Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-16-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
I'm having a similar problem as Kasey. I have a 91 Sunsetter with 25 hrs on the rebuilt engine and about the same on a remanufactured 4bl Rochester quadrajet. I'm in Aspen, so run it at about 8000 feet. I can gun it and it sounds great, gets up to about half speed, and dies. I can cruise at lower speeds, but not enough to wakeboard. I can pump it real hard and get it to not stall out, but I still lose all power. I've talked to lots of people and am getting lots of useless help. The last was that I needed a Wedge between the carb and intake to level the carb out. I ordered one and will try it tomorrow, but don't think that's going to fix it. Was told that jetting is not an issue with that carb. Any thoughts?
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Has the carb been tuned to run at that elevation? It needs to be jetted for 8000 ft. Even still it should have a lack of power but run.

Possible causes, fuel pump failing, check volume and pressure. Carb needs rebuilding, have it jetted at the same time. Timing issues, but most likely not as you said you can pump it to keep it running.

Forget the wedge, that is not going to help. The carb will work at any angle that your boat can tilt too in the water. You are not climbing a rock wall with it.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
I would first check your timing. That is something simple that you can check in about 10 min. After that, I would check for vacuum leaks on your carb. You can do this by spraying carb cleaner around the gaskets when you have the engine running. If the RPM’s increase, you know you have a leak and need to get a new gasket / rebuild. You should also make sure that you are not getting to much gas. Your float bowls could be off somehow and that would make it run bad also.
Old     (aspenshayn)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-17-2007, 9:36 PM Reply   
after all of the pain and suffering I went thru trying to figure this out, it was.... the fuel filter. the cheapest fix and the easiest. running strong now. Thanks for all the input