Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (staylefysh)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
I'm having troubles with a surface 360. I've been trying them for awhile now and I just cant seem to get it. I can spin all the way around but then I just drop out of the wake. should I spin faster or what? any tips, videos, pics would be awesome! Thank you!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       08-17-2009, 6:27 PM Reply   
Austin,
I have the same problem. I can spin like crazy but I always go over the top of the wake or out the back when I finish my spin. Nikki Sixx from this site rides with me sometimes and he can spin 3's behind my boat with ease. He told me to spin in an arc like you are riding up the wave and then down. He spins faster than I do and he finishes his spin in the sweet spot of the wave.
Here is Nick completing his 360 down the wave
Upload
Here I am 1/2 way around but I over shot the wave. Hope this helps.
Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2009, 6:29 PM Reply   
What kind of board are you using? Surface 360s are much easier on a skim style board, but can be harder on a surfstyle board. There are variations of the 360, like the Stall 360 that are more designed for surf style, and a lot of fun. I am going to be doing a Stall 360 how to soon, but until then, here is a video where I show RJ practicing one, and landing it a few times. I show it in SlowMo also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-KPsmaohqc
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-17-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Here is a video with slo motion of an old 280 lb surfer ( me) doing a surface 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCVjkRNls6A
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
Here is another video. This is Big D, Dennis Horton, the Master Weighter. He is on a surf style board, and a big dude, and he pulls it off. RJ didn't quite land his 360 at the Merced Competition here:

watch around 45s in, and 1:50 or so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKCt0v_-5h0

You see RJ puts his hands in the wake to get around fast, and to also work against the quad fins on this board, which make it not so easy to spin. RJ chokes the first, but almost lands the 2nd one. I think he would have landed #2, but the wake was tough that day, short pocket.

So Dennis purposely goes in the water, and tells RJ he is going to show him how it is done. Technique is about the same for the surface 3 with Dennis. Watch around 50s in or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w6kaMaDlgk

Dennis got in the boat, and looks right at RJ (he was in the boat with the video camera) and says, "Now that's how its done." RJ was officially schooled.
Old     (staylefysh)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2009, 6:39 PM Reply   
Robert I have the Ronix caption 4'8. I really wanna get the inland surfer skim but wanted to get feed back about that board before I do.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
The caption is going to spin prob a bit better than a quad fin, but def more surfstyle, not like a skim. You want to use the technique you see Dennis and RJ use in the videos above. Drive and get some momentum towards the front of the wave, put your hands in to start your rotation. Watch their head and shoulders. The head and shoulders lead the rotation, then come around and spot the boat, then hold at that spot looking at boat, to help not over rotate.

You can also try the stall 360, but I don't know how that fish tail will do when you ride reverse for a bit.
Old     (staylefysh)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
Ok cool. Thanks robert. What do you know about the inland surfer skim? good/bad?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2009, 7:02 PM Reply   
It's a quality board from a quality company. If u like skim, don't hesitate. There are 4 or 5 videos we have with Sean and/or RJ riding a moss and a black pearl.

http://www.YouTube.com/wake9tv
Old    surfdad            08-17-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
I'm going to take exception to a few things in this thread, but will only comment on one. That is that a surface 3 is easier on a skim style board and harder on a surf style with something other than a 4 fin arrangement. IMO the surf style board ends the surface 3 much easier than a skim style board, but initiates harder. That is starting the rotation on a surf style board is harder than on a skim style board. The difficulty with a skim style board is STOPPING the rotation at 360. I believe the difficulty level is the same for both styles, just that the "difficulty level" increases at different spots in the rotation. Difficulty with surf style is starting the rotation, difficulty with skim style is stopping the rotation.

And if you REALLY want difficulty, try it finless :-) Bri Cheml and Adam Rotan make it look easy, but it's tons of balance and edge control.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2009, 8:52 PM Reply   
I defer to u sir.

that is a much better/detailed explanation.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       08-17-2009, 8:56 PM Reply   
Here is the master Surfdad with his own version.
http://www.youtube.com/user/wakesurfer44#play/
He talks the talk and walks the walk. He makes it look easy. i think it's hairodynamics.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2009, 11:40 PM Reply   
hairodynamics, thats funny.