Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-13-2012, 8:15 PM Reply   
Update on my truck search: After searching the GMC site, I found a 6.2 at a local dealer. It looked just like yours Adam. It was an SLE, 4WD, cloth w/bench. It was pretty nice but missing some bells and whistles. The price: $41K. The salesman told us to take it out and drive it however I wanted. I pulled out of the parking lot, in kind of a rural area, and eased down the road. It was smooth and you could feel the pull. As I rounded a curve and eased into the throttle, the power came on slowly. Kind of typical of my experience with GM. However, as you continue to press on the gas, and the motor downshifts, WOW. It really comes to life and sets you in the seat. Plenty of power and only half throttle. I did this several more times and each time, the whole family would smile. I was impressed. No. We were all impressed.

My issue is that I do not need 4WD and that is all I can find in my searches. I know it could be useful, but not for $3K. It is missing a back up cam, a bluetooth stereo, power seat and some storage areas that the Tundra has. It also makes the same torque at a higher RPM. However, I am not sure the Tundra will be so impressive when "hit" in the same manner; although the Tundra's initial response is greater with similar pedal pressure/push.

I am sure I would be happy with the GMC. I love the integrated brake controller which the Tundra lacks. However, the GMC just costs more and is missing some of the fun buttons that the Toyota has. I could go on, but this is not a my truck is better than your truck thread. I am just cheaper and like the Toyota. My current rides are a 93 Silverado, a 2004 Trailblazer and a 2009 CRV. So, the Tundra still looks good to me and does not look dated UNLESS I compare it with the great Ford dash/gauge cluster.

With all that said, if you want a bigger back seat than the Tundra double cab and a three inch longer bed than the CrewMax and you want to buy "American", check out the 6.2 GM. I can honestly say that I believe it can pull a house down.

Finally, it all comes down to money with me and I will probably end up with the Tundra. If so, I'll post pics of my new note... err truck.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-13-2012, 8:51 PM Reply   
I loooove my 6.2 Chevy. Pulls like an ox.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-13-2012, 9:48 PM Reply   
Nice review of the GM 6.2L. We have that motor in our Denali XL. It's my favorite motor we have owned... by far!

With that said, I would not drop $41K on a stripped truck. And I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Toyota 5.7. It pulls harder than most 5.7's due to the 4.10's.

One thing to keep in mind, both GMC and Toyota body styles are long in the tooth. Why does that matter? Because when the body style changes they will depreciate faster. For that reason I'd consider the Ford.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
DBC, you are right. The Toy does need an upgrade and maybe the GM too. In 5 years, they both will look dated, if not antiques. The Ford does have some nice lines and you either love or hate the tailgate and the horizontal lines it has. I happen to like it. The interiors are top notch in the Fords. I never liked the "feel" or ergonomics of previous years, but they have it down now. The two round gauges in the GM look good too with the chrome bezels and bold numbers. The Toy is kind of blah in the that department and the "way up" gauges near the windshield with the blue digital numbers remind of 1978.

There is one like this within a 100 miles for GMC. The next, like what I want is over 300. The sticker is 41K, there is 2K rebate, 2K vehicle trade in assistance and my trade. I told him that I could not pay more the 25K and he "said" it might be possible. I don't see it. I'm a realist and do not want to waste his time or mine. If he gave me clean trade on my truck we're still 5500 apart. Not gonna happen. That is, unless the scuffed taillight and scratch to the metal under it drops it that much.

There is zero for 72 at GM right now. Something to think about, but even at zero interest, 72 months is a long time.

BTW, the Tundra with 5.7 and towing has a 4.30. That is one reason why the 5.7 "pulls" so well. I am surprised that it doesn't effect mileage more.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
Is $41k the MSRP on the GMC? What is invoice? You should be able to buy that truck for Invoice - Holdback - Rebates. It's not unusual to see GM trucks for $8k - $10k off MSRP.

If you can get a deal like that on the GMC it might be worth it.

Also, what trim is it? I think all GM trucks have Bluetooth now (it's not part of the radio like most cars). If you want leather, that's an easy add for about $1k.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
It's an SLE, but does not have dual hvac zones, iphone connectivity, bluetooth, power seats, or back up cam. The Toy has all those. In some ways, I am swapping 4WD for the buttons. Much, like what I did with the Trailblazer, I swapped the OnStar and upgrade in stereo and HVAC controls (albeit does have dual zone and rear air) for the V8 option.

