Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-01-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
i just started wakeboarding about a month ago..i am HOOKED! but i have a setup that was handed to me, right now diva 128 with minx bindings..this is all i know. i want to get a board that i can grow into and was wondering why am i limited to the girls boards(or am i? i don't even know)...is there that much difference in guys and girls boards? if they are both 134's or 132's what are the major defining factors that seperate the two? excuse my ignorance.(trying to get educated)..but i want to invest in a board badly and stick with that board, but i really don't know the differences and are they really that big?
mahalos
tracy
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-01-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
no, you're not limited to girls boards. remember that "girls boards" are just "mens boards" with feminine graphics. some are made a bit smaller, but for the most part, the graphics is the only difference.
Old     (wakesheazy)      Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Irvine, California       12-01-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
I agree with Joe ^. You are NOT limited to girls' boards. Know that if you jump from a 128 to a 134 you're most likely going to feel quite a difference in the length regardless. Which it all takes time to adjust to, but length is a personal preference for each individual... Generally speaking the length is based off of you're height/weight. Another factor to consider is the fin setup. Overall, I don't know if you have the option to demo boards out there, but demo'ing reallllllllly helped me decide on my purchase.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-02-2006, 12:03 AM Reply   
wow so there is not much difference...as far as performance, definately good to know i am not too worried about the graphics...definately more selection in mens and i am more drawn to them...unfortunately the only way i get a 'demo' per say is if a gank a fellow riders board..not many willing to hand over their baby to a newbie. the fin configuration?? how much impact does this have? right now i am just getting used to handling a board period but my ultimate goal is to launch into the next stratosphere;o) i suck nails right now and probably am getting ready to try and bite off a bigger board than i can chew but...i figure i should get a board that i can grow into...alota people tell me to get a board to learn on then graduate...but i wonder is it a bad idea to get an 'adv' board now...i am willing to take the licks! any insight on this being good or a horribly bad idea?
mahalo for the given insight!!
Old     (wakesheazy)      Join Date: Nov 2006 Location: Irvine, California       12-02-2006, 11:25 AM Reply   
The fin configuration is SOMEWHAT similar to that of a surf board... for a wakeboard it's mostly based off of stability and edge. For example with my first board, I got a board with a bolt on center fin and SMALL molded side fins. (I'm a surfer gone 'boarder) What's the fin setup on the one you've been using? ...Again, it's allll based off of preference though. I know there's a website out there that taught me a great deal when I was on the market... but for the life of me I can't remember what it is! If I find it I'll send it to you-
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-03-2006, 4:26 AM Reply   
mahalo!!
i have the same as your 1st board...but have been using a guys board too, with 2 small wings on each end..it feels alot easier to release...maybe just me?! whats best to release off the wake?
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
I prefer a board with 2 molded fins and I dont put the screw on fin... its much more loose and i like it that way. About size it depends on your weight/height. I am 90 lbs and have a Cadence 131. I used to have State 125 which was still inside my weight range, but i think it was too small for me, it was easier for me to progress on a bigger one.
Old     (vdubb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-03-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
I switched to guys boards. My first board was a LF diva 134, then I bought a Hyperlite 3DS 139. I liked it when I demoed it, but with four big fins, it was difficult to get it to break suction off the water to do surface tricks. I ended up buying a LF Substance 138. It is basically the same board and the Cadence. I even decided to switch to guys bindings. I really like the LF Sphynx. Granted the graphics on girls boards are nice, but in the end its all about the best size that works for you and what you like in a board. I hate the graphics on my Substance, so I covered up the lady's face with stickers.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 1:59 AM Reply   
thank you guys!! this is all very enlightening! i am now definately leaning towards the guys boards because i guess through my research there are not a whole lotta women's boards that are built for that vertical popin action...the cadence...nnn i dunno any others that have met the substance..byerly..i guess i am lookin for extreme vertical pop...any input? as far as surface tricks...i am not too excited...ever since i got a little air time..that's pretty much where i want to be...so addicted!! any input? on vert popin boards?
Old     (mayor_h)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-07-2006, 7:24 AM Reply   
LF "Shane" 133, lots of pop ! :-)
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-07-2006, 7:48 AM Reply   
Im getting the LF Jett for next year, it is the same as the Witness (Benny G's board) but with girl graphics. It's supposed to have a lot of vertical pop and it looks so pretty
Old     (elmo)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
Also, girls boards are so much cooler! my first board was a guys LF but I just got a hyperlite blur (girls board) and it's much prettier!
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
yeah they do look good..but i just want to fly..and if that means i have to strap on a cafeteria tray to get the most pop (which i actually have...lol...long story) then you can bet i will...lol i love the looks but i want the performance...i am so thirsty for it!! what do you guys think about the cadence? women's board with an aggressive rocker? is it as aggressive as the men's?
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-07-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
I have the cadence and it's the same shape as the substance on one size and the nemesis on the other size, so yes, it is as agressive as the men's. In general girls boards are mens boards with other graphics, some are made with a thinner profile for girls, but most of the time, its the same thing. The Cadence does have lots of pop, you can check out Amber Wing ripping on it. Find a board that suits your riding style, it doesnt matter whether its a men or girl board. The Cadence is my current board and I love it, it's the board I've progressed the most on, everyone that has tried it loves it as well. But there will be no 07 model for it, so if you can get an 06, thats good. If not, the Substance is the same board.