Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (leetke)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-08-2008, 11:47 PM Reply   
In Charleston, SC
OK, literally learned how to get up on a wakeboard from this site with no one on board that had ever been...so props...started with a Hyperlite Motive 140 with Foundation bindings...upgraded to an 07 Hyperlite Premier 142 but kept the same bindings (ugh)...very end of summer put new Hyperlite Remixs (not the best but MUCH better) on the board. Also have an Eden 132 for the ladies :-) So now I feel like I have at least a decent setup for a 34 yr old 2 summer rider.

Got some tricks...jumps...wake 180...ollies...ollie 180s...and a good many slides and turns. End of summer was getting high enough to start going for grabs (4 feet on a good one)but the handle always ripped. Want to get these down so I can try to do some rolls or something else crazy to hurt myself.

So the question...why am I losing the handle? Am I letting it get too far away from me during the jump b/c I always seem to land with my arms fully out which I would guess would pose a problem landing one handed (no problems without the grab). If so, is it just something I have to train myself to do, to keep it close...or are there some tricks to keep in mind?

Also, I'm wakeboarding behind a 19' center console Sea Pro (decent, but obviously not the best wake). I am getting decent air for a big guy (6'0" 200lbs) just from reading this site and following the instructions...is there anything I can do to get higher on a smaller or a little sloppier wake besides adding stuff to get a bigger wake (it's a cruiser and fisher too).

Last question...I can do a good wake 180 toeside but can't get much air on a regular jump. Think it may just be my cut into the wake. What are the main issues I need to practice there? Seems like I automatically turn to the wake 180 when I leave the wake and don't get very high.

And yes, everyone told me it could be done...and a dude proved he could do a backroll off my wake with only two people in the boat last time we went out so now I'm feenin' to get bigger next spring!!!

- Lee
Old     (bullcrow)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-09-2008, 12:18 AM Reply   
As far as helping with the wake you might need to just shorten the rope. The closer you get to the boat the cleaner the wake is. And obviously its narrower so it will be easier to take everything you've already learned wake to wake.

As for popping the handle, make sure you take a nice wide approach at the wake, knees bent, shoulders back, and hold your edge all the way to the top of the wake. Here's where it gets confusing - as you ride up the wake you want to start standing taller as if you were standing up out of a chair so the force you push down with creates the straight up pop you'll get. The tricky part is never come off your edge. As you stand tall, keep edging. This straight up pop should create a little less tension allowing you to keep the handle closer. Also when you grab remember to pull your knees to your chest and the board up so your not reaching down so much, easier said bring the board to your hand, not your hand to the board.

As for the toeside jumps, commit, again start wide, edge all the way up the wake and find that pop. Just takes a whole lot more practice.

Hopefully that helps a little, if it makes any since. Good Luck!