Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Planning our half cross country trip for this summer. We are heading into Nebraska for a wedding and are towing the MaliBlue with the r.v. and want to hit as many lakes as possible! There are only a few constants. We leave California on 8-27-10 and have to be at the wedding on 9-5-10, probably should be there on the 4th for the rehersal dinner too! And we have to be back to Cali by 9-13-10. There are a few must have stops for the trip, lake powell, swing by Mount Rushmore, and we want to board down the mississippi by New Orleans. If you live in any of the states listed, CA, NV, ID, UT, WY, SD, CO, NE, KS, MO, OK, AR, LA, TX, NM, or AZ, where do you board? We want to try hitting up as many lakes as possible! Maybe even two or three a day. Kind of like our own little endless summer of wakeboarding. If your in any of the areas where coming through hit us up and come out on the 'Bu should be a fun trip! 18 days, 16 states, and as many lakes as possible! Wanna come with for part of the trip? Thats cool too! Right now its me and Gary "Invert" Perry!
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
We live in California. We usually ride at Lake Berryessa,Lake Don Pedro and The delta(orwood)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
if you plan to hit berryessa that time of year, EARLY morning, and late afternoon is your best bet. it can get bad mid day in september
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-15-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
For Colorado Horsetooth Res. is a must. Horsetooth is in the northern part of the state in Ft. Collins. If you're coming in through the southern part then Pueblo Lake is a nice spot in Pueblo. Other than those, the rest of our lakes are ponds and are like bathtubs most days.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
We live in Cali, the bay area and Orwood is our usual delta haunt. We have been to Orville, Trinity, Don Pedro, Lake Berryessa, Tulloch, New Melones, the delta, San Antonio, Naciemento, Anderson, Coyote, Calero, Lopez Lake, San Luis Reservoir. Looking for some place we haven't ridden here yet in CA that might be fun!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
i will be on my house boat out of bullfrog on the 4th of september.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Wow Horsetooth Res. looks tiny, and thats one of your big lakes? We'll have to add it to the list, we want to board in every state along the way! Isn't this by where the Heene's live? We'll have to keep our eyes open for low flying saucers with little boys inside! lol
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
We well be stopping by lake Powell but it looks like we'll be heading through there on the 1st or 2nd!
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Horsetooth Reservoir in Fort Collins, CO is pretty sick. Gets a little busy on the weekends, but weekdays can be butter. It's just west of Fort Collins tucked away in the mountains a bit. Hit me up if you swing through.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
So far lakes on the must stop tour are Horsetooth in CO, Lake of the Ozarks in MO, Lake Powell and Lake Mead, and boarding down the Mississippi, also got to stop at Havasu on the way home, Gary's never been!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-15-2010, 2:27 PM Reply   
Hit Glendo in Wy, CO really doesn't have any large lakes outside of the Blue, which is cold. the best lake close to Denver is Glendo.
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-15-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
I live in MO and if you wanna see a party go to the ozarks on the weekend and if you want to board go during a week day. Bull Shoals Lake in Arkansas is a must.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 3:51 PM Reply   
Where is the place to go on the ozarks? Where should we launch? We'd love to hit the party up but it'll probably be a monday when we roll through! However it should be Labor Day, not sure if you guys well still be partying? Bull Shoals is on the list for sure! Just added Glendo, great lake real close to the wedding! The wedding is in Alliance Nebraska so we should be able to hit up Glendo in the morning and then roll to the rehersal dinner that night! Sweet! Good find Chris!
Old     (bradlayinlow)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Living in AR we got Lake Norfork and Bull Shoals which these two lakes are about an hour away from each other.
Old     (Moseley618)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
I live in Nixa MO. Lake of the ozarks sucks if you want to wakeboard, unless you are on the Little Niangue arm. Way to rough! It is awesome if you want to party. If you want a nice calm lake to board on I would go to bull shoals Protem area. You will not see another boat for 30 min on regular weekend. Tablerock lake is the best of both worlds. I would put in at State Park Marina or Indian Point. Tablerock and bull shoals are 30 min apart at most so you could try both. Lake Ozark just 11/2 hours away also. Let me know if I can help!

Kevin
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
if you swing by the arizona utah boarder side of Lake Powell and want some peeps to ride with let me know. i live like 5 or less miles from powell
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-15-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Have you ever been to Lake Pillsbury, Ca ?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Jeremy, sounds like a plan.

