Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    live2wakeboard            06-23-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
Wats up i need some advice i am looking for a sweet boat that puts out a huge huge wake and i sort of need a okay price i mean i can spend some but i don't want to spend a bunch unless u need to spend alot of money for the wake thaks TY
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-24-2004, 4:02 AM Reply   
Your post is really vague. How about an intended budget. For example - $45k. Gekko, Sanger, Moomba. $65k Malibu, Nautique, MasterCraft. $25k - Gekko, Moomba. 10K - used SN 2001; etc. We need a bit more to work with.
Old    live2wakeboard            06-24-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
}Sry about that i don't really need to know prices i just want to know wat boats put out the biggest wake
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-24-2004, 11:11 AM Reply   
There has been a lot of discussion on this. Use the search function and you will have more feeback and information than you can process.

I am a Gekko dealer, so I pump their boats. Most companies produce boats that can build big wakes. The use of the boat separates one from the other for the averge user. For example, I like rampy wake rather than steep, so I like the Gekko over the SAN from the rider's perspective. Most will agree that the SAN has the better reputation and it has definately pulled more pros. However, the Gekko may be what you need because it seats 11 comfortably and the SAN is much smaller and has less storage.

Buying a boat is a very personal matter. I is up to you to decide what criteria is important and match a boat to your wants, needs, and desires.
Old     (hypedrider7)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-24-2004, 11:44 AM Reply   
Ty,
Are you talking about biggest wake with ballast or not? I have rarely rode a wake as big as a Mastercraft loaded down beyond limit and the Supra Launch as well. The SAN has a rampy wake that gets big, but Mastercraft and Supra is bigger/taller. Each wake is different and fits different riding style, just commenting on pure size.

Jerrod
Old    tommyadrian5            06-24-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
"The SAN has a rampy wake that gets big, but Mastercraft and Supra is bigger/taller"

Actually, its the other way around.

Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-24-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
Oh, great not another one of these threads.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
lynch em. lets string that bastard, yellow bellied, no good, worthless, lying, s.o.b. up!j/k
there are a bunch of big wake boats biggest being cc210/ mc-x star/ x 2. and the pic i saw of a sanger v210
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 1:35 PM Reply   
Any of those boats will do just fine of your beginner to even a intermediate rider. The experts that are trying double flips and 720's really are the only ones who are that picky over the wake. YOu can load up any boat to create a bigger wake. I think Nautique and mastercraft have been doing it longest and therefore have the money to spend on engineering a good product. Dont base youe entire deicision of a boat on the size or shape of the wake. Centerions wakes are pretty good but the boats are P.O.S. just a small example. I am probably going to get multiple threads back now yelling at me for my opinion. Owell. GO FOR THE NAUTIQUE!
Yes I am biased because I have one! :-)
Old    oshensurfer            06-24-2004, 2:02 PM Reply   
Travis said:
"Centerions wakes are pretty good but the boats are P.O.S. just a small example."

Travis,
When was the last time you were in a Centurion and what year boat was it? I'll tell you one thing, my Centurion isn't a POS and the customer service is outstanding. The only reason you get people pissed is becuase you generalize and dog peoples boats by making a stupid statement that all of a particular brand are POS.. Maybe you had a bad experience. Attribute it to that instead of being an a$$.

My $.02 on Nautiques.. WAY over priced and the one I looked at and picked apart at the boat show this year was a POS. No room, no storage, poor layout, crooked seams, pulling apart vinyl, lots of flashy chrome and inlays, manual wake plate lever thing (WTF is that?), has a good wake, but ain't worth the cash..... The company is a friggin greedy money grubbing corporation that isn't good for the sport anyway.

By the way and on a serious note.. you did a nice job on your restore.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on June 24, 2004)

(Message edited by oshensurfer on June 24, 2004)
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
Never owned a centerion, engineer at my work has a 2003 Air warrior. Nothing but problems from

Ballast pump failure (twice)
Tower falling apart (loose crews)
Forgot to place the order for the boat to be built when purchased.
Exhaust manifold gasket leak already.
passenger seat flies up while driving.

I can go on..

They use a cheap 2 way ballast pump that when heats up the fins get stuck in one direction, so they tell you to turn it in the other direction after filling/emptying it.

