Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
what is a better wakesurf hyperlite brodcast, phase 5 icon. and what are the differences between them?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-21-2008, 7:27 PM Reply   
That's a loaded question. I've found that the Broadcast is a nice stable beginner’s board.

I've never been on a phase 5.

Check the other board recommendation threads in this forum. this question has been asked and answered. Might sound like I'm blowing you off but I see SurfDad answer this question over and over.

Also it would be helpful to know what you are currently doing and what you'd like to do.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-21-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
we just bougt a 2006 x-star so i am curiuous to surf. but i do lots of wakeboarding i ride a murray 133.
i like to wakeboard lots
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-21-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
OK that's a start. No ocean surfing background, right? X-Star so I assume you’re a hardcore wakeboarder.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/560725.html?1206716436

You’re riding weight and the weight of the others in your crew might be important factors if you’re buying one and only one board. You’re riding a medium size board so let me guess your 140 to 160 pounds.

If I guessed correctly a HL Broadcsat 5.6 is OK but a little on the big side. Maybe a Broadcast 4.9. Again I’ve seen Phase 5 boards but I’ve never ridden one so I can’t speak to them. There are tons of really good boards.

Let’s get some more information. Look at the list of questions in the link which ones jump out at you?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-21-2008, 10:17 PM Reply   
if your advanced.. get a walzer
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
i am a little liter i am a 100 pounds thanks for the info
Old     (ianhedburg)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-22-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
What ever you do, don't go hyperlite...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-22-2008, 1:09 PM Reply   
I disagree. The HL Broadcast is excellent for the first timers.

If you want to go high end then a Walker Project Bullet could be a lot of fun. However, plan to spend more time learning.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-22-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
how is the hyperelite coex or cwb tsunamie
Old     (cmcathy1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-23-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
I just got started wake surfing. I have the Hyperlite Broadcast and I have really enjoyed it. If you want to get more aggressive with it, you can remove or replace the fins to fit you riding level.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2008, 2:18 PM Reply   
that is really cool thanks so much what other features does it have? or if they know if cwb tsunamie or hyperlite coex or phase 5 icon are better
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-23-2008, 4:21 PM Reply   
The Broadcast is clearly a good beginner’s board. It's stable and easy to ride, it's forgiving. The board is a little on the slow side but not too bad. With all three fins installed it’s very difficult to spin. Removing fins loosen up the ride.

You do care if the board doesn't fit in a wake board rack? It the board has to fit in a board rack then your probably looking at a skim style board.

Do you wand to do shov-its, if so you probably want a skim board.

If you want to boost air, well you can do that on skim and surf style boards but you might want a surf style board.

Do you want a basic board to learn on or are you looking to rapidly grow your skills?

How mush does cost impact the decision. Better boards cost more - generally.

What’s the best board – no one can answer that question – it depends on what you want to do.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2008, 7:21 PM Reply   
I want to get big air but also to do shov-its. i am learning butt i want somthing that will fit high skills "cause" i want to learn quik. cost does not impact my decision.

heres the info if this helps. thanks.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-23-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
My disclaimer. I'm not a team rider and I don't have a financial connection to any wakesurf manufacturers. However, some of these manufacturers have donated boards to events that I have organized.

I'd forget the HL and CWBs boards then.

Take a look at the Calibrated, Walker Project, Walzer, Inland Surfer 4 Skim, and Phase 5. I've ridden all but the Phase 5.

If cost is not an issue buy a surf style board too. Look at the IS Yellow (green), Shred Stixx, and Walker Project Bullet or F-18.

There are other great boards but I'm at the edge of my experience here.

Good luck and let us know what you do and how it turns out.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Dyllon,

Since cost is not an issue, I think you are looking in the wrong direction. I wouldn't recommend looking at a hyperlite, liquid force or CWB board. Don't know much about Phase 5 but I know the world champ rides a Phase 5. There are a lot of good skim or hybrid board that should fit your needs. If your look through older threads on this forum, there is a wealth of knowledge on selecting a board.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
cool, thanks. i really like how the cwb, hiperlite have tree fins cost is an issue i guess i would not buy any higher than 500$. l ike i want a well known brand like those. cool. thank you
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-23-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
So if the brand is well known, like Bayliner is for boats, then you want a Bayliner, right?

Three fins poorly placed does not a make good board. I don't think that the Hyperlight is going to take you much over beginner. I've never ridden a CWB.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-23-2008, 8:53 PM Reply   
cool, so that norrows it down to cwb tsunami, or phase five icon. thank you
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-24-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
if i were you i would get the prop.i have no idea how much you weigh but you can grow into the prop.the cwb and the hyperlite my gramps can ride.the icon goes up to like 155lbs i am pretty sure.
Old    boardco13            04-24-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Here is the difference between the phase 5 icon and the tsunami - the tsunami will be more of a carver feeling board and will be easier to ride, but the Phase 5 will be easier to spin and to maneuver. If it is a board for multiple people to ride then the tsunami would probably be a better bet, but if it is just for you then the phase 5 may be better - either way you are getting a great board.

Oh, and if you are looking at the Phase 5 Icon, I would seriously recommend looking at the smaller Drew Danielo pro model. Its Drew's board, but it is actually a little easier to ride than the icon - its faster and all over just a superior board. The Drew Danielo board is the one I use most often and all around seems to be the most popular among my friends and those I know who have tried it.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-24-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
i weigh 100 pound the tsunami is it a good board for spins and air if you take out some fins?
Old     (wakelover04)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-24-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
My buddie rides the nami he went from the prop to the nami.He liked the way the prop spun and easy for shuv's and floaters.the nami floats higher in the water way more boyant and is alittle bigger for you and if u take out the fins it would have as much drive.dude justgowith the phase five u wont regret it.it will take u alittle longer to learn to ride it bu once you learn how it is amazing.Look at the top pros who is riding the nami or who is riding a phase five.exactly noone is riding the nami and alot are riding the phase fives
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-25-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
cool thanks man!
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-25-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
does the tasunami have eva grip or rubber
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-25-2008, 11:49 PM Reply   
eva foam, i think thats what you call it. I have one that I ride and don't think it is rubber.
Old     (d_h_wake)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-26-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
cool thanks