Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-05-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hello,

I feel like in boat riding there's a lot of riders that are not so much into spin to win but that are more focused on pushing style like Lyman, Greenwood, O'shea, Shane B , ...
And in cable riding for me it always seem to be the same tricks (except on the rails), everybody trying to stuck a 9 or 10 or 313, smobe 5,...but I don't see pro who are trying to really push style..? What do u think?

I guess that it's because cable is less spread so less riders are getting paid, and the one who get paid (fooshee, davies, guhrs, sofer,...) has to make contest results and so has to push the spin to win..

It's not that I don't like to see them riding but i'd like to see more videos of cableriders that are more focused en style like lyman or greenwood..

What you think?
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-05-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
Nick Davies AND FOOSHEE have INSANE STYLE....Check out NORBI Vasko.... SO stezzy on cable ,,,, Check Out Oliver Derome, or Raph derome on cable so much steeze, or the company team Reeder is insane, Marc Roister is blowing up QUICK... And CLAY FLETCHER.... I think there is a ton of style on the cable and that the exposure of it is getting it done!!!
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-05-2010, 10:58 AM Reply   
Oliver derome, raph derome, reeder, rositer,.. for sure they got style but on rails.. I speak about all around cable rider, rails, kicker and corner jump.
And for me Fooshee and davies gor style but I don't take so much pleasure to watch them, I'd compare them to Harley on the boat. Really really impressive but i'd still rather watch shane, greenwood or randall..
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-05-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Uh...seriously? Are you kidding...or...what?
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-05-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
uhhhhh.... serisouly? yeah i'm not kiddin
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-05-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Sounds like you just dont like cable. I find all the guys listed above and many many more to be super stylish on rails, off kickers, and on air tricks. So...ya.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-05-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
if you want to see some stylish air tricks check out lidberg on the cable. as for Davies and fooshee they definitely have sick air trick
style. they make everything look so easy, put crazy grabs on almost all of their tricks and go huge. Lior Sofer definitely has a sick cable style as does
Dominic Guhrs. The guys that were mainly boat riders that are now riding a lot of cable like the Company team
specifically Brian Reeder is absolutely insane to watch on kickers and rails and I'm sure the flats tricks will follow very quickly for him. Germany has some young
guys that I am not even going to try and spell their names that are insane. just watch some video footy from
worlds to see how good all of these guys are getting. The phillies and Thailand have some really sick riders
as well. The insurgence of cable in the US is definitely turning wakeboarding into an international sport which is why you
see the pros spending so much time trying to get good on it. it is definitely the future of wakeboarding and if they don't
make a transition they very well could be left in the dust.
Old     (ryoder)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-05-2010, 2:15 PM Reply   
Steeze is all about tweakin out grabs and adding your own unique style to riding. Yea cable might be different than boat riding but its still wakeboarding! i personally love the feel of being on a cable every once in awhile! as far as the comment about cable riders not pushing style check this out. Norbi has got plenty of tricks in the bag but he is just having fun here and the grabs he is throwing are straight steezzzy. word.

Old     (Jack)      Join Date: May 2010       12-05-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
I really like Nicos style

Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-05-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
I personally see cable as having more opportunities to express style than boat, because of the different ways you can leave kickers and obstacles, like some guys doing early handle pass toeside backside spins, which, while it may be cheating if you're talking about number of rotations, but I think it looks sick. One of my favorite things to do lately is front board the kicker, nose tap it off the peak and spin frontside off of it. Other guys do it too, better than me, but I think cable just gives you more opportunities to be creative.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-06-2010, 1:44 AM Reply   
Speaking of which...... Luke is pretty stylish on the wakeboard merry-go-round. Clay fletcher also needs mention. As does James Young and Ck Koester.

Last edited by kristian; 12-06-2010 at 1:51 AM.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-06-2010, 2:03 AM Reply   
I didn't want to say that Tom or Nick doesn't have a good style (because of course they look smooth and have steeze) but just that I'm a bit bored of the 9,10, nose s mobe, tail back blind, nose 313,... I just like to see more indy glide, nuclear, bs 1, 911 to late late revert,...
Thanks for the vid of Norbi, Allen, that's what I like to see...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-06-2010, 3:34 AM Reply   
oh and forgot to mention Matty De Nittis, sick style from that kid!
Old     (pprill)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-06-2010, 3:42 AM Reply   
German cable style at its best!

http://www.the-gap-magazin.com/archi...g-jibfile-2010
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-06-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
That's like saying: Well, frankly I'm bored with Tantrum to blinds off of the wake, roll to reverts, and crow mobes. They're all blasé in my book. They show up in almost every video out there.

