Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
I was told that there are a lot of logs, branches, etc floating in the lake. Anyone been there recently that can conform or deny this? Leaving in a couple days for Antlers.

Thanks.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-10-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
YES! And it's really impossible to avoid all of them. I connected with debris nearly a dozen times a couple weeks ago. Twice I hit logs that were 6-8" in diameter. The big ones lurk beneath the surface.

Good luck.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-10-2005, 8:56 AM Reply   
I haven't been to any of the local lakes that weren't filled with debris lately. That is the unfortunate side effect of water levels being as high as they are. I was told McClure is nearly un-navigable due to debris (not sure if that is a word....huh?)
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-10-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
I was at Shasta last weekend and it wasn't too bad. Oroville was much, much worse two weeks earlier. There is some debris here and there, but you shouldn't have too many problems
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       06-10-2005, 9:42 AM Reply   
The really big stuff is easy to spot if you sit up high on the driver's seat, and most of the little stuff kind of collects together in debris fields. Most of the NorCal lakes are in the same shape due to years of drought and everything floating off the shores with the high water levels. The raging rivers are bringing it into the lakes as well.

The best thing to do is scope out your line before you start riding and find a nice clear area. Then stay in that line for a while.

If you let your kids drive, make sure they're aware of the situation before getting behind the wheel.
Old    jplorenz            06-10-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
I was there about 3 weeks ago and it was a mess up the Squaw Creek Arm. The whole arm was glass but was filled with all sorts of logs, branches, sticks, etc. It was impossible to avoid it all.
In fact, once in mid pull I heard/felt a pretty loud thunk which was immediatley followed by a dramatic drop in boat performance. I had to turn the wheel about 3/4 to the right to track straight and the perfect pass was all over the place in regards to speed - plus or minus 2-3 mph. Plus the boat just felt really weird and hard to drive at speed. Turns out a 2-3' long, 6" diameter log had jammed itself on the front tracking fin of the boat. Once I kicked it off with my foot all was back to normal. Felt very fortunate that it was a simple fix. (I knew the pair of swim goggles in keep in the boat would come in handy some day.)
Be careful and as John Klein said, scope out your water before pulling a rider and driving your boat through it.
John
Old    medwards            06-10-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
Yep, stayed at Antlers over Memorial Day and it was a mess.
Old     (migitty)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-10-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
It should be better than it was Mem Day. The lake has dropped a few feet since then. Over Mem Day, the lake was so near capicity, that there was no shoreline for the debris to stick to. This weekend, you will probably find plenty of clean water but you still have to be VERY careful. It's pretty much like this every year.