Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-30-2013, 5:27 PM Reply   
Hi folks,
Looking at a Malibu 2000 VLX Sunsetter. They say this boat is a Diamond hull. Can anybody tell me what a Diamond hull is, and the overall characteristics of this boat. I mostly wake, but wake surf here and there. It has the Monsoon 325 hp motor. I tried to do a search on this and now I have a headache. Thanks for any info.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-30-2013, 9:17 PM Reply   
I have never heard of "vlx" and "sun setter" in the same model. I have only heard of vlx wakesetter's. I am by no means an authority though. I would check to make sure it is indeed a vlx
Old     (beleza)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2013, 9:24 PM Reply   
yep there are definitely sunsetter vlx's. I've owned one. Same thing as a wakesetter vlx without the ballast and graphics. Great all around boat. Very solid. Takes some weight to get a good wake but I really like the shape. Never surfed behind it so I can't help a there.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-30-2013, 9:31 PM Reply   
The Sunsetter VLX is The identical boat to a wakesetter VLX minus the wakesetter graphics, ballast ,tower, and some other options.

The kicker here is this particular VLX has the Diamond hull instead of the wake hull. Maliubu offers two hulls to help their V'drives achieve a great crossover status. The diamond hull takes more weight than the wake hull for boarding and wont have the kick the wake hull does either. It really depends on your riding level. The diamond hull puts out great intermediate wake for boarding and makes a better all around boat to ski and board. If you are usuing the boat strictly for wakeboarding though I would opt for the wake hull
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2013, 4:51 AM Reply   
Every single post above has incorrect information:

- 2000 Sunsetter VLX could be optioned with ballast and a tower.
- 2000 Sunsetter VLX is the exact same hull (SV23 Wake) as the 2000 Wakesetter VLX
- 2001 was the first year for the SV23 diamond in a V-drive. That was the 2001 Sunsetter VLX, which was the only available hull on that boat for 2001.
- 2001 was the last year for the Sunsetter VLX and the only year it ever had the SV23 Diamond.
- 2001 Sunsetter VLX was replaced by the Sunscape 21 LSV, which carried on the SV23 diamond from 2002-2004.

Hope that clears things up. Personally I prefer the SV23 Diamond as the wakeboard and surf wake are almost identical but the diamond skis much better. Both hulls are very good. The SV23 Wake hull on a V-drive started in 1996 on the Sunsetter VLX and lasted through 2008 on the V-ride.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-31-2013, 9:23 AM Reply   
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Nitrousbird, are you saying the first year for the Diamond hull was 2001, so this boat is either not a Diamond hull, or not a 2000, am i reading that right. ?
Also, any thoughts from anyone on that Monsoon motor?
Thanks
Old     (chris_b)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-31-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 wake setter VLX with the 340 Monsoon motor. It has been a flawless boat. The motor is great, and the wake can be made a good size. I have run 400 lbs. ballast to 2000 lbs.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-31-2013, 6:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto96s View Post
Thanks to everyone for their responses. Nitrousbird, are you saying the first year for the Diamond hull was 2001, so this boat is either not a Diamond hull, or not a 2000, am i reading that right. ?
Also, any thoughts from anyone on that Monsoon motor?
Thanks
2001 is the first year for the SV23 Diamond hull in a V-drive.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-31-2013, 6:33 PM Reply   
Post a picture of the back of the boat. It's easy to tell a diamond hull boat apart from a wake hull boat.

Edit, never mind, just see here for explanation. http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?/page/articles.html/_/diamond-vs-wake-hull-r9
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-31-2013, 6:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Every single post above has incorrect information:

- 2000 Sunsetter VLX could be optioned with ballast and a tower.
- 2000 Sunsetter VLX is the exact same hull (SV23 Wake) as the 2000 Wakesetter VLX
- 2001 was the first year for the SV23 diamond in a V-drive. That was the 2001 Sunsetter VLX, which was the only available hull on that boat for 2001.
- 2001 was the last year for the Sunsetter VLX and the only year it ever had the SV23 Diamond.
- 2001 Sunsetter VLX was replaced by the Sunscape 21 LSV, which carried on the SV23 diamond from 2002-2004.

