I can actually do!!

Stoke!!
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-11-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
I can see Heavy's point.

My closest riding buddy, who started at the same time as me, is a much better rider than I am. He still wants my opinion when I'm watching him try to learn new things because he knows I'm watching, and that I've seen the same trick threads/articles/videos, sat next to him watching The Book and talked about progression over drinks on the eve of almost every session. Of course he would be better off with a good coach who can really throw down, but I'm the one there who understands what he's shooting for and can see his attempts from another perspective.

At the same time, I have another riding buddy who gets offended by the same kind of interaction. He's generally more coordinated than I am, but isn't progressing the same. This, is a huge pet peeve.

Respectfully observe and push your riding partners!

*&#@ I can't wait for riding season!
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-11-2008, 5:56 PM Reply   
i dont even think the girl irene is talking about tells her what to do... i just think the girl is super eager to learn new tricks just as long as its in the right order so she gets all her fundamentals down as well... even if she started wakeboarding not too long ago, let her love it, because everyone started somewhere...
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
It sounds like a lot of people have bad friends. I only ask that at least one person helps me unload and load the boat off the trailer, which I usually have. I don't understand the no shoes rule. I have owned a new boat, used boat, been in others boats and no one has ever lost it over shoes in the boat. I understand that you will be stepping on the rear seat when you get in the boat. What I do is lay a towel down and just have everyone step on the towel. It's no big deal. What it comes down to is it's a boat. Yes, it is expensive. But what most people forget is that it is a recreational vehicle. There is going to be dirt, there is going to be sand, and there is going to be food. Instead of focusing on who's breaking what "boat rules" you have, you should be focusing on being out on the water with close friends and having fun for the day, weekend, or week in the boat.
Old     (clearlakeirene)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-11-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
I totally agree with all of your points, but they miss the point of what I was talking about. I totally encourage everyone who comes on my boat. I want everyone to get as good as they can, and I am all about having fun and not being too serious. I love to see girls rip it behind our boat. Goodness-I am still working on getting consistant on my W2W, so I am all about progressing slowly, and don't care if someone progresses more quickly than I do. However, no one enjoys being around a know-it-all who braggs constantly about how the other boats they ride on are better and know more about wakeboarding. The problem is that this person never wants our opinion and disregards it if we give it. It takes the fun away from our boat, and that is not ok.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
oh its on now...
Old     (shua789)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
this could all be solved by everyone getting a correct craft it makes people happy
Old     (shua789)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
Upload heres mine people doing HOW YA DOINGS on butter water like this idiot
Old     (maggiewss)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-11-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
yeah what an idiot... ok ok ok i have mine... people taking pictures of people doing how ya doings... what a waste of camera space...
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-11-2008, 9:48 PM Reply   
I'm a boat owner so obviously I have experienced all of the above. One of the things I keep hearing people complain about is people coming out and drinking all the beer. But it's ok if they pay up. Nooooooo. It's NOT OK, even if they pay up. I'm not a bar, I don't sell liquor for your convenience. Bring your own, and bring extra for the boat owner. And leave a few every once in a while. I enjoy the variety I get from others.

Here's a great one: A few years back a few of us were chilling on the boat after a morning session. We were tied up to a public dock. This family from Mexico comes up and asks if they could have a picture taken of them on my boat. I obliged and allowed them to have a picture taken with them in the bow of the boat with the lake in the back ground. Here's where it get's interesting. First of all it was a very hot day, so my vinyl was nice and supple. The female of the group proceeds to step in the bow of my boat with HIGH HEELS ON!!! We're talking the 6 inch **** me pumps. Tall and very narrow heels. I saw that and I swear my eyes damn near popped out of my head! I have playpen seating in my bow so the entire bow are seats. Thankfully no damage was done, but damn was that risky. One of my friends thought I was going to jump over the windshield and take her out right over the bow and into the water. I failed to notice what she was wearing. New Rule: No more stranges wanting pics taken on the boat.

