Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-04-2008, 7:45 AM Reply   
The snow is melting, the lakes are thawing, and the debate for shorts over wetsuits can be put to bed until next winter. Most of us are still watching the news every night waiting on the weatherman to say "winter is officially over."

I take this time to reflect on why we are willing to endure the knee pain, face plants, hurt shoulders, etc. (See the owned thread if you need any reminders) The answer is very simple. There is no other sport that offers so much. Riders have a blast, and even the tagalongs who just chill in the boat sippin brews have a great time. The feeling of getting air, landing your first spin, or invert make this sport unmatched by any other. That being said we cant forget the people who ride. There is a solid brotherhood, or sisterhood, that make all riders, family.

Example. I went to a boat show this last weekend, and while i was looking at Ronix One bindings, i looked to a corner and saw this man with a mustache decked out in all FOX gear. Instantly i thought, "Sponsored." But the mustache gave it away instantly. It was Parks Bonifay himself. Coolest guy. He signed everything we put in front of him, chatted with us, and it was like we knew him our whole lives. Standup guy. This made the trip great. Then as i continued down the line of boats, i came across another guy i recognized. Keith Lyman was sitting on the back of Mastercraft. Talked to him a bit, and didnt even realize that Shawn Watson was standing right next to him. (I know what he looks like i just didnt look to see who it was.) Both guys were standup guys. Shawn showed me pic's of his new pit puppy Tyson that he has on his phone. These guys could not have been cooler. If i would have gone to the boat show and there were no boats, but 3 chairs with these guys on them, it would have been worth the trip. Live by example. The riders on these teams are the coolest guys. Play it forward. If you see some one needing a pull, pull them. If someone gives you a pull, give them gas money. If you see someone cut you off, and take your lane, crank up the music and cruise on. If you see a tuber, ...all bets are off. They screw the water up way too much. For all other riders remeber their family.

---queue Glory Glory hallalujah music---
So first savor your riding. It is just a blast to be on the water. There is always something you can being working on, but most importantly, Just Have Fun!! Be kind to each other and follow the examples of those who started this sport, and are leading the pack. If anyone has the right to be cocky it is them, but none of them are. So neither should we. As the water temps rise, the sun is out longer and longer, our wounds are all healed, the boats are shinier than ever, we start a new year of boats, boards, bindings, brews, babes, butter, and babes. We make it our creed to ride harder than ever, sore higher then we have ever gone before, land more tricks than we have ever imagined, and party like it will all end in just a few months. All rise and take the oath that is the wakebaording family. Cheers!

(For those in socal, Florida and anywhere else that is warm, i envy you guys, so just ignore the its cold crap.)
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-04-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
beautiful.

I agree with the comments made about the pro's at the boat shows, they are some of the coolest dudes around, and so chill. We hung with Byerly and JD Webb at the Houston Boat Show, and you would have thought JD was one of us, we were skating around, and gettin in trouble with security, and just havin fun, and Byerly was one of the most approachable guys at the whole show, great to talk to, and he's a legend!!

We went out yesterday to try and shake some of the cob webs off, water temp was 50, but it was all worth it!!

Yes I wore shorts over my wetsuit...
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
I liked that, it was good.

And I second the fact that the pros are the chillest guys around. When I was at the Brostock party, my boat batter died, so they offered to let us stay on their houseboat for the night, but my house was only a half mile away, I had an oar, and I knew that the houseboats would be leaving early in the morning, so I paddled the boat back.. But yeah, I know a lot of people who would just say "F u, you're SOL with that there bud."
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Good stuff I agree with all that was posted above and hope that every ones 08 kicks as much ass as it should.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-04-2008, 9:22 AM Reply   
That was a great post. I have to agree with everything. THe pros in our sport are so easy to come up to and approach. I saw at a boat show this kid was so shy to come up to Shane. I was thinking our pros are not like the NBA guys and you cant ask them anything. They love to talk to anyone who is into the sport.
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-04-2008, 10:27 AM Reply   
can somebody hand me a tissue, this is beautiful and inspiring. The water is freezing, the air is mild and I'm hitting the lake as soon as I get off work. AMEN to everything that was said.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-04-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Cheers! looking forward to spring SO MUCH. almost made it out to the power plant lake today.. too windy. It made the itch to ride just that much worse. to '08
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-04-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
i didnt take the time to look where your from but winter sure isnt over yet here in norther cali. snow is still dumping in the mountains. raining constantly with a few small breaks in the lower regions as well as in the 30s for temp. if you have warmer weather your way send it this way please
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-04-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
OK we could have waited another month for the to come out....lol im spose to get more snow tomorrow......but I WANT TO GO BOARDING SO BAD!
Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
I am actually in Oklahoma. After 70 degree weather yesterday, we are expected to be in the 20's tonight with snow. but then it will be back to the 70's by the weekend. This is just killing me. i am so ready to be on the water.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-05-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
In Blacksburg, VA, up in the mountains, it's around 65 degrees right now...
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Um, we're expecting a foot of fresh stuff and temps below 0 without the wind chill later this week. So a foot of snow tonight/tomorrow and then sub zero temps. I wouldn't say the lakes are even close to thawing and the snow is far from melting. I'll be sitting in the hot tub resting what still hurts from October and November!
Old     (okcrashhighlight)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-05-2008, 11:17 AM Reply   
Ouch. That is worse. File this away until later then. How long is the season once you get to where it is warm enough?
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-05-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Here in Indiana we had thunderstorms roll through the night. I just hope its not like last Tuesday where we went from thunderstorms and tornados to snow in less than 4 hrs. We wont be riding till May.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-05-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
I'll be boarding as soon as the ice is off. April 1st?
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-05-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
Ok, 1 word. INGENIOUS
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       02-06-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
We usually get May - Oct, early may until the end of Oct or first week of Nov usually.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-06-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
End of march or early April in Illinois/Indy
Old     (freeznuphere)      Join Date: May 2007       02-08-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
About the only thing on our lake at the end of April are the die hard ice fisherman. You southerners are soooo lucky. Then of course we get 18 hours of daylight for 3 months to make up 4 it.