Hope that clears things up. Personally I prefer the SV23 Diamond as the wakeboard and surf wake are almost identical but the diamond skis much better. Both hulls are very good. The SV23 Wake hull on a V-drive started in 1996 on the Sunsetter VLX and lasted through 2008 on the V-ride.
Nitrous is half correct. I didn't really pay attention to the year just that the OP said the boat had a diamond hull. My mistake. In 2000 the wake hull was the only option, and in 2001 The Sunsetter VLX had the diamond hull and Wakesetter VLX had the SV23 wake hull. However you could still order Wakesetters on diamond hulls after they discontinued the Sunsetter VLX nomenclature.

No VLX ever came standard with tower, ballast, pp, or Wakesetter graphics/gel schemes where as the Wakesetter had that all standard as part of the Wakesetter "package" . Nobody ever said it couldn't be optioned in. Sure you could add them to any VLX, but again as a standard options they were not there. Back in those days it was very rare to have a Sunseter VLX from the factory with wake options, same goes for the Nautique SuperSports.

Last edited by xstarrider; 03-31-2013 at 7:01 PM.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-01-2013, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Nitrous is half correct. I didn't really pay attention to the year just that the OP said the boat had a diamond hull. My mistake. In 2000 the wake hull was the only option, and in 2001 The Sunsetter VLX had the diamond hull and Wakesetter VLX had the SV23 wake hull. However you could still order Wakesetters on diamond hulls after they discontinued the Sunsetter VLX nomenclature.

No VLX ever came standard with tower, ballast, pp, or Wakesetter graphics/gel schemes where as the Wakesetter had that all standard as part of the Wakesetter "package" . Nobody ever said it couldn't be optioned in. Sure you could add them to any VLX, but again as a standard options they were not there. Back in those days it was very rare to have a Sunseter VLX from the factory with wake options, same goes for the Nautique SuperSports.
No, I am 100% correct:
- Wakesetter VLX (again, we are talking V-drives here) could NOT be ordered with the SV23 Diamond hull, only the wake hull. That's why they created the Sunscape 21 LSV. That's not the case with the direct drive, as you could have a Wakesetter LXi with the SV23 Diamond.

- SS VLX couldn't come with the Wakesetter graphics.

- Perfect Pass was an option on the SV23 Wakesetter VLX, not standard. A lot of Wakesetters didn't get PP.

- For the two years being discussed (2000 and 2001), the tower was an option the Wakesetter - 2002 was the first year it was standard. Obviously most if not all Wakesetters were ordered with one, but it was an option just like it was on the Sunsetter. Even more oddly is The Wedge was not available on the Wakesetter VLX until 2002, and then just as an option. It was an option on the '01 SS VLX.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-01-2013, 10:42 AM Reply   
Awesome boat. And I believe Nitrousbird is right.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-01-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
Nitrous is correct.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-01-2013, 5:10 PM Reply   
I think the discrepancy is coming in as I started to speak in general terms regarding the Malibu Wakesetter line just trying to give the op a brief overview on the hulls where Nitrous is giving exact year model specifics pertaining to this exact Wakesetter VLX boat. A mistake on my part indeed. I was just trying to give the op a quick rundown in the event he looks at other Malibus regarding the Diamond hull Wake hull debacle and to make sure he understands some Wakesetter tagged boats can come with either hull.

