Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-11-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
This is my wifes first year wakeboarding and she is doing well. She almost W2W but not quite there.

I can't communicate to her to "stand tall" at the wake. I bought her the Detention 2012 and her forms is getting better and better.

She charges the wake but always keeps her legs bent. She a pro2 level snow skier, so no problem in the athletic department.

Just hasn't stood tall and felt the "pop"!!

any thoughts?
Attached Images

Old     (yeahhh)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-11-2011, 4:54 PM Reply   
clean up your wake?... pro2 skier?? ..
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-11-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
clean up that wake for her so when she hits it right , it doesnt make her fall.

onto the pop - make her practice on the lawn or carpet, strapped to the board - holding something(for balance like the back of a chair) and practice the oli motion. Once she has that down - tell her to do it when she reaches the top of the wake.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-11-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
First, I would say give her a better wake. I wouldn't want to have to learn on that. Second, what rope length is she using? I would go with a really short line, like 55' if she is comfortable jumping. Lastly, this has clicked for some in my boat: tell her to imagine she is getting back in the boat after her ride and the motion she uses to get up on the platform. That motion requires you to push down, as in the handle and your legs automatically extend. Let us know how it goes!
Old     (clotus)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-11-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
What worked for me and others when learning to pop is as she hits the wake have her stand up and if she is standing up off a toilet. Being that she is female and probably does it more often that us guys, might just be the visualization she needs. Have her practice by cutting out a little distance, pause, then approach so she clears half of the wake but with a pop instead of shooting across. Once she gets that down she can approach from further out each time until she clears it. I also agree try cleaning up the wake and shorting up the rope to lessen the distance needed to land on the other side. Good luck and keep us posted on her progress.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       08-11-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
I agree with Kat on pushing the handle down toward your hips as you ride up the wake... it helps you get higher, it pulls you from your center of gravity, and it helps you stand tall as you ride up the wake
Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-11-2011, 8:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakekat15 View Post
First, I would say give her a better wake. I wouldn't want to have to learn on that. Second, what rope length is she using? I would go with a really short line, like 55' if she is comfortable jumping. Lastly, this has clicked for some in my boat: tell her to imagine she is getting back in the boat after her ride and the motion she uses to get up on the platform. That motion requires you to push down, as in the handle and your legs automatically extend. Let us know how it goes!
+1 on pushing the handle down!
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
In this specific situation, what's worked for me to teach females in the past, has been to tell them to edge across both wakes as quickly as possible while sucking their knees up as much as they can as they get across. Basically do the complete opposite of what you're supposed to do to get as little pop as possible. That way they understand what makes them not pop by overexaggerating a motion that is "less scary" Then as they get more comfortable and bored, tell them to do the over exaggerated movement of their knees to their chest less, and eventually they'll start standing tall.

If that doesn't work, bring her into 40 ft. and have her land her first w2w at that length. Then lengthen as she gets more comfortable.

If all else fails, have a friend teach it, not you.. the husband.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-12-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Gotta agree with that... don't know you or your wife. You guys may work really well together in situations like this, but in my experience... I've seen a lot of females take advice from people other than their boyfriends or husbands and do pretty well. They probably didn't even realize it was happening, but they were just more receptive to input from other people.

Oh, and clean up your wake.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-12-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
Gotta agree with that... don't know you or your wife. You guys may work really well together in situations like this, but in my experience... I've seen a lot of females take advice from people other than their boyfriends or husbands and do pretty well. They probably didn't even realize it was happening, but they were just more receptive to input from other people.

Oh, and clean up your wake.
I second that. My wife was all kinds of uncomfortable at first. I was trying to tell her what she was doing wrong and she took it as me criticizing her. I had a fellow Wake Worlder hop on the boat and watch her for a set. He told her all of the same things that I had told her. She was able to take the information that he gave her and apply it immediately. She looked 150% better in a matter of minutes. Now she is charging the wake attempting to pop also.

Good luck!!
Old     (sexyws6mama)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-13-2011, 6:32 AM Reply   
Learn a progressive cut...no reason to be charging in with alot of speed...that only leds to out of control movements. Have her keep eyes outward towards shore, handle low and have knees bent while cutting in. Then when she hits the wake, extend (straighten) the legs. As you know, it's just a bend/extend motion at the wake that generates pop (height). The progessive cut generates line tension and will help you clear the wake. She should try pushing the handle down in air and when landing. And of course always looking out. Hope that helps!

P.S. yes....clean up the wake too!
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-15-2011, 3:40 PM Reply   
Update on Wiff. The first pics were on her first day and I was doing the "Dentition 2012" speed for beginners.

These pics were taken Sunday. Speed 22.0mph Standing alittle more and starting to feel it. She doing great and I'm so proud of her for trying!
Attached Images

Old     (JJ)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2011, 10:25 AM Reply   
Wake is getting better
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
shorten the rope!
Old     (Frozenwhite)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-16-2011, 2:32 PM Reply   
My wake is like that. How do you clean it up ?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-17-2011, 5:20 PM Reply   
That 's the same wake, on the same day as the "Boy that Man can ride" thread but at 22.5 mph indicated and the wake plate all the way down. I do it to knock down the wake for my wife. My buddy was riding at 22.5 and the wakeplate full up.

The very first pictures I was going 16 to 17 of my wife. I was going slow on purpose because the instruction video recommended it. It was her first day on the board.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-17-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
22.5 might be a bit fast for her. Just saying. 20 should be more than fine to get her wake to wake on a progressive edge. She catches a front edge at almost 23 its gonna hurt.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2011, 6:26 PM Reply   
Put her on a 75' rope go 22 mph and tell to cut out 5' to 8' from the wake.Then keep her whole body straight and leaned back slightly.If her legs are straight she will pop.ONCE she pops tell her to relax her knees for the landing.Her only goal should be to go across the one wake slowly with straight stiff legs and get pop.Then once she feels pop shorten the rope to 55 feet and go 20 mph and let her try a wake to wake pop.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-18-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
I see two problems...

1. Get her to keep her legs a little more rigid when getting to the crest of the wake (be taller). Bending your knees potentially acts like a shock, preventing the wake from "booting" you.

2. Get her to keep edging through the wake longer so she maintains speed and she utilizes the rocker. The bottom of the board is what launches you. So the more pressure you can create at the bottom of the board before leaving the wake the more air you get.

Hope this helps...
Attached Images

Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
I posted a thread on here a little while back regarding teaching my fiance', and was having similar issues. Honestly the thing that made it all click for her was to shorten the rope to 45 ft after doing a bunch of one wakes, and go for the w2w. I told her to let go of the rope in the air on her first few tries just to show her how easy it is to get across and land on the other wake. On the 4/5th attempt she held onto the handle and landed one, and started standing taller & edging harder (cause I think she knew that she wouldn't make it if she didn't).

Up to that point I couldn't get her to make big changes in the way she did things on the water. I'm guessing it's a similar issue for you. For the next few months after we would start her with one wake jumps on the first set, and then shorten her to 45/50 (lengthen little by little). She's jumping the wake like a champ now at 65/70 feet and working on learning to grab.

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785688

Last edited by stoked_32; 08-18-2011 at 2:52 PM.
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-20-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
Gotta get the fear out... Like John says, long line, clean wake, one wake jumps to build proper form and once clearing center line consistently... 45' and on 3rd jump you will get a smile that will brighten the whole lake. p.s.. 22 mph is asking for trouble at her level. Also, John did a great thread on the dilemma in coaching 'significant others' some months ago...