Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (prem1er)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-23-2007, 7:43 AM Reply   
Hey guys I was just wanting your opinions on these boards. I know they are both Chad Sharpe models but I was just wondering what some of the differences are. Is the Covin much lighter or what? I'm riding a Premier right now but the things that I'd like to change about my Premier is pointing towards these boards. Also if anyone can compare the 3DS boots and the Cells. I have 06 3DS boots and they are pretty heavy are the 07 or 08s lighter? Thanks for any help
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
The Covin will have a little more pop and is much lighter and thinner. The Covin IMO will also be faster than a 3DS. I rode a 3DS and removed the 1.1 wings in favor of .8 wings. The cell is regarded as one of the fastest boards on the market.

Boots: Cell boots much lighter, heat moldable inner liner, stiffer, true closed toe boot. Cell boots were regarded as the lightest boots on the market until this years Murray boot came out. It's only like a few ounces lighter though.
Old     (prem1er)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-23-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
I want to just get 07 Cells and the Covin but Im having a hard time finding the Cells in 11.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Some 07's size 11 on ebay right now for 255 Buy it now.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-23-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
Other than the Covin being about two tons lighter, I really don't have anymore to say about the 3DS because i have never been on it, but the covin is a sick board, I recomend takin them both for test rides.
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-23-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
I had the Covin but switch back to my 06 3DS. You have much more control with the 3DS. The Covin hasn't got any "channals" in the bottom, and that makes it very "slippery". I had 1.1 p wings on the Covin, and I have 0.8 P wings on the 3DS, and still think the 3DS has a better grip.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-24-2007, 6:37 AM Reply   
I have to disagree with Casper, not that he is wrong..... I started the year on the One and then switched to the Covin. I found the One to be very loose unless you ride it tail heavy. The Covin tracks really well has a very solid edge and is very very fast. I have ridden the Covin all season and it is my favorite board that I have owned. I have never been on the 3DS, so I won't be much help there. Definitely get out and ride several boards before you buy any of them, the last thing you want to do is spend a ton of money on a set up just because you think you will like it. Good luck.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-24-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Loose or tight is personal preference. I prefer a board that is loose. The 3DS was too stiff which is why I went to 0.8 wings as opposed to the 1.1s. The Covin will be much faster (meaning not stiff/tight) than a 3DS. It does have a little more aggressive rocker as well.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-24-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
I was on a TFD, which then became the 3DS and it is money. I still ride my 06 version because I like the graphic better than the 07. I may be a little different than most, but I ride it finless, very fun to play on, loose, releases effortlessly off the wake but still tracks ok with the small molded fins. I rode the Covin finless as well and because of the bottom features (or lack thereof) it was significantly more loose, however, it does have a little more pop to it. Slightly ligher as well. With fins on both bear hug the water, but again, the Covin has just a little more pop to it. But the landings were not quite as soft as the 3DS, not bad, but not as feather soft. That may or may not help, but it's a very accurate assesment of both. Covin is slightly faster than 3DS. As for bindings, I will more than likely switch to the Cells. I really liked them, but you will want to demo a pair. They make you ride a little different because they're very stiff and if you move your legs, you get instant reaction with the board vs. your traditional more rubber overlay bindings that may also be stiff in their own way, still bend with ankles a little.

I'll keep the 3DS, but possibly get the Cells.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       10-24-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
Shoot, the other thing to mention is that the 3DS is a big board based on how it is measured. A 139 3DS is the same size as the 142 Covin.