Nitrous is speaking wakeboarding options being added, I am speaking in standards regarding base packages between non Wakesetter and Wakesetter models. There are plenty of Wakesetters with options of diamond hulls throughout the Malibu line from its inception of a badge til today. Not specific to the this exact Wakesetter VLX exact boat. Again my bad on going off on the Wakestter/Malibu line in general and not sticking to the ops single question later on in my post. Almost every non Wakesetter tagged boat can be optioned with ialmost dentical options...... minus gel schemes, but in a majority of the cases the no- Wakesetter models were bought because the original purchasers or dealers didn't want the wakestuff on the boat.

Last edited by xstarrider; 04-01-2013 at 5:18 PM.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2013, 6:55 AM Reply   
Diamond hull is for skiing, the wake should flatten out around 30mph, if you only wakeboard and surf stay away from the diamond hull.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2013, 11:04 AM Reply   
I owned a 2000 Wakesetter VLX for 10 years. It was a solid boat. I ordered it with the center bladder. I plumbed in a nice rear ballast system. I also hand filled a big bag in the bow. With this, I got a nice but rampy wake. Not as vertical as I wanted. And, trying to make it more vertical by loading the rear would put the boat on the edge of porpoising. So, the boat always left me with a little vert envy.

I also know a serious wakeboarder who owned the 2001 Sunsetter VLX with the Diamond hull who was horribly unhappy with the wake production because the boat was much harder to sink (since it is much better for skiing).

So, it's all about your wake demands.

Last edited by diamonddad; 04-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-02-2013, 4:12 PM Reply   
Thanks to everyone again for their input. I still have a problem in that the owner claims it is a Diamond hull, and yet a 2000 Sunsetter. The hull is not exactly like the great comparison shown above by Tom. I can not figure out how to post the picture off only inboards here, so I think this is a link to the picture of the back of the hull:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36965#

. If anyone has time to look and make sure it is not a Diamond hull, I would really appreciate it. I am only interested in wakeboarding and surfing, and only shopping for a new boat because I recently waked behind a Malibu V ride, and was so impressed with the wake, I am trying to find something similar. I am actually thinking about driving all the way down to test drive and possibly purchase the boat, but from what I am hearing I will not be happy with the Diamond hull. I currently own a 96 Centurion Elite V, and I believe it is time to step up to the next level in wake size and quality. I realize this is not a V Ride, but several people have said the SV23 hull is a great wake hull. I also do not want to make this trip if there is any chance it is a Diamond hull(maybe he does not know what year he has??) Any other input is welcome as well.
Thanks
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-02-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
One more thing, Nitrous, I just reread the whole post and forgot your comment that both Diamond and straight SV23 are very good. Could you look at the pics and see if it is the hull you are referring to. I have 2- 400 lb fat sacs I could take down to test it with, and could probably get 2 more or a bow bag before I go down. This boat has no ballast system at all, so I would be adding one after I buy it.
Thanks.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2013, 4:28 PM Reply   
People may be mistaken about the timing -- here's another 2000 Sunsetter with the Diamond Hull.

http://inboardsolutions.com.au/Our-B...wakeboard-boat

Based on your wake/surf preference, I would encourage you to steer 100% clear of the diamond hull.

Last edited by diamonddad; 04-02-2013 at 4:31 PM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
Here's how you tell.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...s-wake-hull-r9

looks like it's pretty obviously not the diamond.

My old vride:

Chine looks the same as on the boat on OIB. Looks pretty clean too. Flush pro would have me wondering about salt on a FL boat, but the pics sure look good.

Last edited by shawndoggy; 04-02-2013 at 4:41 PM.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
People may be mistaken about the timing -- here's another 2000 Sunsetter with the Diamond Hull.

