Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old    whitechocolate            03-14-2004, 7:00 PM Reply   
Hi I was wondering if any one here has stayed at or boated near Konocti Harbor Inn. Im planning on going late in April early May. We were going to stay at the http://konoctiharbor.com/ It looks real nice. Just wonderd what to expect as far as water conditions that time of year and where to ride?
Old    walt            03-14-2004, 7:51 PM Reply   
Grant,
I've spent a fair amount of time on clear lake fishing and I would never consider it a good ski or wakeboard lake.
Most of the time the wind is up and clear lake can get really big fast. It's the second largest natural lake in Ca.
I was always up there in the summer so I cant really say how it would be in spring time.
there are a few other things that put people off about clear lake like the heavy algae bloom in the summer and hydrilla like you have never seen !
With all that said Konocti is a great place to party or see a show.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-14-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
yea it really gets choppy out there but the resort is nice. i just went to the Lynard Skynard concert there a couple of weeks ago and it was crazy.
Old    whitechocolate            03-14-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
Would you say it would be worth bringing my boat. Im there for a Evenmt and thought it would be cool to hang out on the lake during the day, but if its crappy I can leave it at home.
Old    whitechocolate            03-14-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
Would you say it would be worth bringing my boat. Im there for a event and thought it would be cool to hang out on the lake during the day, but if its crappy I can leave it at home.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-14-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
take your boat
Old    walt            03-15-2004, 4:42 AM Reply   
Grant bring it cuz you know it will be butter if you dont! Then you will be pissed.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-15-2004, 7:23 AM Reply   
Clear Lake=White trash.LOL.
Lock everything up!There are a few really good spots on the lake,but I wouldn't walk away from my stuff for too long.If you have a secure boat dock than it should be cool.Water is generally warmer due to it's shallow depth.It's dirty ,like the delta.
Which event you going to see?
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-15-2004, 7:49 AM Reply   
Grant -

We go to Konocti for a concert almost every year. We always take our boat but Clear Lake clearly is not for everyone. The name itself is an oxymoron as the water is very green with algae. Problem is the lake is very shallow and very warm...you can smell it as you come over the ridge on your way down into Konocti. If you don't mind spending some time cleaning the boat and trailer (you'll pick up hydrilla coming in and out of the water) then it's not a bad place. Far as Konocti is concerned, the rooms are great, the outside ampitheater is a kick ass venue for a concert and the people up there are very nice. Konocti is owned by the Plumbers Union, so you get a mixed bag crowd. We've never had any problems with theft of any kind...last September for the Alan Jackson concert we left our boat tied up to Konocti's dock and had no problems.

Far as skiing and boarding go, Clearlake isn't the greatest place. Even when the lake looks like glass you still get lots of rollers. There are a few decent places to ride. Directly to the left of Konocti in the cove in front of the big houses, to the right and around the bend in the huge cove back there, and if you go around the bend to the left way around theres another cove back in there that can be decent. All this depends on the number of boats, amount of wind, etc...just like any other lake you go to.

Hope this helps. Bring the boat...if you don't you'll be disappointed. Worse comes to worse you can crack a beer and listen to some tunes in the middle of the lake!!

Old    whitechocolate            03-15-2004, 8:21 AM Reply   
Rich Im going for a Rotery event. My Father is district governer, They have a governer's ball at the end of each governers end term. My father has asked the whole family to attend for his going away ball, and said there is on lake to sweeten the deal. Seeing as Im sure he know nothing about local water conditions ect, I thought I would as my friends here. So it sounds like it will be a ok place to bring the boat and hang out worst come to worst.
Would the boat be safer on the Konocti Harbor dock im not sure if they have security or in the parking lot with a cover on it???
Have you ever been out on Konocti and the wind picked up while you were out and made it danerous getting back?

Thanks for all you help
Old    whitechocolate            03-15-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Rich: Im going for a Rotery event. My Father is district governer, They have a governer's ball at the end of each governers end term. My Father has asked the whole family to attend for his going away ball, and said there is on lake to sweeten the deal. Seeing as Im sure he knows nothing about local water conditions ect, I thought I would as my friends here.

So it sounds like it will be a ok place to bring the boat and hang out worst come to worst.
Would the boat be safer at night on the Konocti Harbor dock, im not sure if they have security. Or the parking lot with a cover on it???

SANGeRIA:
Have you ever been out on Konocti and the wind picked up while you were out and made it danerous getting back?

Thanks for all your help
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-15-2004, 9:01 AM Reply   
I think they do have security,I'd call and make sure though.I believe it was patroled and they had video cameras.Been years since I've been there.Konocti itself is nice,but the surrounding area is meth city.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-15-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
Grant -

Never had a problem getting back in big water...you can always hug the shore and you'll be ok. No need to venture too far from Konocti...lake is huge but the best water is right nearby. I've left my boat in the Konocti slips overnight a number of times. Only problem I've ever had was a varmint crapped in the footwell behind my bass tube. Stunk like crazy...should have brought my cover!!! There is security there but the docks aren't gated so if somebody wanted to take something there wouldn't be a lot to stop them. They don't allow boats to be parked right outside your unit/room so either way, on the trailer or in the water is six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other.
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-15-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   

Your boat will turn GREEN..

Mike
Old    jetgofish            03-15-2004, 3:31 PM Reply   
Grant - Going in April or May will not make your boat turn GREEN. Algea bloom isn't until June - August. I've splent plenty of days fishing bass tournaments at the lake, though it's not the best place to wakeboard! Head over to Soda Bay or Konocti Bay for riding,the water is faily deep there and during the day depending on wind direction you can find shelter.....You'll be there during a good month and time ENJOY!!!
Old     (prior40)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-15-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
clear lake is awesome, the water doesn't turn over till late summer and there is plenty of glass before 3pm. the konocti part of the lake is the worst cause it's the most congested. the open areas by lakeport are awesome. i have been going there my whole life and will never ahve anything bad to say about it, just the people who bad mouth it after one visit in late july or august.
Old    jiwilson            03-22-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
Hi I grew up there. The best water for wakeboarding/skiing prior to late June is on the south west area of the lake (between Konocti Harbor Inn and Lakeport. The area right in front of Konocti is always very rough as the valley is pinched there and the winds are forced through a narrow opening. In late summer, the best water is on the northshore (Lucerne & Nice areas) as the winds blow the algae south and east.
As far as safety/theft, that area of the county is the "upper class" so it usually isn't a problem. The east end of the lake (City of Clearlake, Lower Lake, Glenhaven) is where all of the "white trash" resides.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-22-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
I grew up going to Konocti and have now been for the last 3 years again. We like to rent a house close to Konocti better then staying there though. Unless you're staying in one of their "beach front cottages", the slip for your dock can be pretty far from your room. Riding is only good to the right of Konocti by Lakeport as stated before. You can find descent water in the morning but I would definitely still bring the boat. We normally do a midnight run with a few boats and tie up in the middle of the lake for our own party. Also, the croud at Konocti completely depends on the band that is playing so choose the right weekend.
Old    whitechocolate            03-22-2004, 10:52 PM Reply   
Is any one planning on going the weekend of April 30th? Ill be there Friday-Sunday, I would be down for a Midnight run/party! I got the DVD and 3 Screens in the boat so we can rock some videos or whatever
Old    jetgofish            03-23-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Grant I might be down for that!
Old    whitechocolate            03-23-2004, 8:28 PM Reply   
Teri: My brothers not bringing his boat, So If you were thinking of comming with us its gonna be tight.