Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-08-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
I am someone who does just as much night cruising as the next guy. It has always been a big thing to do with my friends and family. Right before we open up the coolers after dinner we load up, turn on the interior LEDs, get some tunes going (for the ears in the boat not on shore) and idle around to wherever we want. Personally there is nothing more aggravating than a boat that isn't lighted properly. As someone said once your eyes adjust you can see the whole lake. However, when you run your lights that are directioned in front of you on a mirrored surface all you are doing is making glare for yourself and everyone else. On top of that your lights blend in with the lights on peoples dock. Not to mention that the light radiating from your beams make your marker lights practically invisible. So when you are coming towards me I really cannot tell where you are and due to your decreased visibility I don't know if you see me.

As for larger boats, like on Deadliest Catch, they are in a whole other class in the way they navigate. Although their marker requirements are more numerous than ours they actually do more of their navigation now through the use of radar. Also, whenever these guys are navigating through the high seas that they do their light set up is actually beneficial. One can argue "Well why do they get to use lights and confuse smaller boats." Well first of all I doubt many of you run in the same water that they do. Second of all, if you run your little 22 foot boat into a 120 foot fishing barge you suck at life and probably need to take the boaters safety course as mentioned.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-08-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
so are interior leds legal? in ga or sc?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-08-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Awesome. 13 year old Jordan spells, speaks, and types better than 19/29 year old Go Big! And he gets the docking lights thing.

The was just the wrong place to rant about how doing illegal stuff and getting busted sucks.

I'm going to start a thread about how messed up BUI laws are.
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-10-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
Hahaha. Nice.. How messed up BUI laws are.. haha
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-13-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Sorry for bringing back an older thread.

murph, responding to your question, I honestly do not know. However, I will go out on a limb here and say that the legality of it depends on your judgment. If it is something that can been seen from an approaching boat at water level I am for sure it can be seen by the water patrol as well and you could be cited. I wanted to put LEDs in my vent but decided against it due to this. I even thought of wiring the external LEDs on a separate switch, but if I wasn't going to be able to run them all the time there was no reason in wasting my time. If you are lighted like mine I doubt you will run into any problems. All of my lights are located in the inside of the boat and shine towards to floor. You cannot see them unless inside the boat or standing directly above it.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-13-2009, 3:43 PM Reply   
We're at 85 posts about tower lights being illegal