Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-18-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a barefoot international boom for my VLX. I always have newbee kids on the boat and thought that this might help with the learning curve. I also regularly take my cooks out on the boat. A couple of them are 350lbs+. B.I. says that their boom is plenty strong enough to get the job done.
Do any of you guys with V-Drives use a boom to teach wake boarding? anyone selling a B204V?
thanks
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-18-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
Just installed one on my boss's Malibu VTX. Very solid although on this particular model, I had to modify the mount so the rear locker covers could open while the boom is attatched to the pylon. And yes people do use them to teach wakeboarding but mainly used for teaching barefooting.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-18-2011, 7:01 PM Reply   
I have used the V drive version and the center pylon version.....I sent the V drive version back. The way it is angled and such it seemed like there was a ton of force/leverage on the side of the boat. Also, it made it hard to open the rear doors while attached.

That being said, the center pylon Barefoot boom is one of the best investments I think you can make on a boat that you often have noobs out on. I started my kids out on it and it was a very smooth and quick transition to the back of the boat.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-18-2011, 8:14 PM Reply   
We have one that we use. We are barefooters and one guy who foots with us is over 300 pounds and it holds up fine. The boom is a awesome learning tool for noobs of any age and really helps teaching without falling. We use a the center pylon version btw.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-19-2011, 5:42 AM Reply   
"The boom is a awesome learning tool for noobs of any age and really helps teaching without falling"
I hope your just talking about barefooting, because I see no reason for wakeboarders to be out on the boom, people have died out on the center pylon boom.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-19-2011, 11:07 AM Reply   
^^^ I've never heard of any deaths from people using barefoot booms. I'm pretty sure any deaths would be discussed here, over and over again. Perhaps I've missed these threads? Could you provide details regarding "people have died out on the center pylon boom," please?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-19-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have a v drive boom from Barefoot International and have had it since 2001- LOVE IT! The BEST tool for teaching, kids or adults how to ski, board etc. No complaints whatsoever.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-19-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
Booms are great tools to teach any of the towed watersports. I know some guys who wakeboard and wakeskate off of a boom. It's the only way to do the no handed butt grab.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorcalFo.../0/mBfllB8_hjs

Last edited by bftskir; 03-19-2011 at 6:57 PM.
Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-19-2011, 8:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmoe View Post
"The boom is a awesome learning tool for noobs of any age and really helps teaching without falling"
I hope your just talking about barefooting, because I see no reason for wakeboarders to be out on the boom, people have died out on the center pylon boom.
Please provide evidence my dude?