Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (skongolf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-08-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
Just picked up our x-30 and it has a square ended hitch that goes over the ball of my receiver. My other boat had a tab that you would flip back then you could stick a padlock through it to secure it. Where can I put a lock on this one to keep it safe? The only place I can see is a hole on the underside that I have to stick a pin through that holds the back hitch tab in place. Is that where I can put a lock? Just curious what others do.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-08-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
They make hitch locks, its a thing that goes where the ball would and somehow locks in there. You can get one anywhere that has trailer stuff IIRC
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       05-08-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
Do you have a picture of what it looks like?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-08-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Like Adam said. For example, Ace Hardware. File off the curvature to make it flat. If you ask, I'll take pics and post.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-08-2011, 6:00 PM Reply   
You want something like this?

http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...PRODUCT_1480KA
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-08-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
Try one of these. This isn't necessarily for your trailer, but they make many styles.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...pler-lock.aspx

We use these on our construction trailers and I have had to get on off without the key. I couldn't pry it off and ended up using an abrasive cut off wheel.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-08-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
Your question suggested a different kind of lock, and there are several styles.

Google: Master Lock Universal Coupler Lock

eg.,

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2024_200172024
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-08-2011, 6:06 PM Reply   
Cool, that's the style I'm looking for to lock my trailer. Mine is similar to Steve's and the coupler cannot be locked with a standard type of coupler lock.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-08-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
I think what you guys need is this if you want to lock the trailer to the vehicle or just lock it to make it harder to steal:
http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...RODUCT_1481DAT

The smaller one is for the tongue of the trailer and it sticks all the way through the small holes at the bottom of the tongue. The larger one is to lock the hitch to your vehicle.

I have a MariStar 230 which, depending on the year, probably has the same trailer as yours and that's what I use.

Last edited by Jeff; 05-08-2011 at 8:43 PM.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-09-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, even better. That small pin in the Master Lock kit would lock my coupler on or off the truck, though I will probably order one of the ball/over setups too for extra safety. If it's time consuming, complicated, or conspicuous/loud to steal, they'll move on to an easier target.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-09-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have the same trailer coupler on an Extreme trailer & just put a regular Master lock padlock thru the holes on one side..... both when it's hooked to the truck and when it's sitting by itself. I doubt it's going to stop anyone who is really convinced they need my trailer, but it keeps honest people honest.
Old    SamIngram            05-09-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
Get a high quality lock with the smallest keyway that you can find. I average about 45 seconds on a standard Masterlock and about 5 minutes with a fancy hitch lock while on my back in an awkward position.

Locks are for honest people
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-09-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I think what you guys need is this if you want to lock the trailer to the vehicle or just lock it to make it harder to steal:
http://www.masterlock.com/products/p...RODUCT_1481DAT

The smaller one is for the tongue of the trailer and it sticks all the way through the small holes at the bottom of the tongue. The larger one is to lock the hitch to your vehicle.

I have a MariStar 230 which, depending on the year, probably has the same trailer as yours and that's what I use.
Awesome. I was just wondering if they made one of those the other day. Thanks for the link.

My ghetto way of securing the boat to the truck was running a huge chain and lock through the trailer tire and the trailer axel.