Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2010, 4:46 PM Reply   
So I ride Ronix Cell bindings... I bought a pair new in 09 and loved them. The tongue started to tear away from the boot so Ronix, being as awesome they are, replaced them through my local dealer last spring under warranty. They gave me the 2010 boots instead.

Now from what the dealer said, the 09 to 10 boots are virtually the same except for color. But all last summer the right foot would pinch a little bit, no matter how tight or loose I rode them. I thought they would break in but they never got to that comfortable spot my 09's had even after a whole season of riding.

I know the inners say heat moldable, but my local dealer does not have the special heater thing at their shop. Has anyone popped these in the oven at a low heat and molded them at home? If so, what heat and how long did you do them for?

Or is this a horrible idea and I'll be eating baked bindings for dinner?

Thanks guys
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-07-2010, 5:02 PM Reply   
are they intuition liners? I've heat molded my ski and alpine snowboard boot intuition liners in the oven and it works fine. Set oven to 250, when it hits temp, turn it off, pop liners in for 15 minutes. They will puff up. Slide foot into warm liner then slide foot/liner combo into boot shell. Clamp down loosely for 10 minutes or so. I've got the most comfortable snow sports boots ever.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
Yes they are Intuition liners... but I don't think they actually come out of the boot? I could be wrong, I'll look tonight. I was under the impression the whole boot goes in the oven, so I would assume it should be ok then.

So you just heat them up then wear them loosely for 10 minutes until they cool back down? Seems easy enough.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-07-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
my experience is only with the snowsports stuff, so take it for what it is.

By "loosely," I don't mean "loose." Meaning, when the liner is puffed up and your foot is in it, it should be snug. But you don't want to crank everything all the way down because you'll squish all the puff out of it (if that makes sense lol).
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-07-2010, 5:19 PM Reply   
Oh and as a first try you might want to try either (a) using a hair dryer to get it nice and warm inside, or (b) putting a bunch of rice in a sock and heating it in the microwave, then putting the hot sock of rice in the boot to warm it, before removing and putting your own foot in.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2010, 11:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help shawndoggy... I'll try some of these ideas for sure. How can you tell it's a long winter... I wouldn't take the time to worry about this during the summer, I would ride em even if they hurt.. haha.

Anyone else chime in that's baked their ronix boots in the oven? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt em.. after all how 'special' can this heater thing be that the dealers get?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-08-2010, 12:42 AM Reply   
I've used the 'Special' heater and a hair dryer with the same results. You just got to make sure you leave your foot in until it cools.
And the tighter the fit you want the looser you make the boots when you're molding them so that the foam doesn't stays expanded.
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       12-08-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
The heater is just two vents per boot that is just like a hair dryer except that it gets to 120 deg F. You want to have them at that temp for about 5mins.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-08-2010, 8:29 AM Reply   
You'll be fine putting the liner in the oven. I did it with my Slingshot liners with no problem. SS actually sends you instructions on how to do it in the oven.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-08-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Stuey, you can also take them to any of the Mad Dog's/Source for sport locations or anywhere that carries ski/snowboard gear. I took mine to Mad Dog's in Abbotsford here and they have one of the machines for molding the liners on ski boots which is the same machine. I did this with my old cells and it seemed to work fine. My 2010's I didn't bother with, they will mold over time with riding.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       12-08-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
I personally wouldn't recommend using a hair dryer. I tried this a few months ago with my 2009 Ronix Reliks. When I put my foot in the boot and pulled the straps, they ripped right out of the boot on both sides. Luckily for me, Ronix hooked me up with new 2011 Reliks. I think this time I will either not bother with molding or go my the dealer about two hours away and do it. If you choose to use the hair dryer just make sure not to leave it on them to long. I did mine for about 8 minutes.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-08-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
Its my understanding that both ronix and slingshot use "intuition liners"

from my experience (WITH SLINGSHOT LINERS), the liners get slightly stiffer for each time they are heated. it is so slight you would not notice unless you had another unmolded liner to compare. re-mold them a couple times more (avoid doing this if possible IMO) and you will start to notice notice it. or atleast this is my experience with two pairs of heated liners.

personally i like to buy them one size big and then wear neo-socks to make it super cushy.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-08-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
Ronix liners do not come out of the boot. And putting your metal baseplate in an oven is probably not a great idea. I would suggest following the above instructions for a hair dryer.
Old     (JohnM)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-09-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
I would not recommend putting your boots in the oven. The materials that compose the outer boot are not meant to withstand hight heat. You might melt some of the material.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-09-2010, 9:17 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'll try the hair dryer at home, if not I'll take em to Mad Dogs like Dave suggested (thanks!). I'm just trying to mold them enough that the one boot doesn't pinch anymore... if they get to the exact mold of my foot even better!

Dave, winter is so long eh.. I look at my boat in the garage every day and miss summer, haha. At least the mountains are covered already..
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
I don't know if I would even use a hairdyer. I've used the Ronix/Intuision cooker and it dosen't really get that hot (please correct me if I am wrong, but I only think about 110F).

If you don't have access to a cooker--consider using a Hot spa. That should only be about 104-106F.

You can do a lot more harm over-heating the liners than under heating them. Or you could just break them in the old fashion way.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-09-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Ronix liners do not come out of the boot.

Do not put them in the oven either.

Hairdryer is sketch at best.

Hot tub is acceptable.

Best bet is to use the heater from Intuition.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-09-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
Stuey, ya it sucks, I atleast have my boat put away in Merritt at our summer house but I still come on here all the time so wakeboarding never slips from my mind. Hoping to get up to Baker here soon. Have a great Christmas.
Old     (saundo)      Join Date: Nov 2010       12-10-2010, 12:00 AM Reply   
ronix liners do come out, undo the two screws on the base plate at the back, take out all the lace's and then the whole inner will come out pretty easily, i did it plenty of times last year to get new inners on warranty