The invoice is supposed to be $38.4, 2K for TI assistance and that is "all" that is advertised. The clean trade of my Trailblazer is almost $7K. I was only offered $5K at Toyota. Admittedly, it is a V8 and they are not known to be misers of fuel. So, that hurts resale for the dealer. The TB, however, is a used car lots dream. Clean, everything works, just detail it and put it on the lot. We're just too far apart. Maybe I should give him a chance, but it has 4WD ($3K option) and is missing some items that I really want. If it was 2WD, I may give it a chance and just get used to the reduction in luxuries. However, I cannot see paying for what I do not need. I plan to keep this truck for at least 10 years so resale is not a consideration for me which is what the salesman was trying to sell.

Thanks for your input. I kinda hijacked this thread, but I think the info exchange has been good.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
BTW, but taking the 0 for 72, it cost 2K in incentives.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-14-2012, 3:47 PM Reply   
By taking, I meant to say.

Bought the Tundra. A total of almost $4000 off and zero for 60. Buyers remorse has now officially set in. Can you tell?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-13-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
Update on my Tundra. It has 2000 miles on it now. Haven't pulled the RV yet, but I've had a couple of trips with the dirtbikes in the back. Very pleased with everything about the truck. Very comfortable on the road and it even gets decent gas mileage. Sticker was 13 and 17 and it gets 15 or so with a mix, 13.9 city and 17 on the road with two dirtbikes in the back with all the gear for riding and running 72mph on cruise. Pretty happy. I don't think it has the power the 6.2 had that I drove but I don't think the GM would get the gas mileage this is getting. For you 6.2 GM owners, what are you getting? Of course mine is 2wd.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-13-2012, 10:28 PM Reply   
Is $4000 off a good deal these days on pickups? Serious questions, as I have bought 2 trucks, an '04 Lariat in Dec. 04 for $9000 off sticker and a '07 FX4 SuperCrew for about $7800 off sticker. I don't think I would have ever purchased either of these trucks if I could have only taken $4000 off. Are you guys with the Platinum Fords really paying $48k plus for a truck?

I've been starting to search for a tow vehicle again and have been up in the air between an Ecoboost and a Touareg TDI. I've got a TDI here in town with minor hail damage that I believe I could get for about $7k off with 0% for 72 months.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-14-2012, 4:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Is $4000 off a good deal these days on pickups?
I have bought very few vehicles so I am not that "good" at negotiating. I also think of the saleman as a person not as a vampire. That can be a weakness. I think, $4K off the Toyota, with 0 for 60 is a decent deal. With my trade they didn't seem to want to do better than that and most of what I read it was "inline". Regarding the Fords and GMs most have said you can get up to $10K off the price. I liked the Toyota better (SR5 vs SLE) so I didn't even try to haggle on the 6.2 GM. Finding a Ford with 10K towing capacity (in stock) was next to impossible. Basically every Tundra had that rating and about 2% of the GMs. In this area anyway.
Old     (Jape)      Join Date: May 2012       06-15-2012, 10:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstateskier View Post
Is $4000 off a good deal these days on pickups? Serious questions, as I have bought 2 trucks, an '04 Lariat in Dec. 04 for $9000 off sticker and a '07 FX4 SuperCrew for about $7800 off sticker. I don't think I would have ever purchased either of these trucks if I could have only taken $4000 off. Are you guys with the Platinum Fords really paying $48k plus for a truck?

I've been starting to search for a tow vehicle again and have been up in the air between an Ecoboost and a Touareg TDI. I've got a TDI here in town with minor hail damage that I believe I could get for about $7k off with 0% for 72 months.
well it depends on the manufacturer. Toyota cars and trucks do not have as much mark up and a ford or chevy. So it is difficult for them to sale a vehicle for 8 or 10 thousand off.
Old     (georgebarber)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-29-2013, 8:53 PM Reply   
Ii had a good experience with Ecoboost but i am not sure whether its the best one for 200k miles.