Walt, haven't made it to Lake Pillsbury yet. Its on the to do list but probably not on this trip. Thinking about just hitting some lakes that are close to highway 80 on the way out and something close to highway 15 on the way home. We don't plan on spending to much time on CA lakes because the whole state is half a days drive or so from our house.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
I hope you're not serious about boarding the Mississippi around NO. If so, you have a serious death wish. People generally don't make it out of that river alive due to the crazy strong current and under toe. People seriously dive in that river to commit suicide.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Well we where planning on boarding on the Mississippi. This is the first I've heard of that? Maybe thats not such a good idea? We are planning to cruise through New Orleans to check everything out, where would you suggest boarding in the big easy so we can mark that state off as one we boarded through?
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-15-2010, 5:55 PM Reply   
Arkansas Lakes of Interest:

-Bull Shoals
-Ouchita (Not the best riding lake, but breathtaking)
-DeGray (HUGE wakeboarding community, VERY nice people, and not that bad even on weekends.
Old    alanp            03-15-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
i dont live in arizona any longer but if you are taking the 8 across then hit up lake martinez (colorado river)in yuma arizona. from interstate 8 you can be at the lake in 30 minutes or less. if you are there during the week you will have the entire lake/river to yourself except for a fisherman or two. if you do go shoot me an email there are just a couple things you need to know about the lake/river
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-15-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Another thing to think about it coming through Kansas City and hitting up the cable park.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 8:52 PM Reply   
We had planned on stopping at TSR in Texas, whats the parks name in Kansas City? That might be an interesting stop too! I've never ridden at a cable park we don't have any out here in California, yet!

Bull Shoals is on the list! I'll have to check out Ouchita and DeGray!
Old     (adambarry)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2010, 9:28 PM Reply   
If you're around up north, bullard's bar is a great one. Really cool lake. Rollins up on 80 isn't too bad either.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-16-2010, 6:20 AM Reply   
When you hit Glendo head to the northern most part and into the canyon, the best water is in and just beyond the canyon.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-16-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
Missouri- While I'll concede Bull Shoals is better for riding, its not as though in our 1000+ miles of shoreline here at Lake Ozark there isn't a quiet cove to be found!..if you wanted a healthy balance of ride/party at Lake Ozark, go to the state park where there is public boat launch, all natural shoreline, and only a couple miles from party cove. Because there is an extensive no wake area coming from the main section of the Lake to get to the state park, there is less boat traffic so you'll likely find good water. If you're not wanting to journey all the way to Bull Shoals but want some serious riding, Lake Pomme de Terre is a stone's throw from Lake Ozark.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-16-2010, 9:13 AM Reply   
You def don't want to wakeboard in the mississippi by New Orleans (unless you want to get run over by an oil tanker or barge). For good riding around New Orleans check out the Blind River. Go on a weekend and make a trip to the the Prop Stop on the Tickfaw river (you can get there from the Bind River). The prop stop is a bar that you can only get to by water and is one of a kind must see. You can get a map of the area here: http://www.riverratrob.com/2010%20Ri...Our%20maps.htm
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-16-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Sounds like a Blast!!! If you feel like heading to MN we will show you a good time afterall this is the Land of Ten Thousand Wakes!
Old    aXtion            03-16-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Arizona/ Phoenix - Hit up Lake Saguaro and Lake Roosevelt
Old     (tyler11boats)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
Oklahoma - Broken Bow Reservoir and the Beaver Bend State Park (located in far southeast corner of Oklahoma about 20 miles from Oklahoma/Arkansas border).
Old     (landowakettu)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-16-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
If you go anywhere near Post, TX. Lake Alan Henry is where most of the Lubbock area people ride. Its a great place, high canyon walls protect it from the wind most days and is nice and long for great passes. Glass most days unless the wind gets up to high or out of a certain direction. During the week its dead calm except for a few fisherman, the weekend is crowded but if you'll head up the lake, taking a right at the main boat launch you get some great spots tucked away from everyone else.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-16-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
Kansas

