Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2007, 9:54 PM Reply   
I have a small wakeboard boat rental business here in utah. Im looking at picking up a epic for 08. What boat would you suggest lsv, x-star or the epic? I have a few tige's and love them, I have listed a xstar and lsv on my site to see what draws more interest, but have yet to buy one. I really like epic's boat but do you think it would do better than a x-star or malibu? You can check out my site at www.freedomrecreationrentals.com Let me know what yall think. Thanks Ben

(Message edited by frr on October 11, 2007)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-11-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
I'm not likely a customer so don't pay too much attention but wouldn't the Epic's light weight let you rent it to more people that the big names?
If you had a single axle trailer it might be at 3500lb. (You'd have to check) Also, I think they might see the benefit in having a rental out there to increase awareness.
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-11-2007, 10:11 PM Reply   
i think with past threads about " the best to buy". your going to leave this thread with more questions than answers. the best advice that reasonable people give is. DEMO ALL THOSE BOATS YOU HAVE IN MIND. IMO if you go with the master-craft or malibu you wont go wrong. i dont know about the epics so i wont put my 2 cents in. good luck
Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-11-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
I have talked to a few guys from epic, and should be able to demo one here soon. The lighter weight, like you said would be a big plus. Anyone have any info on the resin infused hull, ie strength and durability?
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       10-12-2007, 12:31 AM Reply   
i think most people would want to rent an X-star because everyone has heard of them. i have talked to people that have never boarded before and they ask if i have a X-star and ride a hyperlite because thats what they hear most.
Old     (wkbrdindmax)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-12-2007, 12:42 AM Reply   
I agree with Mike. Mastercraft and X-star both have huge name recognition and should bring a premium. Hang some posters up of Parks and Rusty with their boats, and that X-star will be gone all season.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2007, 5:23 AM Reply   
I agree go with the X- very well known
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-12-2007, 5:35 AM Reply   
third the x-star...name recognition
Old     (dailyssv)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2007, 5:36 AM Reply   
The Epic boat is an awesome built boat Ive worked in composites in the aircraft business its resin infused so it has to be vacuumed sealed and is the best way and most expensive and time consuming way to build a boat. thats why the others don't do it.I would take a good look at the Epic I'm sure its a better built boat than the other manufactures.But the X-Star and Malibu are more well known they are also a wise choice.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
I would buy whatever you get the best deal on; also assuming you will sell after each season or two. In the end, you want to make money.

With that, it would be GREAT to get in with either Taylor’s, UWS or someone with Epic and do a "deal" where you get boats at a special price, giving them advertising, flipping them and getting new ones yearly.

In the end, I don't think someone rents or doesn't rent because you have an Epic, Malibu or Mastercraft....they rent because you have a world class inboard.... Or they just rent because you have a boat available and they don’t have a boat.... Jordanelle keeps their Moombas rented out all year long for more than your listed rental costs. I am 100% confident that people are not saying, "hummmm....I would rent a boat up there, but they don't have a Malibu."
Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
Yeah exactly what I was thinking. Im working on getting epics at a reduced cost, so I leaning towards them. Is Taylor's boats going to be the epic dealer for utah?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-12-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Not to my knowledge, but it would be a solid move for Epic IMO.

Just don't know if Malibu would have issues with a competing brand on the floor.

Word on the street is that is what caused the shake up with the Tige/Correct Craft/Malibu and Taylor's/Croft....bla...bla...bla...
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-12-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Just curious, how long have you been doing this. The reason I ask, is because my wife and I have contemplated guying a vacation home on a lake and then advertising it on a vacation home rental site. I thought about buying a boat also and renting it out. That way we would not have to tow our boat down with us when we did our vacation. Probably will never amount to more then a dream...
Old     (frr)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-12-2007, 6:11 PM Reply   
I have been doing this for just one summer now, last summer worked out fine, we broke even. There is a lot of start up costs associated and a short season here in utah. This year we should do better. The only problem I see with having a boat with your vacation home is verifying boat condition after the rental. If you had time to go out after each rental, you would be fine, or if you could find someone with experience renting out boats to do it for you you would be ok. Also most folks need a little instruction on how to operate the boat prior to taking it out on the lake. So if you could get those issues worked out then I say go for it. As far as the rental property goes, you cant go wrong. Good luck, and if you ever need a boat for lake powell give me a call.