Bottom line, you get what you pay for.

Nautique uses 2 pumps, one fill one empty.

Im sure overall Centerions are nice boats, that was a bad statement on my part. But the customer service in California SUCKS for Centurion.
The boat was there 45 days to replace a ballast pump. CMON NOW!

By the way, everything I restored my nautique with came straight from correctcraft in Riverside.
Never met the guys there before, sod me all the stickers and more FOR THEIR COST, NO MARKUP, even shipped the molding and stickers that werent in stock to my house for free, kept me updated by calling me. THATS CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Old    chavezychavez            06-24-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
I won't even get started on the greed of Correct Craft. I will just agree with what Scott just said as my opinions of their fit, finish, and overall design is about the same.

I will say that boats are very personal, everyone has opinions, and IMO no 1 boat brand is better than another. Personally, I like Centurion's current level of quality and customer service. I also like Sanger, Calabria, MC, and BU for the same reasons.

Always remember - the "best" boat is the one you are riding behind.
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   

I am glad to be riding behind any boat. I agree
Chavez. Different strokes for different folks. Me personally wouldnt mind owning any brand new boat no matter what the make. I dont have that kind of money to spend on a new boat and dont want to be in debt for 15 years doing it, thats why I ended spending a total of 12K for what I think is a pretty nice boat. But customer service is HUGE to me and to here horror stories like the person with the centerion scares me. the guys at CorrectCtaft made me feel important even though I wasnt spending 50 G's on a boat. Even in motorcycles these days, no matter what the brand your going to get something nice when you spend enough money. Customer service probably varies state to state, or peoples perseption of what good customer service is.
Sorry if I offended anybodys boat.

SEE YOU IN THE WATER
Old    chavezychavez            06-24-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Travis: The real bottom line, Centurion owners have damn near $30000 extra dollars in their pocket.

Those issues are all warranty and should have been taken care of by the dealer. If they weren't, it is a problem with his dealership/service center and he should contact Centurion/Fineline directly to complain. If he does this I guarantee you that he will get results within a timely manner and to his satisfaction.

Everyone else that I know with a Centurion has NOT had these problems and what piddly things did go wrong were corrected... quickly.
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   

I said the same thing to him about getting these things fixed but the boat only has a one year warranty and it will end up sitting on the lot for 2 months to get fixed. Not my boat, not my problem. Anyways, Like I said Im sure overall Centerions are nice boats, they are beautiful too. I am biased on Nautiques like you are on Centurion. I am sure if we go at this long enough someone will come up with a horror story from a Nautique dealer too. Glad to hear you have no problems with yours.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
lets see how good that centurion is in 20 years!!
will probably be in the scrap pile.
nautiques overpriced -maybe
quality- definetly
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 2:36 PM Reply   
Amen Bratha
Old    oshensurfer            06-24-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
"... But the customer service in California SUCKS for Centurion.
The boat was there 45 days to replace a ballast pump. CMON NOW! "

I think what your friend is experiencing is like Chavey said. Bad service from a bad dealer. I agree also that your buddy should contact Centurion directly. I can provide THE guy that will take care of the problems. I had to do that when I was getting poor service from a dealer. On the ballast pump, no less. (BTW, MC used the same Jabsco pumps, so it's not a Centurion Specific issue) I'm lucky now. I've found a service dept. that is second to none. HOWEVER, Centurion/Fineline themselves has been outstanding to deal with. They've sent me all kinds of free crap, from a new fuel filter to switches for projects, even after my warranty was up. They light a fire under the dealers or merc when there's issues in my experience. The same kind of cust service that you've gotten from CC.

I can't agree on the "you get what you pay for" statement for a couple of reasons, but I'll leave it be for now. Thanks for clarifying, though.

Later.
Old    chavezychavez            06-24-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Travis and 882001 - you both own 2001's. Your experiences are "dated" for lack of a better term. Both of you have done impressive restore jobs on your respective machines with help of the local CC reps, but as you have stated have not had a "new boat" experience with CC or their dealerships.