Most of the lakes here suck.Thats why I bought a lake house on Table Rock. I would just drive through. If you must, though Milford lake by Junction City is probably the nicest.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       03-16-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
I'd recommend Pomona as a decent Kansas Lake. Milford is the cleanest, though the layout often causes poor wind conditions.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-16-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
If you come to eastern NE, hit me up, alliance is waaaay out there, but if you're gonna be around Lincoln/Omaha I can help
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-16-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
If you're taking I-20 through Texas... We could show you the best spot you'd see throughout your entire trip... But you'll have to wear a blindfold while En route!
Old     (smithlsv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-16-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
Trinity River in Riverside Tx right outside of Hunstville Tx 2o min from I-45. There is a resort and rv spot on the river Bethycreekresort.com. Endless butter 40+ft deep, check out GCWA.com for pulls.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-16-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
Oklahoma-

I would highly recommend hitting up Tenkiller. It has some of the clearest water in Oklahoma and you can just about always find some good water to ride on, even on holidays. If you're wanting to hit up more than one lake in a day you could also hit up Eufala. It's only about an hour from Tenkiller and is one of the bigger, if not the biggest lake in Oklahoma.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2010, 12:07 AM Reply   
Well we spent all night finalizing the trip and its grown!
No longer is it 18 days, 16 states, and as many lakes as possible!
Its now 20 days, 26 states, and 30+ lakes!

We're now hitting up CA, NV, ID, UT, WY, SD, CO, NE, KS, MO, OK, AR, LA, TX, NM, AZ...plus!

MT, IA, MN, IL, KY, TN, GA, AL, FL, MS!

We"re calling our cross country tour!

26 States and 30+ Lakes ...For 2 Heavy Weights to Wakeboard in half the States!

I'll post our travel plans probably tommorrow night so you can see what lakes made the trip and when we'll be there! Hopefully we'll get to meet some fellow WakeWorlders from all over the United States!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-17-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
Are you bringing your usual crew? If so, I am going to follow you around!
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-17-2010, 7:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlwsrider View Post
Arkansas Lakes of Interest:

-Bull Shoals
-Ouchita (Not the best riding lake, but breathtaking)
-DeGray (HUGE wakeboarding community, VERY nice people, and not that bad even on weekends.
Def. Agree with Caleb, Bull Shoals and DeGray are great lakes.

But if I only had to pick one lake to see and ride in Arkansas it would be Ouchita. That really is a stunning lake and good riding spots can be found.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
We hit alot of great lakes per all your suggestions, however being as tight on time as this trip is going to be there are a few states where we just poke in and launch in the closest pond just to get a session in and say we boarded there!

Paul, I wish we could talk the regular crew into coming, however, 20 days on the road and we're not having much luck recruiting! We might get stuck breaking the law and boarding with no flagger in 26 states! lol We actually have a few people that are gonna fly in ride with us for a few days then fly out, but its hard finding somebody who can take 20 days off work!

I'm starting to feel like one of thoose old timers that drive the U.S. with those maps of all the states they've been too!
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       03-17-2010, 3:06 PM Reply   
Blake .... lol , Like it is some sort of big secret. Sounds like the Trinity and other spots around Texas have us beat for long ridable stretches anyway.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2010, 4:09 PM Reply   
Our schedule
27th Leave Gilroy begin our journey!

28th
Lake Mead -NV
29th
Lake Powell-UT
30th
Great Salt Lake -UT
American Falls Res. -ID
Snake River -ID
31st
Lima Res. -MT
(tour Yellowstone)
1st
Flaming Gorge Res. -WY
2nd
Horsetooth Res. -CO
Glendo Res. -WY
Lake Minatare -NB
3rd
wedding stuff
4th
wedding
5th
(Mount Rushmore)
Missouri River (Oacoma) -SD
Lake Ocheda -MN
6th
Perry Lake- KS
Lake of the Ozarks (partying it up Labor Day) -MO
7th
Lake of the Cherokees -OK
Table Rock Lake -MO
Bull Shoals -AR
8th
Lake of Egypt -IL
Twin Lakes -KY
Old Hickory Lake -TN
9th
Allatoona Lake -GA
Weiss Lake -AL
10th
Seminole Lake -FL
Big Lake -MS
11th
Lake Pontchartrain -LA
12th
TSR
Amistad Lake (half in Mexico) -TX
13th
Elephant Butte Res. -NM
14th
Lake Havasu -AZ
Pyramid Lake -CA
Arrive home!

How many states and wakeboarding stops is that? I can't seem to count to the same number twice! lol
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2010, 4:16 PM Reply   
I guess 29 bodies of water not counting TSR!

