Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (gsulawwake)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
My friends just got a Malibu XTS.
We filled the ballast full. Bow - 250lbs, Center 500 lbs, Stern (left and right) 500 lbs.
And We had 3 adults on board.
The wake was very wide for a 20ft boat. The wake was huge, which we loved and playing with the power wedge gave us a rampy wake or a nice lip.
I was riding at 24 miles an hour with the rope out 70 ft. and the wake was very wide. It took some really wide cuts to clear the wake and whenever I did a tantrum I landed on the crest of the wake.
Any suggestions on how to narrow the wake? Do I need to speed up a little more? OR is there a ballast configuration that will give me a narrower wake.

I feel like a wuss when I bring the rope in to 65, but I had to to land some tantrums.

(I am used to a 06 Centerion Avalanche wake, 21 ft. with a 102 beam and 800lb ballast. It was wide for beginners but I had no problem with it.) I am shocked by how wide this 20ft boat is.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-01-2008, 2:02 PM Reply   
Malibu's throw a wide wake. Either come in 5' or go 25-25.5mph to help get you over.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-01-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
I would shorten the rope to whatever feels right. Who cares what others ride at?
Old     (slfxm)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
I'm with Alain on this one.

I've often wondered what the big deal is with people saying they ride at 90' at 28 mph or whatever. I've seen people ride at around 65' and 21 MPH and still look smooth doing some sick tricks. What's the big deal with rope length and speed?

We have a 96 sunsetter vlx (I believe the hull is similar to early wakesetters). At around 65' the wake is a little too narrow and I land in the flats even when I don't want to. 7' more and it's too wide. The wake gets wide pretty quick. Other than that, I love the wake.
Old     (gsulawwake)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
I guess I like the length for inverts. When its too short I feel like I have to rotate faster to make it around.
Old     (trippin132)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-01-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
if the wake is too wide another option is to dump more ballast up the nose... it sounds like you are running quite bum heavy which while giving you a big, steep chunky wake also makes it crest over a bit much and widen the wake. another 500 up the front will clean the wake up so its still big and lippy but should allow you to run 70 foot quite easily...
Old     (gsulawwake)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-01-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
If I dont want to deal with a fat sack, would emptying some from the stern help?
Center?
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       09-01-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
If you like the feel of the wake right now other than being too wide dont change anything. Just come in 5' or speed up the boat 1-1.5mph. Give it a try.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       09-01-2008, 5:40 PM Reply   
speed is needed when ur further out cause thats were the sweet spot is. The length gives you hang time.
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-01-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
Your riding behind a good wake and boat now. My suggestion is learn to ride the wider wake. Your riding will improve dramitically if you do. Progression in what its all about. Go bigger(progress) not smaller(degress)...... my $.02

(Message edited by riverratboarder on September 01, 2008)
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-01-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Check the speed with GPS and calibrate the speed. Our VLX with Malibu speed control is off 1.8 mph. So on the cruise control if you were riding at 24 you would really be doing 22.2. Speed up and see what happens. I do believe 65'is to short on a Malibu. It does not give you enough slack in the line to do some tricks.