Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-02-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
My friends and I are thinking about going to Lake Powell next summer for a wakeboarding trip. We are going to trailer the boat all the way from Texas up there then rent a houseboat etc.. Ok this thread it to give ideas of great places to ski and any companies that are good to deal with. Who has the nicest boats for the cheapest prices? Basically any advice that you might have for a newbie to Lake Powell.

Thanks,
Preston
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
Only two places to rent from.

http://www.lakepowell.com/houseboats.php

http://www.azmarinas.com/AntelopePoint/

We have rented numerous times from the first link and are always happy. The second link is new and have nice boats and nominally better pricing.

There really is no "best place to ski." The further you get away, the more likely you will be away from people. Even close, early morning and evening are GREAT. We usually stay close enough to drive the tow boats to a marina to gas up. Lake Powell is more the experience for us, not just 24 hour a day riding.

There have been some good threads on this forum related to costs, breakdowns ect.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
Lake Powell is fantastic. I highly recommend going.

The exact experience, best places etc. will vary greatly with water level, which varies greatly on Lake Powell. I believe that the lake is so far down right now that you probably couldn't even get to my favorite spots.

My best suggestion is to make sure that you don't bring too many boats. One ski boat is enough. If I went again I would bring my inflatable so that I could explore the narrow canyons, but anything else just becomes a burden. The ski boat MUST have a bimini!

If you have two boats (other than the houseboat) I would predict that you tow one of them half the time. This really slows down the houseboat, which makes it really difficult to cover much of the lake.

Don't be afraid to load the houseboat up! Forget the number of beds the houseboat has, it's much cooler to sleep on the top! 12 people on a 50' boat is not crowded at all, and I have had as many as 18.