And we'll launch and ride in 25 states + Mexico!

So who's gonna meet us on the road!

Anybody planning on being at any of these lakes on the dates we're rolling through?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-17-2010, 4:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake_hughes View Post
If you're taking I-20 through Texas... We could show you the best spot you'd see throughout your entire trip... But you'll have to wear a blindfold while En route!
Blake I live an hour away from the Delta. You mean you have a spot better then the Delta?

We might just have to make a detour and check this spot out if its true! lol
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-18-2010, 6:29 AM Reply   
Just so you know there is not much to see on Lake Pontchartrain. It is a huge lake that is about 40 mile diameter circle and it can get very very rough (to the point you cant get a ski boat across it). Louisiana has some of the best spots to ride - protected waters that are always butter no matter what winds are doing. As I mentioned in my previous post I would check the blind river for great riding. Also the Atchafalaya basin swamp (site of Louisiana Spring Fling wakeboard event) has great riding and good sight seeing and is right off of I-10 (boat launch is actually right between the west bound and east bound lanes of (I-10). You will probably get to see some gators in both of these places, but dont worry they wont bother you. If you decide to change your itinerary let me know and I can give you directions to the best boat launches.
Old     (onthewatermo)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-18-2010, 6:44 AM Reply   
Missouri:
I'll gladly meet up with y'all for a sunrise set somewhere Labor Day weekend but will otherwise be pleasure boating, anchored in party cove or chilling here: http://www.lazygators.com/PhotoGallery.htm or here: http://www.captainronsatthelake.com/ ... send me a message closer to go time or if you have any questions in the meantime.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-18-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
Robert ~~ I see you have the Great Salt Lake on your list. You will have to scratch that one, that sucka has a higher salt content then the ocean. Looks like you will be coming from Powell so I'm guessing your taking I15 all the way through UT when tracking to ID. Coming into SLC your going to pass UT Lake... If you stop there I suggest to use the Provo Harbor towards the North East side of the lake. It's a shallow lake so stay well away from the edges unless you like 3' of water. The lake at max is 10' to 12' deep but we ride there all the time, heck the ice just broke and we will be there this Sunday. We have a lot deeper mountain lakes but your going to go about an hour of the 15 to get to them. Next I would suggest Willard Bay that is on your way to ID and about 1.5 hours north of SLC. This is also a shallow lake with max depths at 20 - 15' depending where you ride it. I would suggest using the northern Harbor that is right off I15.
Have a safe trip and if you would like a little more info let me know.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-18-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
Kevin- We well be coming through Louisiana on the I-10, we just picked Lake Pontchartrain because it looked like it was close to the freeway. Our goal is to wakeboard in every state we go through. The Atchafalaya basin swamp sounds like it's the way to go. Close to the freeway, sounds like you can't get closer! lol What town is it in? I think we'll need to change our schedule to reflect stopping there instead of Pontchartrain. Thanks for the heads up!

You guys know your backyards better then we do, if you see a lake or something that just doesn't make since please let us know! Thanks
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-18-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Andy- We won't be arrivving at Lake of the Ozarks tell noon on Labor Day. We're going to do a morning set at Perry Lake where we're camping for the night then hit the road and try arriving at Lake of the Ozarks asround noon. We realize Lake of the Ozarks is going to be a party stop, and hopefully we'll see you partying in the cove there! From what we understand the Party Cove is right by the Lake of the Ozarks State Park? Is there a particular place we launch from? Marina name or road name we should be looking for?

We'll definatly remind everyone before we leave where we'll be and when so hopefully we can meet a bunch of you on the road!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-18-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
Josh- We knew the Great Salt Lake had a high concentration of salt but we we're going to do just a quick 1 hour morning session? Is it that bad to ride out there? It looks like Willard Bay is connected to the Great Salt Lake? Is it? I take it from the way your talking Willard Bay is fresh water then? Might have to change or schedule a little bit there too! Thanks for looking out!

