Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (family_deckhand)      Join Date: May 2008       07-10-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
I currently have a 23 ft Class-C RV and have been launching the boat with it. I am about ready to upgrade to a larger RV. I am thinking about getting a 30-35ft Class-A. Still might get a 30-35ft Class-c. Just depends on what I find.

I am in CA and the ramps are pretty long and steep the past couple of years because of the lake levels.

My questions is if any of you Class-A RV and boat owners launch your boats with the Class-A RV? How hard is it? Are the ramps steep and long? Does that matter. I have seen people launch with Class-Cs of various sizes but not with Class-As.

Thanks
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
I used to own a 40ft bus conversion. I used it to launch at Mead, Mojave, Orwood (Delta), Castaic etc. You wont have a problem especially with a back up camera.
Old     (jackeh)      Join Date: May 2008       07-10-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
my dad does it no problem with our 40 foot newell coach, and we have long ramps. look at my profile pic.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-10-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
The only thing you might run into is short turn around's when you try and launch and recover it. Other than that you should be just fine.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-13-2009, 9:23 AM Reply   
I have a 33ft Southwinds, I've launch at some f'd up ramps, it's easier then you think since the hitch mount is so far behind the rear axel it take little turning of the wheel to equal a long swing in the a$$. I've launched at Naci, San Antonio (Both bad ramps) Orwood (easy), River's End (tough) Camanche (easy). I've seen guys add a front mounted hitch for launching and recovery, I thought about it long ago, but there is really no need, plus it adds more work then it's worth IMO. By far the worst Lake I launched at was San Antonio years ago. Had to space to turnaround at the ramp for I had to back down the road about 1/4 mile or so. Even that was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I would suggest a backup camera on whatever you buy, just makes things easier.

Not towing related, but leveling jacks are a must, it's a pain in the butt to have to spend time leveling with blocks. I level and set up chairs, pop my first beer before my bother has his blocks set in place.
Old     (goboating)      Join Date: May 2008       07-13-2009, 10:00 AM Reply   
We have a Featherlite H3-45 Prevost coach and have launched 2 times with it. It is different but we didn't have any problem. Ramp wasn't the best.

We did get some weird looks but we didn't have a vehicle to launch with as we were gone and I found a deal on a SAN and bought it and we took it out. Just make sure you can do your u-turn at the ramp to back in as that was the most tricky part for me.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-13-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
We just rented a 40 ft Class A triple slide and pulled our Nautique to go camping with another family. It did fine pulling but without my friend's truck to launch the boat in it would have been a real ordeal. One ramp would have been impossible and the other would have been a real chore. People don't exactly park friendly at the boat ramp. Considering all the break down and set up, sliding all the slides in, pulling the beast through the camping loop with a boat, not running into any trees. Then where do you leave your boat when you pull it out for the night? I drove a school bus for 5 years and would not like doing it on a regular basis. You end up really limiting what places you can go, where to stop for dinner, groceries, gas, what if you make a wrong turn and need to u-turn? Lots of room for error and stress on your vacation. Did I mention 7 MPG? Over $200 to fill up.

A much easier way to camp and boat would be a truck camper. Drop the camper at the campsite, and use your truck to launch the boat and run to town in. Here is my new favorite. http://lancecampers.com/2009models/1191.html Full kitchen and bath, AC, sleeps seven. Some even have dual slideouts for larger living areas.

(Message edited by bruce on July 13, 2009)
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-13-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
30' Class A, piece of cake.

But as mentioned above, maybe not the best if you plan to pull your boat out each night to take to camp.
Old     (trentj6930)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-14-2009, 12:00 AM Reply   
Sorry to Hijack, but we have towed for 7 years with our class C and have had no problems with launching and retrieving the boat. Now to the Hi jack......... still looking for a Class A Motor home 34 for bigger, 2003 or newer with a slide out.