Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dkelley)      Join Date: May 2009       08-16-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
I would appreciate any advice. 200lbs. Been surfing Broadcast for last year and would like to progress. Surfing behind V215, deep water, weighted to where I'm almost taken on water lol. Any suggestions?
TIA
Old     (sleepy10)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-16-2009, 7:46 PM Reply   
Ja mako is sick for us bigboys... Can catch great air on them too. I haven't road any brands other than shredstixx so I'm biased but I won't lie when I say it's a great board. There's a lot of drive just in weight transfer on it and you can still pump it and progress that way. Lot of fun and we call it the cadilac of surfboards- just a positive review for them.. Haven't met a person who didn't enjoy that board on our boat this whole summer
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-17-2009, 9:44 AM Reply   
I gotta show love for the walker project boards. I love mine, but haven't riden any of the others, so I'm biased too.
Old     (kernaltao)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-17-2009, 9:56 AM Reply   
I'll second the love for Walker Project. I have the Wake Outlaws board (pretty much a mix between the Bullet & F-18), and I absolutely love it. It is fast and maneuverable. I'm 195# and have a huge wave behind my VLX, so very similar to your setup.

I have read a lot of good press on the Shred Stixx, Inland Surfer (skim), Phase 5 (skim) and SMED, though. I've been looking for a good used Ja Mako, Thresher Shredder or Wombat; just for variety. I don't think you would go wrong with any of them.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
I would say Ja Mako and I haven't ridden one. I had the Blue and very nice ride but I see more people getting air on the Stixx. I have a TWP and it loves to be on its rails, a friend has the F18 and he doesn't like it so much as it's more work than he wants to do. I've seen the Smed and have heard good things--that's about it. So my vote is for Stixx.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-17-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
Ja Mako is a sweet board! I can get air on it!Upload
Upload
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2009, 12:15 PM Reply   
JaMako all the way.the board is FAST, yet very high performance. You won't go wrong with the JaMako
Old    surfdad            08-18-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
Sheesh...I'm getting old and cranky any more.

Let's get in to more detail than the simple "buy mine!" that seems to have become WW of late.

Darrin has identified 4 boards and wants to progress, but doesn't identify what that will be. Many of the folks responding take that to mean aerials. Without Darrin's input, that is just speculation.

Let's look at the 4 boards in particular and compare them. They are:

Shred Stixx JaMako, Inland Surfer Blue Lake, Smed Wombat and the TWP F18. For the most part, the JaMako, Blue Lake and Wombat are stock shapes. You can get them in the standard sizes and dimensions only. The F18 has a "common" size but can be ordered in various sizes. I know that Matt at Smed can do customization also.

The JaMako, Wombat and F18 all use aftermarket fin systems which will allow you to swap a myriad of fins available from Futures. Smed and TWP can be built with FCS, ProBox, 4WFS, etc if you choose. Differening fins affect ride and allow you more customization options. Inland Surfer has a few fins and a standard 4 fin box installation. Inland Surfer uses no cant or toe-in on their boxes, the others use both. Accordingly the Inland will feel fast down-the-line, and less responsive rail-to-rail in comparison to the other boards.

All of the boards will allow you top get air, if that's what you are looking for. The outline of the JaMako is an exceptionally wide tail with a slight V bottom. It releases well and the width provides a good platform to ollie from. That extra width, however will make turning feel less responsive than a board with a more pulled in tail - everything else being the same.

All of the boards are made with Epoxy, the TWP can be ordered as Polyester over Polyurethane, but there isn't much reason for that. Epoxy is marketed as: "the end all, never degrades, best thing since sliced bread" and it's not. It is stronger and stiffer than Polyester but will eventually weaken and you'll need to replace the board. Epoxy is stronger than Polyester, but not what the hype from manufacturers attempts to make it.

The Inland will be the most resistant to dents and dings as it has a healthy coating of resin...it will also be the heaviest of the 4. High performance boards tend to be lighter in weight, but also develop heel dents. Smed and TWP can add additional layers of glass if you want, which will make the board heavier and less likely to dent.

All of the boards are readily available, with the Blue Lake and JaMako seemingly available at every pro shop in the nation. The Wombat and F18 will most likely need to be built and so there may be a wait before you can take delivery.

Graphics are limited on the JaMako and Blue Lake...stock boards come stock, the Wombat and F18 can have just about any graphic you can think of painted or a laminate applied.

If it matters to you at all, the F18 and Wombat are manufactured in the USA, the JaMako and Blue Lake are manufactured overseas.

The JaMako and F18 will be the two shortest shapes that will adequately carry your weight. Longer boards CAN grab in the flats and diminish the aggressiveness of turns, depending upon your wake. Longer boards also resist rotational moves as the extra length requires more effort. It's not a HIGE difference as we are talking maybe 6 inches.

Rocker is the curve of the nose and tail up from a flat surface. The Blue Lake and Wombat have very flat rockers with a nose flip. The flat rocker makes the boards fast down the line, but resist turns especially in small pockets. The JaMako and F18 have more defined rockers and will fit better into small pockets. The F18 can be ordered with any rocker you want.

The Blue Lake and JaMako come with factory installed traction...like it or not. The Wombat and F18 can have your choice of traction and you can install it (most likely you'll HAVE to :-) )

Only the JaMako comes standard as a thruster (tri fin) design. The trailer fin is pretty small and can be removed. In my experience ALL of the boards are most often ridden as twins, so I would think about the additional fin boxes and whether or not they are a benefit.

I don't believe any of the boards fits in a standard wakeboard rack, so an aftermarket wakesurf rack is a necessity if you want to rack your board.

In order of size of manufacturer, Inland probably sells the most units, with Shred Stixx close behind. TWP would be third in that list and Smed the smallest manufacturer. You're more likley to find used Inlands and Shred Stixx strictly due to unit sales. All of the manufacturers are great to work with.

The Inland uses a sandwich construction - wood laminate sandwiches a foam core. The others use the more common wood stringer down the middle of a foam core.

I'm not sure I was helpful, but I find myself so weary of the "buy mine" or nebulous reasons to buy.

Darrin, if you could paint a picture of what you want in your new board, we can possibly help guide you better rather than interrpreting based upon our own likes and dislikes.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-18-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
NICE JOB surfdad!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-18-2009, 8:55 AM Reply   
Amazing write up surfdad! I couldn't agree more!
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-18-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
NIce write up Jeff. I think Mike (TWP) is starting to install traction now. Having said that, I'm sure you can still get a board with the traction not installed.
Old     (dkelley)      Join Date: May 2009       08-18-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input! I think I'm going to hook up with ragboy and demo some boards and then have one made. Thanks again for all of your input
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
I have all of those boards, except the JaMako. I would only add 1 minor thing to surfdad's excellent/detailed write up. I have 2 smed wombats, and for a custom board, both are much more resistant to dings and heel dents than our walkers. The walkers are lighter and more responsive. RJ is really tough on his boards and the SMEDs held up even better than an inland green loogey. I am guessing smed is using extra layers of glass/epoxy and that is why his boards are a bit heavier than the walkers. These are just my observations and I am sure smed and surfdad could go more into the reasons why. Here are some words from SMED himself when I told him RJ was starting to ride the Walker JWSM.

"That is cool about RJ riding the JW -- it is a really specialized board that I think only a few people can really take it to its potential... RJ is probably one of those... It is probably like a Ferrari, whereas the wombat is probably more suited to the intermediate to advanced rider that wants something that will perform really well, but is a little less touchy on the throttle... "

(Message edited by ragboy on August 18, 2009)