Utah lake is right there off the freeway too! I guess we'll have to see how tired we get and that'll determine if we stop at Utah Lake or go all the way to Willard Bay!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       03-18-2010, 10:28 AM Reply   
Robert ~~ Ya scratch the GSL off your list! Between UT Lake and Willard right off the freeway their your best bet to get a quick session in. Using the Provo Harbor your about 10 - 15 min off the freeway. Using willard your less than 2 min off the freeway. Speaking of Willard, from what I know and have tasted (LOL) it's fresh water. Also depending on the day you have the walls to protect you from that W word. Both lakes are pretty open and can get real bad with rollers but it's early in the season, not much people get out yet. Your gong to get more fishing boats at willard than UT Lake, but UT is a lot dirtier. Heck if you make it to UT Lake I might be able to get a quick set in with ya but I can't make the drive to Willard during the week.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-18-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Robert, the Atchafalaya swamp (also know as Henderson) boat launch is off I-10 exit 121 - basically just take exit 121 and follow the signs inbetween the 2 bridges. The closest big city is Lafayette which is 20 miles west of the swamp. You can also launch at McGees landing and get a swamp tour from them. PM me your email and I will send you a map of where to ride in the swamp. I live in TX now, but you should be able to get some locals to show you around if you post at www.louisianawakeboarding.com.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-19-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
Hey, on the 5th when you are at mount rushmore you should hit up Pactola or Sheridan in the Black Hills instead of Oacoma. That place would most likely be blown out by the time you get there. I have never boarded in that area, but fished and it is prone to high winds out on the prairie.

The lakes in the hills are beautiful if not large and the water is clear (cool too)

It has been a long time since I have been there in the summer on a boat, but i don't think there are any hp restrictions, but they are a hell of a lot prettier than oacoma and it is a hop, skip and a jump from Rushmore.

Last edited by sodaksooner; 03-19-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-19-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
Nice thing about that time of the year is the sun is up at 530 am and you can hit rushmore early before it really even opens, then get a quick morning set in and be on your way to m. That is about an 8 hour drive between those spots. Oacoma is immediately right on the interstate, so you could still drop off for a set at lunchtime on the way if it isn't blown out. You go right over it.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-19-2010, 10:06 PM Reply   
Robert,
Like Josh said, don't do the Great Salt Lake. No motorized boats go on it. I've been told that the salt content is more concentrated then the Dead Sea (no joke). IMO, not worth taking the chance even if you flush your motor really well and soap wash your boat from top to bottom.

Anyways, Willard is my home lake and is fresh water, even though it's near the GSL. At that time of the year, Willard will have better wind protection because of the surrounding walls and won't be as crowded during the week since school is back in session. It's also deeper then Utah lake (will be 12 feet at the shallowest and 15-18ft at the deepest). Bad thing about Willard is the bugs, but it just depends on the day.

For Utah Lake at that time of the year, lake won't be as crowded. But it's a big, wide open lake with barely any protection from the wind. Water depths will be anywhere from 6-8ft at that time of the year. Your best bet is to ride mid week.

Have a safe road trip!
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2010, 10:12 PM Reply   
I suggest that you do Lake Mead and Lake Havasu last. That way you won't spread zebra and quagga mussels to the rest of the lakes.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-20-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Count me in, If i can be off Ill see Ya on Grand Lake... (Lake of the Cheerokees)
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2010, 10:32 AM Reply   
That schedule's ambitious to say the least. Given the parts I know best, I wonder, is it really doable? or worth it?

Grand Lake, Table Rock and Bull Shoals all in one day ?!?! Whew. And that's the morning after the party day on Lake of the Ozarks, and the day before heading east to three more lakes in IL, KY and TN? How many minutes you spending on each lake?
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Flaming gorge, glendo and horsetooth in the same day is a little ambitious. You're talking 8-9 hours of drive time to hit all three. On top of that you won't really get to enjoy glendo and flaming gorge. Fg is huge and glendo fair sized. Horsetooth is small, so you could do half a day there. Glendo and fg each need a day at least, not counting driving. Not even going to go into how much you miss at Powell with anything less than a couple days.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Correction, I guess flaming gorge has it's own day, but you still would want at least half a day at glendo, so I'd do only haorse tooth and it together. Still about 8-9 hours from flaming gorge, down through ft.collins, then back up to glendo.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I am a fan of the plan. I admire it. I love it! It's great!!!

I ... I ... I am jealous?

For sure it'll need to take money. It'll need to take youth ... and endurance ... and (that most precious commodity) ... time.

So you want to whip through New Orleans for Lake Pontchartrain not only w/o taking locals advice where else to go but also not stopping to hit the French Quarter (or otherwise sightsee)?