http://inboardsolutions.com.au/Our-B...wakeboard-boat

Based on your wake/surf preference, I would encourage you to steer 100% clear of the diamond hull.
That's the same boat.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-02-2013, 4:42 PM Reply   
IMO, the VLX wake was much improved on the 05-08 VLX which became the VRIDE in 09-??.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
When you go down to check it out, bring a slalom ski and then feign being all butt hurt when you confront the seller with the fact that it's not the diamond hull. Show him the pics from themalibucrew and make him reduce the price.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-02-2013, 4:58 PM Reply   
Shawndoggy,
That is a pretty great picture. It looks like the same hull to me, at least from the back.
And that was a V Ride??
How did you like the wake on it?
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-02-2013, 5:05 PM Reply   
Good tactic Shawndoggy,
As long as I haven't got 20 other people making offers on it now that I have shown it here!!!
Come on you guys, I saw it first.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-02-2013, 5:11 PM Reply   
The oib ad looks like a diamond hull boat to me. Clearly has turned down chines on the side.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2013, 5:12 PM Reply   
I'm no wakeboard hero by any means and the wake was plenty for my modest skills. We sold because we wanted something bigger and a better surf boat. Well that and the Mrs. gave the go ahead, and y'all know how rare those can be....
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-02-2013, 5:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
The oib ad looks like a diamond hull boat to me. Clearly has turned down chines on the side.
I think it's just the angle of the pic. It COULD be though.... the malibucrew pics sure look more obvious.
Old     (elbastardo)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-02-2013, 9:39 PM Reply   
There's a simple and foolproof answer here -- get the HIN from the seller, then call Malibu and ask them if that boat is a diamond or wake hull.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
I know this is crude, but here is a comparison between shawndoggy's hull and the OIB ad. I see a clear difference

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2013, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
Diamond hull is for skiing, the wake should flatten out around 30mph, if you only wakeboard and surf stay away from the diamond hull.
The wakes below 28MPH are pretty much identical with the Diamond vs Wake hull. This is a common misconception as people want to think if one hull is better for skiing it must not be good for surfing/wakeboarding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
I owned a 2000 Wakesetter VLX for 10 years. It was a solid boat. I ordered it with the center bladder. I plumbed in a nice rear ballast system. I also hand filled a big bag in the bow. With this, I got a nice but rampy wake. Not as vertical as I wanted. And, trying to make it more vertical by loading the rear would put the boat on the edge of porpoising. So, the boat always left me with a little vert envy.

I also know a serious wakeboarder who owned the 2001 Sunsetter VLX with the Diamond hull who was horribly unhappy with the wake production because the boat was much harder to sink (since it is much better for skiing).
Your boat needed The Wedge. Though not an option on the '00 and '01 Wakesetter, it could be added after the fact and would have likely made you happier with the wake shape. You also needed more bow ballast - the SV23 hull really loves bow ballast.

I don't see how the '01 SS VLX was any harder to sink - it is the same hull as yours was with different chine to smooth out the high-speed wake. It sinks exactly the same way as a SV23 wake hull.

Quote:
Thanks to everyone again for their input. I still have a problem in that the owner claims it is a Diamond hull, and yet a 2000 Sunsetter. The hull is not exactly like the great comparison shown above by Tom. I can not figure out how to post the picture off only inboards here, so I think this is a link to the picture of the back of the hull:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=36965#
That '00 Sunsetter is clearly a wake hull. Even the wake hull has a slight turn-down, but not as pronounced as the diamond. But I think you have a misconception that the diamond hull = bad wakeboarding/surfing wake. It just isn't the case.

Quote:
The Wake Hull also has slightly turned down chines. That is a wake hull. If you get the HIN you can also decode it to determine the hull. This is a SV23 Diamond Hull:
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2013, 6:12 AM Reply   
I don't know, it looks close to me.

Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-03-2013, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
I don't know, it looks close to me.
Here is the Wake Hull - see how it also curves down a little bit, just like the OIB boat.

Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-03-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
yeah you're right, I'm seeing now that it appears to be a better match to the wake hull
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-03-2013, 7:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
I know this is crude, but here is a comparison between shawndoggy's hull and the OIB ad. I see a clear difference

That is a wake hull. The diamond hull and wake hull are not very different at wakeboard speeds anyways.

