Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-13-2013, 11:27 AM Reply   
long story short, my 17 y/o son totalled my 2002 F250 Lariat. (he is/was fine but truck was not).

so i'm shopping for a replacement and can't come to a decision.

My requirements are: Crew Cab, Diesel and i'm iffy on 4x4. I could convince myself that i don't need 4x4 easily enough, because the last truck didn't have it and it was never a problem.... but it would be nice to have it.

the part I'm stuck on is I have a budget (somewhat imposed by my wife) that would put me in about 2011 loaded lariat territory at the top end of that budget.
However, that's still a lot of damn money to spend on a vehicle. So i could step back to a 2008-2010 models and save about 8k. But i can't decide if it's worth it to save 8grand when I'm already spending a small fortune, because w/the +2011's i get the newer body style, and the newest engine (6.7 vs 6.4 diesel). and of course, if i drop the 4x4 AND go w/an older model, I can save around 10 grand, which is more significant.. but then i'm having to give up the 4x4 and then leather, etc. :-(
What i'm seeing is that there's not THAT big of a price drop between a 2010 and a 2011 (like you'd think there'd be due to the re-design) and there's not THAT big of a price drop between XLT and Lariat in most cases. It seems like the prices i'm finding are driven mostly by yr and mileage.
The Dave Ramsey answer is eff it... pay cash for a 15-20 yr old truck and live w/it!
Every time I convince myself to go with the absolute cheapest that fits my most basic requirements, then i'm like, well hell, for just a few thousand more, I can get a newer and nicer model... NONE of them are cheap. And I kept my last truck for 12 yrs and plan to keep the next one at least as long.. which also is a factor.
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-13-2013, 11:39 AM Reply   
If I were you I would look for a another 00-03 7.3, anyday over the 6.4. Just seems like everyone I know with a 6.4 has had multiple issues with them. I have not done a whole lot of research or heard feedback on the newer 6.7 but you cannot find them cheap thats for sure.
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-13-2013, 11:51 AM Reply   
I vote for a bullet proofed 6.0. It's not even hard to find them with swapped 207 front ends, king ranch interior, etc.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-13-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
Jeremiah, I was reading (on wiki) about the fixes to the 6.0 that are supposed to mitigate most, if not all of the issues they had w/that engine. How would you really know if it had been done?
There's definitely a dip/drop off in prices once you get into the 6.0L diesel. But that brings me back to my point that if I plan to keep the truck for 10 yrs or more, I'd rather not start with one that's already 7-8 yrs old.
In the end I just keep trying to justify the choice i think I've already made: A lower mileage 2011 Lariat, 6.7L 4x4 short bed. it's what i "want" but way more than i "need". I just wish they were about 10k less than they are. Well, at least interest rates are still pretty good.
Old     (psherer)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-13-2013, 1:27 PM Reply   
the 6.7's are awesome. I have heard nothing but good things from people who drive them. I would not suggest the 6.4's. My college roommate used to have one and it had less than 60,000miles and he was already having troubles. (thankfully he was still covered by warranty) which is another great feature of the 6.7's they are still under warranty and will be for a while.

On another note, the 6.0 can be a very nice motor if it's bulletproofed. I would make sure, if you decide to go 6.0 route, that you have enough room in the purchase price to possibly invest another $4,000-5,000 to bulletproof it, even if the seller says it's already been done. I would pay $100-200 for a shop to verify that before buying it or even after (if the deal is good enough).

ORRR you could always go with the most reliably motor out there the 5.9l Cummins that's what i have and I love it. Don't get me wrong the Ford's are awesome trucks exterior and interior but the motors have not proven them selves yet. My next truck will most likely be a Ford, if they can prove the motors longevity.