(Message edited by Kraig on February 11, 2008)
Old     (misfits1981)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2008, 10:45 PM Reply   
Irene, I'm with your ideas the most. There is no reason for a Johnny Brags-alot. Yeah, it's a name. Just go out and have fun. As for the beer supply...I have great people on my boat and on friends boats. We are never short on the brew. We actually got one of our boats out recently to get worked on and found 12 beers left over. still good and were still cold!
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2008, 3:21 AM Reply   
Mine: Fisherman trying to cast at a rider, fisherman trying to hit a down rider with their fishingrod, fisherman placing a dead fish on Your boat cover and You have to clean maidens out of the boat because the rotting juice of the fish went threw the canvas of the cover.
Not to mention the angry looks and talks of the fisherman on our canal for wakeboarders while commercial vessels and sunseekers and bayliners don't bother them.

Just got to love fisherman, they're so bitter.
Old     (iluvrussell)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2008, 5:49 AM Reply   
how about the rich kids with super air nautiques and X-stars and they only ride once every other month. my dad wont buy a boat so this really aggrevates me. id kill for a decent wakeboard boat, these kids have it and never use it. but i like when they invite me out and i offer to pay for gas and theyre so rich they just say, nah its ok, im rich btch
Old     (wake_rat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-12-2008, 9:24 AM Reply   
All of the above, thank goodness I establish those rules early and my friends and family respect them. How about when you get your boat serviced (mine is always spotless) and you pick it up, take it home and remove the cover to see some grease monkeys hand prints all over your seats, with dirt on the floor! Thanks dealers!
Old     (johnaulick)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-12-2008, 11:56 AM Reply   
1 When somone dips tobacco

2 When girls take 3 hours putting makeup on before they get on the boat

3 wakeboard boats only towing tubers

4 bringing a board, wakeskate, and surfboard and wanting to ride all of them
Old     (hdrew)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-12-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
Dilly Dalliers!! sp? I hate when people take their sweet time getting ready to get in the water.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-13-2008, 5:44 AM Reply   
Jet skis or anyone too close to my rider.

I was about to buy a jet ski years ago until some idiot decided to come up behind me as I dumped the ski in chop. Lake Erie with nobody around. Go somewhere else. From then on, I just borrow jet skis and I usually pay for a full tank of gas when only riding a half hour.

I bought PP so my wife's driving wouldn't be on the list.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-13-2008, 6:37 AM Reply   
When people dont offer anything for a day on the water.

I will never take Gas $$ but it is nice to have the offer.

Most usually bring some beer etc along so that is nice.

I guess ungrateful idiots are my biggest pet peeve...
Old     (tversetti)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-13-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
People that sit in the boat and ride and do whatever, and then when it's time to clean up they just walk away like they were never there.

Hello people, there are covers to put on and boats/jetskis to raise out of the water!
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-13-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
kickflip_mj is this the ski beach you were mentioning...I can see why u hate it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om2ETAdMdUI

(Message edited by tigebob on February 13, 2008)
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-13-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Note to self. Never go to ski beach.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-13-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
That looked like a big sausagefest, I agree with david, that is a place to avoid.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
Ski beach you mean garbage dump. I would have never imagined that much trash washing up anywhere.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
oh man that video is classy.lol trust me when you grow up in disco that stupid ass place changed the delta so much. i feel like im gonna die everytime i go ride bc all the out-of-towner trash that drives their boat drunk as throws trash in the water and goes home driving recklessly. i love the few fond memmories when we used to go the and start a brawl every time bc people throw trash in the water or trash your boat. so bassically i want to hire a dredge and have them just get rid of the beach... or even a razor wire fence:-) that would be fun:-)
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-13-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
I'm not all enviro-friendly, but it sure does piss me right off when people have no regard for the wildlife around the lake and think it's ok to dump wrappers and beer cans in the water!!