Those tricks you listed are all staples or they're hammers. 9's and 10's on the cable..... get used to it they're here to stay. They're hammers. They're super hard, super legit. Who WOULDN'T want to showcase that ability? If I could hit a 5 on a cable I'd want to show it off. Nose S-Mobe? That's got some pretty intense stuff happening right there, and to land it controlled and smooth, man, that's style if I ever saw it. 313? The size those guys take them out on the cable is just huge, and most of them can grab it making it an OHH or a Hoochie to 3. That's pretty darn stylish. Isn't it the ease, control and fluid nature of Greenwoods tricks that make us love watching him? I see that when Davies and Fooshee ride in the vids and others. The intensity and amplitude and makes us love Randall and Lyman? Fooshee, Davies and lots of other cable riders just SKY on those things. Not to mention the insane rail transfers, those are nothing BUT intense. Shane's originality? A year or two ago, I want to say it was Lidberg that did a scarecrow gap on a box. Intense, technical AND original. The aspects you want are all there.

The ease and flow of cable riding that it's upper echelon riders display is SUPER stylish, and if it's not a hammer trick they're throwing down, the rails and other tricks ARE what the "style police" consider stylish. Don't hate on hammers, appreciate the staples.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-06-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
First thing: Pierre I definately know what you are talking about. People are freaking out and are thinking you are talking down on those hammers/staples/riders. I get that you are not and agree with the vids that have been posted here. I like seeing on-axis spins around the corner. They usually dont go that huge or throw a 7, but the fact that I've only seen it a handful of times makes it unique and interesting to watch. I also think Shane Bonifays wake style is one of the better ones.

Ben: is it a crime to say that i am bored with Tantrum to b's and crow mobes? While they are impressive in the sense that I can't do them, i dont like being able to call the trick a rider is about to do as they take off from the wake. Yes there are exceptions with great grabs and huge amplitude, but I would rather watch somebody like Twelker who tones down the hammers (even though he can do most of them) and instead throws a heal 5 with a grab after the 3. his inverts with boned grabs--who else is doing those? (i know many people do them, but to his degree--no.) Like i said before, i enjoy being surprised by someones riding. Usually that comes in the form of unique style
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-06-2010, 11:31 AM Reply   
Jeff, its not a crime to say that, but what Ben and most other people are getting at is that just because you dont like it doesnt mean its not stylish or steezy. This thread is basically just titled wrong. It should be "I dont like the current popular tricks in cable riding". Which is also fine. Maybe not thread worthy, but a legit opinion.
Old     (pierem)      Join Date: Sep 2008       12-06-2010, 2:17 PM Reply   
That vid of that german guy toby rottig is pretty sick, sick unique style with some different stuff.. That's what I like to see.
Ps: I never said that tom or nick doesnt have style, just that I thought that they were not pushing it that much which was a mistake from myself (but I already said that above..)
And for the title of the thread it wasn't maybe the good one but all i wanted was to see some vids with some differents riding style and grabs. I got a few of them so its all good
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-06-2010, 10:32 PM Reply   
Jeff,

I'd agree that it's always refreshing to see variation, and uniqueness when somebody rides and I definitely agree with the Twelker statement. My whole goal in that post was to comment on the statement made about how the guys on cable aren't doing what certain boat riders (i.e, Lyman, Harris, Greenwood) are doing as far as style goes with their riding and their tricks. No doubt these cable guys have a super deep bag of tricks on command, but just as in boat riding, there's a ton of staple tricks, and for it to be said that it's tiring to see these tricks done so often on cable is like saying that a lot of the staples of boat riding that people steeze out are just old because they've been done so many times. I felt that was inaccurate. I also think that alot of what is done on cable is very subtle, but those subtle differences make a huge difference out there.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-06-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
Dude i didn't see that german video the first time. That was the coolest thing I've seen in a while. And i definitely agree with subtle style on cable and the name of the thread and the other stuff. Just hanging at work thinking about riding