Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (above_the_levee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-29-2004, 9:27 PM Reply   
hey folks,
heading up to new melones for the first time this weekend with the family. boardstock turned out pretty sweet, we rolled with some new friends from reno on mark's x-30 and just walked right in. i think 14 mile slough was funner though....anyhow, i just wanted to know everybody's thoughts on the lake, good spots to ride, eat lunch, hang out, water temp., chop, etc. any useful info really... i know that its gonna be packed, but no problem. also, how hard of a pull is it up to arnold from there, would it be worth it to leave my boat and truck at melones, or maybe rent a slip ? i hate pulling in the mountains. all and any help will be greatly appreciated...to all the rest of the ww warriors out there, rip it this weekend for me.

thanks,
scott
Old     (pinkbike)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-29-2004, 10:08 PM Reply   
Melones is where we usally ride. For lunch just find a cove a eat there theres no real specail place there. Water is about 78-80 degrees. Most of the time it gets chopy after 10:30 to 11:00 but usally you can find a place to ride. And Im pretty sure thers no slips to rent but you could camp if that what you want to do.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-30-2004, 5:54 AM Reply   
if you can go to pedro right now. melones is so low that you cannot even make it past the second bridge. also the ramp on the tuttle side is the third down. it would normally be about 200 feet below water and is a dirt pit. our boat and trailer came out cover with dust and dirt
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-30-2004, 5:55 AM Reply   
also lots of islands and trees sticking up
Old    sonicr1            08-30-2004, 6:06 AM Reply   
I would also suggest Pedro... I've been to melones a few times this year, and have given up on that lake... it gets too windy and choppy. We camped at Pedro this weekend, and the conditions were all around better, less wind, chop, and amazingly the campsite was deserted!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
"you cannot even make it past the second bridge"

No sheit? I haven't seen it that low in years.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-30-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
it looks like a forest in the water and the rangers even tell you not to go past the second main bridge. we used to go all the way back to the train bridge about 4 years ago.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-30-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
That's too bad. That's the best place to ride.
Old     (typhoon)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-30-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
our favorite lake
Old     (above_the_levee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2004, 4:55 PM Reply   
thanks for the info....so what kinda drive is it to Pedro, never been there either...i'm staying up in arnold so i think it might be a little farther. i hope nobody is just pullin' my leg so they can have glass... haha... if so, don't worry, no power turners on my boat.let me know what you guys think about the drive from arnold to pedro....

thanks again, ww is tight.
Old    23lsvryder            08-30-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
Its kinda windy and up in the hills. Probably about a 45 minute drive from new malones to arnold. Its like a 15-20 minute ride from new malones to murphys, while towing, and about another 25 minutes from murphys to arnold.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
Scott, I have a cabin in Dorrington, so we do that all the time. Jon is right, it's about 45 minutes. As you get to the higher altitude, your rig will probably loose a little power. You'll burn a little more gas than usual making the 3500 foot climb too. For Moccosin Point Don Pedro, stay on Hwy 49 south. Add another 30-40 minutes to your trip. I would stay at Melones personally.
Old     (above_the_levee)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-31-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
what do you think about leaving the boat at melones overnight, i know its risky but i'll lock her down and throw the cover on. is it worth it, or too daggum risky...or is there any wakeworlder's that would let me store my boat at there campsite? pretty please,,,haha. whatdya think ?
thanks
Old     (burbanized)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-31-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
That shouldnt be bad, I was there last memorial and I left mine in the water, I made some friends there so they can watch the boat. Maybe Ill see ya there. too bad about the water, but its too late to switch lakes, I guess its going to be 6:00 am sunrise session before all the drunks wake up
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-31-2004, 2:11 PM Reply   
The marina has a lot of open dock area. You should be able to leave it over night. I wouldn't personally, but there's a lot of stuff that can easily be taken from my boat.