Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (elle_xx)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-21-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
Hi Guys, Im a chick rider from NZ, and really want to go Invert. Kinda been stuck in a rut for the past season. I guess its a head thing.. not much scares me, but this does. Any tips?
Old     (weekend_wakeboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-21-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
hah, i cant even get w2w yet, so consider yourself lucky!
Old    meyerb            11-21-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
spin! way cooler than getting upside down
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-21-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
daniella, do you have your fundamentals down? if not, work on that first. trust me when i say it'll make learning inverts a lot easier. get tips from people that know how to ride on how to do the invert. the easiest to learn would probably be the hs backroll.

when you're ready to try it, easier said than done, but just try it. don't think too much about it. apply the tips you were given.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-21-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
I will coppy and paste some ideas on the experience myself... hope they help --->

Heel Side Back Roll:

The Heel Side Back Roll is one of my most favorite tricks. At my level and wakeboarding experience it is the most technical aerial maneuver that I can perform consistently. Besides this being the most impressive move I can throw I love it also for its natural fluid and near effortless flow. The Heel Side Back Roll is suggested by pros and trick manuals to be the first of all flips tried. If you are like me you may have seen this trick on T.V. or in videos or on your local lake and were baffled by the path of rotation. Like me you may deceive yourself to think that a front flip would be easier. Tragically I lost precious time of development attempting a flip that was beyond my understanding and sacrificed myself to much disappointment.
After having been convinced by a friend I gave up my denial and made a daring attempt at the Heel Side Front Roll. As I expected, the rotation felt rather bizarre… yet natural and comfortable despite I under rotated the flip. The crash was soft and I was impressed with the strongest determination and confirmation that I would land this flip TODAY! After 4 more attempts, on my fifth try I nailed the landing smoothly as if I had never left the water… almost as though I was riding a tube or loop of water.
*FIRST: Deny yourself of all hesitation due to a worry about crashing. (A face plant during any surface maneuver will more than likely sting more than any position you may crash in during a heel side back roll.)
*SECOND: This is not a trick that you need a lot of energy, speed, height, and/or distance for. All you will need is enough speed and pop to clear both wakes- about a 10 ft cut.
*THIRD: This is NOT a flip that you need to “bend” “huck” or “throw” like you might a front or back flip on a trampoline. All you need is an ear to the shoulder really (back ear to back shoulder)
*FOURTH: Keep the handle at your waste area. (IMPORTANT IN MOST ALL ASPECTS OF WAKEBOARDING)
*FIFTH: Edge All the way up the wake. Do not begin the rotation prematurely, before leaving the tip of the wake.
*SIXTH: Keep your knees bent (no more than if you were in a chair, unless you plan to add a grab)
*SEVENTH: Maintain the same body position and edge and hold on for the ride

I like to think of it like you were edging and riding up the wake as if it were a tube or a loop of water. Just maintain body position and hold on for the ride.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-22-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Joe is on it. If you can get the fundamentals down then go for the b-roll. Aside from the technical tips, mentally you have to say to yourself "don't care about anything else, just let it fly". Think only of getting that pop off the top and driving yourself straight up into the sky. Look up, and keep looking until you are all the way around. Crank the handle into your lead hip. Do this and you should be there.

(Message edited by socalwakepunk on November 22, 2006)
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-22-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
Do a TANTRUM!Upload
Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-22-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Show off! just make sure you get higher than Duffy
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-22-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
What up Charlie Im getting ready to go to O town and pic up my wet suit.
Old     (flboarder)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-22-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
its about time, thread hijack over
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-22-2006, 9:25 PM Reply   
Best method that I have found to get over the mental block of a trick, is to lay dow 2 or 3 tricks back 2 back.The kind of tricks that get you pumped. After the last trick Edge in and huck it(useing propper edge and form).The trick is to not over think it(mind f)your self out of the trick
Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       11-23-2006, 11:47 AM Reply   
It takes time behind the boat and alittle guts but if you pratice you will land it. Here is a picture of my daughter doing a roll 2 revert. Once you get it the other tricks follow shortly. Good Luck!Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (elle_xx)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-23-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the great advise everyone.. cant wait to get out on that water again now!
Old     (dekay)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-23-2006, 3:40 PM Reply   
Hey look, it's Kayla.