just my $0.02
Old     (machloosy)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-14-2013, 5:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder View Post
Jeremiah, I was reading (on wiki) about the fixes to the 6.0 that are supposed to mitigate most, if not all of the issues they had w/that engine. How would you really know if it had been done?
There's definitely a dip/drop off in prices once you get into the 6.0L diesel. But that brings me back to my point that if I plan to keep the truck for 10 yrs or more, I'd rather not start with one that's already 7-8 yrs old.
In the end I just keep trying to justify the choice i think I've already made: A lower mileage 2011 Lariat, 6.7L 4x4 short bed. it's what i "want" but way more than i "need". I just wish they were about 10k less than they are. Well, at least interest rates are still pretty good.
I should have clarified, if you can afford the 6.7 and the captain approves, then by all means, buy one. But if you're looking for the cheaper alternative, go with the 6.0 even over the 6.4 in my opinion. Look for reciepts as proof. Since it's anywhere from 6-12K depending on the work, these guys generally like to "showoff" the proof i.e. receipts. The magic combo is: ARP Studs, Ford OEM Gaskets, EGR Delete(various brands), and a bigger aftermarket oil cooler. One other thing, check the turbo. The 6.0 is the first of the variable vane turbo's, so if you buy a truck that was babied, you'll be replacing the turbo. On the other hand, trucks that where driven hard have turbo's in much better shape. Occasionally the turbo oil lines need replacing.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-14-2013, 7:22 AM Reply   
psherer, quit poking holes in my brain! lol. i've spent so much time researching Super Duty's but have now heard it enough times to consider the cummins... so now it's back to the drawing board i guess. I always have noticed that it sure seems like there are a lot of RAM 3500's pulling goose-neck flatbeds on the highways. I had a Dodge 1500 in '99 and the fit and finish was a bit lacking, my brother-in-law has a '11 or '12 1/2 ton model and he too is disappointed in the fit and finish. but i know others who are die hard RAM fans and love theirs. The fact that Ford has changed out engines so many times over the last decade is certainly a concern.
I truly have analysis paralysis on this issue.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-14-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
Duramax

Sorry I had to.
I'm kinda of in the same boat, just not looking to spend as much. 6.4 can be good but if any thing goes wrong they have to remove the whole cab to fix it which is expensive. 6.7 is good too I just don't know enough about it yet. I almost 99% sure I'm going to go with a duramax, great engine and great transmission. And a better interior than the dodge.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-14-2013, 1:15 PM Reply   
If you are keeping the truck 10+ years get the newest one you can get and get 4x4.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-19-2013, 9:38 AM Reply   
well, I ended up getting a new (2013) Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7l Cummins, 4x4.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       08-19-2013, 9:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyder View Post
well, I ended up getting a new (2013) Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7l Cummins, 4x4.
Good call. What made you switch? Dodge really discounts their rigs when compared to Ford/Chevy. Equal or better quality in my opinion.
Old     (michridr69)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-19-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by machloosy View Post
I vote for a bullet proofed 6.0. It's not even hard to find them with swapped 207 front ends, king ranch interior, etc.
lolz no
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       08-19-2013, 5:20 PM Reply   
If you are on the ford brand, and have the money for a 6.7. Do it.

Wouldn't get close to a 6.4 unless the money was really, and I mean really right.
Personally I passed on an 09 crew can lariat with 60k miles for 21k, which seems like a pretty darn good deal, but I think I made the wise choice of not going through.

To conclude my post, stick with the 6.7, they look nicer and from what I have experienced, read, and heard, have a pretty top notch quality.
Again with my opinion, (which who really gives a damn but I'm gonna say it anyway) my next truck will be a KR 6.7

Sent from my futuristic Apple device while in my office doing nothing.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2013, 6:03 PM Reply   
7.3L FTW. about to drop a new tranny in mine because everyone I talked to convinced me to stay in it.... by offering to buy it haha
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-20-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
Boarder85, I think I got a better deal on new (option for option) versus Ford. And I did buy for powertrain. And no one disputes the reputation of the cummins. everything else is debatable of course. I still like Ford SuperDuty's a lot. but I'm quite pleased w/my choice.
I've only had it 5 days and did a lot of stop and go local driving over the weekend, but so far I'm already getting >16mpg and once i settle back into my normal driving pattern, I think I might even get 18'ish. I'm new to the diesel thing, so still learning about the new DEF, and EPF Regen process etc, but it amazes me how much technology is put into these diesels. I also like the air brake feature, that's cool. Can't wait to hook up to a load. 800 ft-lbs of torque!
Now I need to shop for bigger tires and get the stock wheels painted black.
Attached Images

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-21-2013, 7:59 AM Reply   
We have a 2013 Ram 2500 Diesel in our fleet and he has been averaging 18-22 without towing. Towing he has averaged 16.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-09-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
Jason, have y'all gotten any Check Engine Lights on that truck?
Apparently fairly common on the 13's due to all the new emissions. I got one at about 950 miles that said my DPF system was regenerating too frequently. They did an ECM flash to the latest software version and so far no issues. A lot of people are bothered by it. But none seem to be actual issues, just sensors and parameters set too touchy. It kinda freaked me out at first, until I dug into it some more. I'd be nice to think that they would have worked all the system bugs out BEFORE putting them on the market, but i think they're caught in the middle of the power race w/Ford and GM and the stricter and stricter EPA requirements.

I got new wheels/tires though ;-)
Attached Images