I guess what I am saying is your information is third-hand, while Scott's with Fineline is first hand. Just keep that in perspective when arguing with Scott that today's Centurions are POS's or even arguing that CC's are the better/the best.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
sorry travis and i are so ignorant about life. oh mighty leader may i go take a dump?
travis, nice job almost bought a 90 instead of my 88.looks great.did you have the rear air nauique stickers made or dealer? how much
i once rode in an 87 centurion im lucky to be alive.
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 4:32 PM Reply   
You make me laugh 882001, nice job on the boat. Our "dated" boats. Mine is paid for, how bout you Chavez?

Anyways, the California correctCraft dealer "CCC" in Riverside supplied all the stickers.

The rear air nautique stickers list for $120 each, They sold them to me for $65. The larger 04 airnautique stickers run $200 each, I got them for $100 each. new molding for $45. Extra prop for $200. Boss B-50 chrome for $479. The guys there were REALLY cool, hooked me up. Answered a zillion questions I had on my boat. Guys name is Mack (parts manager) great to do business with. Good luck.
Dont think that someone has never spent time in/Drove in brand new boats. BTW Chavez, the only pros I see driving Centerions are the ones that got one free with the sponser that have to drive and promote them. Dont be get your but sore becuase your mad at yourself for not buying a nautique. HA HA..... Nautiques ROCK!!

Old     (jase_f)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-24-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
Who would want an old @$$ boat like that? Exspecially since it doesn't have an engine right now.
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
What boat doesnt have an engine??
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
i would take a 96 sport nautique over a 2005 centurion. anyday. that should tell you something
Old     (jase_f)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-24-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
882001 is dead in the water.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
jase jase toilet face is talking about me. but it will be out of the machine shop soon. here is how jase takes care of his boat.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 4:48 PM Reply   
so you probably dont want him borrowing anything. a nautique would have made it.
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Quit making me laugh so hard!! I am at fricken work!!!
Old     (jase_f)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-24-2004, 4:52 PM Reply   
I didn't see the damn!!!
Old    nautiqueboarder            06-24-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
Do you guys know each other or something?
Old     (jase_f)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-24-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
Next time when we go in my new boat you can sit here...

seat
Old     (jase_f)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-24-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Yeah, we hang out sometimes. He does have a sweet ass stereo going though. To bad only his neighbors know about it.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
yeah,i know him. hes a nautique hater.my boat is in a little better shape thou
Old    chavezychavez            06-24-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
You two...

I didn't mean your boats were "dated" only that your experiences were with "not new" boats. I even said "for lack of a better term". Also I never said you did not spend time in new boats.

It's great you found a helpful and knowledgeable dealer. They obviously care about earning your future business.

Oh and why would I get my "but-sore"? I am not hyping Centurion or any other brand. I also will not buy in to your CC hype. There are many boat brands out there, and you just can't say that any one is the best. What you have now may be right for you, but what about the rest of us? What if we don't like the way CC does this or that? What if Centurion (or any other brand) does it better in our opine? What if we don't feel like dropping 60 large? What if we have just as much fun on a 35k boat?

BTW: yes my Sea-Ray is paid for.

88, your sarcasm is noted. For the record, feel free to take your dump.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2004, 5:10 PM Reply   
What if we don't feel like dropping 60 large?
i didnt
What if we have just as much fun on a 35k boat?
i didnt spend that either
Old    oshensurfer            06-24-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
FWIW, Mine is paid for.

882001, your opinion on taking a 96 SN over a 2005 Centurion doesn't tell me anything. Why can't you just be proud of the work you did without downing someone elses boat? I don't get it. You sound like the CC dealers that I've spoken to.

I'm trying to make sense of what the pro's ride comment. They all get free boats for the most part. They ride behind what boat company is providing for the tourney, video, etc. The ones that don't get freebies, ride what they can afford. I'd ride whatever free boat was given to me too.

We all love to ride...and that's the true bottom line.
Old    chavezychavez            06-24-2004, 6:23 PM Reply   
No, instead you busted your a$$ and built one from the ground up. In fact, I happen to think you have the cleanest 2001 I have seen.

(Message edited by chavezychavez on June 24, 2004)
Old    live2wakeboard            06-25-2004, 10:13 AM Reply   
thank you for all of ur help }