Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (hyperlite986)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
Has anyone rode this board? I'm coming off of a 2006 Byerly 137. I would like something similar to the byerly with speed and pop but that is a little more soft on the landings and carries into the flats more. Has anyone ridden both of these and how do they compare?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-12-2009, 9:36 PM Reply   
ive ridden both, but different years on both, but nevertheless the same shape.

i would say the layman is one board that fits your description/desires perfectly... unless you are looking for the SAME speed as the byerly. the Lyman will be faster.

if you really like byerly than maybe the monarch might work too

stay tuned for more opinions of course
Old     (emceecuen)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-12-2009, 11:48 PM Reply   
Dude, I can't live without my 08 Lyman and it's the same shape for 09. Jeremy is absolutely right. It does fit your description perfectly. The pop is incredible on the board, it's really stable, tracks well when you need it too and it lands incredibly soft. You wouldn't be disappointed with it.
If you lived close enough to me I would be more than willing to let you give it a spin.

(Message edited by emceecuen on April 12, 2009)
Old     (hyperlite986)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-13-2009, 6:00 AM Reply   
Thanks for your input guys. I wish I had a place to demo that was a little closer but the closest one is 4.5 hours away. I think I will make my decision in a couple weeks. I will wait on more replies for now.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-13-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
The Lyman is a great board. I ordered a Witness then got a chance to try the Lyman and thought:"oh, no. I made the wrong decision" but I like the Witness real good too. The Lyman is an awesome ride.
Old    joshj095            04-13-2009, 6:28 AM Reply   
PM SENT FOR DEAL
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-13-2009, 6:31 AM Reply   
The Lyman is sick. Last year I was riding the LF substance, and I demoed the Axis, Watson, Shane, Witness, and te Lyman. After I rode the Witness, I thought I found my next board, but then I hopped on the Lyman and was blown away. Great pop, very fast, good landings. Just a sick board. You wont be dissapointed, everyone I know who has rode the Lyman has really liked it.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-13-2009, 8:14 AM Reply   
its the same as the 08. just different graphics. i have one and love it. its an awesome board.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-13-2009, 8:25 AM Reply   
There is a difference between an '08 & '09 Lyman in the removable fins.They have 4 holes so you can choose from 2 positions to mount them,closer to the tail or closer to the center of the board.
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-13-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
yea bro buy a lyman, i got a 08 lyman last summer and i love it. The 139 is a great size w/good pop. I had never rode a board larger then 136, then everyone told me to go w/the 139 and it is awesome
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Only two rides on my 08' Lyman and I love it. Much faster than my 05' Absolute, lands softer (I thought my old board landed soft) and it's not too loose, and not too sticky on the water.

I had to add rope length because I kept overshooting the wake.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-13-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
I'm a Lyman lover too!! Wait...that came out wrong! :-) It helps me grab tindy!!
Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2009, 1:23 PM Reply   
TINDY IN FULL EFFECT!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   

quote:

By Blabelmooch (blabel) on Monday, April 13, 2009 - 1:10 pm:

I had to add rope length because I kept overshooting the wake.

that was the only thing i didn't like about the lyman. it took me more out than the shane did. i went more up than out on the shane.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-13-2009, 1:25 PM Reply   
It's my favorite grab and I don't care what Bill McCaffray says!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
That's a man that is secure with his riding!

I don't care where anyone grabs. Good style is good style.

Joe, I think it will just take an adjustment but I see what you mean. Does the Shane land as soft?
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-13-2009, 2:04 PM Reply   
Blabel what size Lyman are you riding? I've got a 2006 Shane 140 you can try if you like.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
blabel, yeah, the landings on the shane is what really sold me. sure, the pop is huge, the speed is fast, and it's not too loose or grippy, but it came down to the landings...super cooshy!

i've got the 09 shane 142 if you want to check it out.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-13-2009, 4:01 PM Reply   
Cool, thanks. Sounds like the Watson is something to fall back on if the Lyman doesn't work out.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-13-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Get the Lyman! You won't regret it.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-13-2009, 6:43 PM Reply   
Hey Micah I rode the 06 and 07 Byerly 137 for a long time. I could go huge on that board out into the flats and still get a lot of upward pop too. But man the landings were tough. I had a couple landings where I could feel my lower leg bones flex out on the landings. The my ortho looked at it and said I separated some muscles lol. I loved that board though, even though most hated it. I guess I need to try a Lyman I got off the Byerly after I broke two. One delam and one that just wasn't riding right (the 06) I sent it to my shop and they said I had an 8 inch crack running through my core length wise! (this was back with the clear jib bases)
Old     (hyperlite986)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-13-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
Kevin: That's how I feel about the Byerly as well. I also rode a 137. I was normally in the flats on a mellow cut. I blew my knee out last June tearing the ACL, MCL , and meniscus. A lot of people hated my board, but somehow I fell in love with it. I broke my first one as well but it was one of the wings that were cutout on the sides. I still want to boost even though I'm still recovering from a knee injury but I just need something that lands a little softer.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-14-2009, 6:23 AM Reply   
Yeah, if thats what you are looking for then you need something that will carry the speed on the landings. The byerly wouldnt carrythe speed much on the landings. Flex boards land soft in the flats if you put them down tail first. But knowing how Lyman rides, I would bet his board carries speed on the landings. Let me know if you get a Lyman, I have been wanting to try one. Also, is it just me, or could you not slash the hell out of the wake on that Byerly? Ive always wanted to get my hands on a 142.