Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (boardridesurf)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-04-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
I have plans to install a heatercraft heater in my boat tomorrow to keep everyone happy and warm in the early spring, late fall and for late evening summer sessions here in Colorado. I have used the search function and just about everyone who has responded about these heaters give them lots of praise. But I just can't see how these provide enough heat in the cockpit when motoring, and I understand the engine has to be on for them to work. Even with having a pull out tube, it seems like the tube would only heat one person at a time-and then only when the engine is on.
Therefore I did a search to see if there were 12v plug-in options. Has anyone tried using a 12v plug-in blanket or small plug-in heater. It seems like these don't draw very many amps (around 6), and therefore I figure I could have two of these blankets plugged in even when the engine was off and not have any problems. Thinking back over last season, the most complaints about the cold come from the women on the boat and its usually when we are hanging out late into the evening after the sun is down and we are listening to music with the engine off. Doesn't sound like a heatercraft heater will help much with this scenario. I was convinced that the heatercraft was the way to go, but now I am second guessing this. The heatercraft will cost me around $775 installed and two 12v plug-in blankets would only cost a total of around $100 for two good ones. I am sure I will get the response to get the heatercraft for when the engine is on and to also purchase the 12v blankets. However, I am really wondering if the heatercraft is worth the $775 or if I should just make due with 12v blankets. Advice?