Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
I have a 1996 Mastercraft that the gellcoat is getting hazy. It has been covered and it in the shade its whole life but doesnt shine the way it used to even after a good wax and buff. Any suggestions? Also anyone know of a good product to prevent water spots, even after a fresh wax it water spots very easily. Thanks for the help
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-10-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
they don't make such a thing --- try sand paper....
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Yep, your boat probalby needs to be wetsanded to bring it back. For waterspots, you can use half water/half vinegar solution.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
what grit of sandpaper would you recommend?
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-10-2007, 12:09 PM Reply   
depends on how bad it is -- start light w/ 1400 or so...may have to go down to 1000 or even 800.. if you are not experienced, be very careful, you can end up worse off than you are.. a close friend of mine did my 94 205 and it looked brand spankin new
Old     (salomon16)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 12:49 PM Reply   
I would try 3M Super duty rubbing compound. It worked great on getting the hazy oxidation off my 87 Mastercraft. Use it with a rotary buffer and it will be fast and effective and not as extreme as sanding.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
thx alex, I am a little afraid of breaking out the sandpaper. If the rubbing compound did not work I could move up to the sanding right?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-10-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
If you use a real buffer, not the rotary random orbital type, but a real buffer, you will have great results with 3M rubbing compound without the need to sand. For proof go look at my boat. Be sure you polish and then wax once you are done with the compounding. Don't worry about burning through, gelcoat is thick. I took mine down 5 mil or more to get it smooth. Wet sanding is probably only required if you can feel divots with your fingernail or if you have visible scratches in the coat you want to remove. Trying to use rubbing compound by hand is akin to using a broom as a mop.

Buy a harbor freight $20 special buffer with a speed dial, set the speed to medium and buff away. Rubbing compound is abrasive.....it does the same thing as a fine sandpaper when used properly; explains why it is the last step in the mirror finish before polish.

(Message edited by olskooltige on September 10, 2007)
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-10-2007, 3:20 PM Reply   
I agree, sandpaper is only for taking out scratches you can feel with your fingernail. Light scratches/swirls and oxidation should be taken out with a rotary buffer and gelcoat polish before stepping up to wetsanding. Go to a detail shop that has experience with gelcoat if you don't want to do this yourself.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-10-2007, 4:20 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/282492.html
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-10-2007, 4:23 PM Reply   
Don't listen to these guys with their sandpaper recommendation. If your boat is really oxidized (chalky color) you can bring it back with a few steps.

Start with Meguiars heavy duty oxidation remover. Best done with a buffer. You will see your color come back.

Then go over it again with Meguiars cleaner wax.

Then once again with a carnuba wax.

I use Meguiars and find it much easier to remove than the 3M products.

Good luck and show us some before and after pics.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-10-2007, 5:25 PM Reply   
The quick and easy way:
The ever-controversial, 303 Aerospace Protectant, from you local autoparts store will immediately turn the gel coat shiny again, but the first application usually washes off in water. If you keep applying it and leaving it on there, it will eventually sink in and not wash off, leaving your previously oxidized gel coat shiny and new looking again... no scrubbing, buffing, sanding, etc.

Applying 50/50 white vinegar and water in a spray bottle with a towel/rag} is supposed to be the secret for taking off hard water spots. I've heard that some people like apple vinegar though, because it doesn't smell as bad.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
If really bad use 3m superduty, you have to follow that with 3m finishing compound to get totally bright. Most of the time finishing compound is all that is required. A low speed buffer with a foam pad works wonders.
Old     (wakegirl22)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
I agree with Ronia. Meguiars is what we use at the place that I work at and that is our specialty. The only one suggestion I have is after using the oxidation remover aka 49 go back over it using Meguiars Polish aka 45. Then go ahead and wax it. Just be sure to use a buffer on medium speed and don't stand in one spot for a long period of time because you can burn the gel coat.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-10-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   
Buffing and wet sanding do the same thing. It cuts the gel coat down. I don't care how you look at it. Some times it is quicker to wet sand and then buff verse just trying to buff only. That 3m super duty compound is like liquid sand paper. I have some and I don't really care for it.
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-15-2007, 5:06 AM Reply   
No question use the 3M with the buffer then apply wax the boat will look like new. If you've not used a buffer before it will take a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it you'll be amazed at the difference. While it's true that using the rubbing compound is similar to wet sanding IMO it's much easier to get right. As for the Harbor Freight buffer it's great for the price but if you're like me and like your tools spend the extra and get a dewalt or makita, they're MUCH nicer than the HF one.
Old     (fill_er_up)      Join Date: May 2006       10-15-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Can you clarify which pad to use at which step. The foam pad, the wool pad, the cloth or whichever you all are using. I got different answers from the auto parts guy who couldnt figure out why I'd want to polish a boat...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-15-2007, 6:35 PM Reply   
Use a foam pad for compounding (3m Super Duty) and for polishing (3m Finesse) and for wax application. I use a cloth to remove all 3 and then a wool pad for final buffing. You only need the 3m Super Duty if there is really heavy oxidation or light scratches to be removed. The only way I have been able to get new boat shine is to use 3m Finesse polishing compounding.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-16-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
....then when you really want the gel to shine, wash all the other waxes and products off the boat and use Zaino.
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-16-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
Meguiar's color restorer has a fine grit to it. Works great for me.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-16-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
I use meguars mirror glaze product called marine oxidization remover and it works great by hand
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-16-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
David - Post that picture of your boat! That shine was so crazy I didn't even know what the picture was of at first.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-16-2007, 2:45 PM Reply   
What kind of foam buffing pads are you guys using and where can I buy one? I have the Dewalt buffer http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=174
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-16-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
check out "Buffing out scratches"
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-16-2007, 3:35 PM Reply   
I dont know why everyone keeps saying rubbing compound and or wetsand and polishing machines. That's way to much work. Just kick back on your coutch. Crack a beer or two, There is bound to be a comercial with the "Magic scratch remover" on the TV. Just call the 800 # and order some up. Show all these fools how to realy put a shine on your ride.