Last edited by MrPeepers; 04-03-2013 at 7:39 AM.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-03-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
The wakes below 28MPH are pretty much identical with the Diamond vs Wake hull. This is a common misconception as people want to think if one hull is better for skiing it must not be good for surfing/wakeboarding.

Your boat needed The Wedge. Though not an option on the '00 and '01 Wakesetter, it could be added after the fact and would have likely made you happier with the wake shape. You also needed more bow ballast - the SV23 hull really loves bow ballast.

I don't see how the '01 SS VLX was any harder to sink - it is the same hull as yours was with different chine to smooth out the high-speed wake. It sinks exactly the same way as a SV23 wake hull.

That '00 Sunsetter is clearly a wake hull. Even the wake hull has a slight turn-down, but not as pronounced as the diamond. But I think you have a misconception that the diamond hull = bad wakeboarding/surfing wake. It just isn't the case.

The Wake Hull also has slightly turned down chines. That is a wake hull. If you get the HIN you can also decode it to determine the hull. This is a SV23 Diamond Hull:
Woops. I responded one post too early. This sums it up nicely.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-03-2013, 8:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
You also needed more bow ballast - the SV23 hull really loves bow ballast.
It is true that the SV23 needs bow ballast. But, I did not need more. I perfected my wake for years so you should refrain from telling me what I needed.

Regarding the diamond hull, I still think the proper advice to someone wanting a WAKE/SURF boat is for them to avoid the diamond hull from this vintage of Malibu boat.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-22-2013, 4:03 PM Reply   
OKguys, I bought it. Haven't had much time to play around yet, but want to order ballast for the front tomorrow. It does not look like there is a heck of alot of room under the front seats for an integrated bow sack. Anybody have a good set up to weight the front of this boat and leave the front seats clear? Any ballast set ups in general are welcome. I don't really want to slam it yet, I'm just not that good. But I have two 42x16x16 400lb sacs for the rear lockers to start with and would like to balance the boat from there. If possible leave the seats open, but if I just need to put the big triangular bow bag up front on top of the seats, so be it.
If i order tomorrow I can get them by the weekend.
By the way, I can't get to my PMs again. Happened about 6 month ago also. Anybody know how to fix?
Thanks
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-22-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
OKguys, I bought it. Haven't had much time to play around yet, but want to order ballast for the front tomorrow. It does not look like there is a heck of alot of room under the front seats for an integrated bow sack. Anybody have a good set up to weight the front of this boat and leave the front seats clear? Any ballast set ups in general are welcome. I don't really want to slam it yet, I'm just not that good. But I have two 42x16x16 400lb sacs for the rear lockers to start with and would like to balance the boat from there. If possible leave the seats open, but if I just need to put the big triangular bow bag up front on top of the seats, so be it.
If i order tomorrow I can get them by the weekend.
By the way, I can't get to my PMs again. Happened about 6 month ago also. Anybody know how to fix?
Thanks
Try logging out and then logging back in.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-22-2013, 4:27 PM Reply   
That did it polar bill. Thanks!
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-22-2013, 4:37 PM Reply   
so which hull was it? Enquiring minds want to know.

The U shaped bow sack will fit up front under the seats. Should be able to get 300+/- in it.

If you don't tow a lot you could probably get a couple hundred in lead way up in the tip of the bow.
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-22-2013, 4:50 PM Reply   
Hey Shawndoggy!
It is not the diamond hull as nitrous and several others said.
The boat is pretty nice. The motor is actually as clean as it looks on top and underneath.
The motor is so much easier to get at and work on than my Centurian.
The trailer is pretty awesome too.
When you say the u shaped bow sac do you mean the Fly High integrated bow sac? It's kind of almost y shaped, right?
Or is there another type out there?
Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-22-2013, 4:51 PM Reply   
Correct that, I mean "V" shaped.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-22-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
w711. this one:

Old     (moto96s)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-22-2013, 5:08 PM Reply   
Great,
Thanks