(Note that, I don’t recognize all the places you listed but I have always wanted to boat on Elephant’s Butte. I wonder why I never read a post about anybody wakeboarding there. It seems to me about in the class of Lake Powell. But it’s two different lakes isn’t it? I mean, there’s the lower part below the narrows and then an upper part? And isn’t boating from one part to the other through the narrows supposed to be wondrous?)

I doubt anybody could do that one day you have listed from a start at LOTO to Grand-Table Rock-Bull Shoals. I live in the geographic center of all 4 of those lakes and know 3 of them well (having been on Grand just twice). All are worth it. But I doubt even a motorcycle club that just wanted to dine on the shores of each lake would adopt such an ambitious plan.

I’ve seen ‘Endless Summer.’ All of us wish we could have taken such an adventure.

Go all the way. Make it a summer. Film it. Capitalize on the film or some other way to slow your trip down and extend it over a doable pace. I’d personally consider (modestly) helping finance the adventure ... for advertising space as a sponsor.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-21-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
I will put my two cents in for Alabama.. I have never been to Weiss Lake but I have been to Lewis Smith lake which is beautiful.. 3rd cleanest lake in the US...check it out...
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-22-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
I agree with Chris it would be a very long day to try to make it to FG,Glendo and horsetooth res. all in one day its a 2 1/2 hr drive from glendo to ft collins so you might be able to do those two lakes in a day but even that would be a very long day. Good luck with th trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun. If you need help with anything while you are in CO let me know I live about 5min from horstooth res.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-22-2010, 5:48 PM Reply   
If you are coming through Kansas I would recommend KCwatersports. Its our cable in Kansas City. Actually its south of Kansas City about 20 minutes. Pretty easy to find. Its on 169 highway. Its probably the best riding you'll get here.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-23-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Been away from the computer we did a little minnie trip this weekend and just goofed off!

Had to practice for the big trip! We went boarding at Naci, hit Pismo beach for some wheeling, went to the Fantasy Factory in LA, and hit the Tonight Show! Not bad for three days and got out of the taping for the Tonight Show at 6pm and made it back to the Bay Area by 11:30 to watch ourselves on t.v. all with no speeding tickets!

We understand how ambitous our trip is. Its allot of lake in not allot of time. There are some days where we have 12 hours of driving! Allot of the lakes we are spending just 2hours a set each and some lakes we are spending the whole day. Lake Mead is off the list because of the Zebra Mussel issue, we don't want to spread those guys around but Lake Powel is still on the list because we haven't heard anything bad about there. So that should give us a little bit more time on the way to the wedding.

We have been fortunate enough to get one corporate sponsor a stereo company and we are working on another corporate sponsor (energy drink company) when everything is finalized we'll post the links to the website and to the blogs we'll have up for the trip. We plan on filming the whole trip and making a video. It'll be a free video, kind of a roadtrip meets jackass wakeboarding since we are anything but pro riders and just a couple of overweight fun loving guys that enjoy wakeboarding!

Look for us on the road and hopefully allot of you guys can meet us at the lake for quick sessions! You won't be able to miss us we're wrapping the motorhome and the back of the boat!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-23-2010, 11:40 PM Reply   
A little footage from our weekend adventure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L6HQu8ilG8
Old     (sunsport22)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 9:36 PM Reply   
Im extremely jealous this has got to be expensive?
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-25-2010, 5:00 AM Reply   
A little FYI about Utah.... After ya hit Lake Powell, Don't hit the "The Great SALT Lake" cause it's pretty much nothing but that! lol And NOT the kind of salt water that looks like the ocean... All that's on it is Sail Boats. Instead Hit up Utah Lake or Willard Bay which would be on your way up to the Snake River in ID, But Hit up Bear Lake which is on the ID/UT border! Bear Lake is one of the best lakes around IMO. But, def stay away from The Great Salt Lake. You'll See it on a drive by.

Last edited by A7X_LSV_23; 03-25-2010 at 5:01 AM. Reason: ...
Old     (schmidt18)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-25-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
You can always get a decent set in at KCwatersports. I haven't been on Perry Lake in years, but I think I may try to swing up there and meet you guys on Labor Day. I live in central Kansas, we go to a small lake called Kanopolis during the week, I'm about 40 minutes from water there, and it's pretty calm during the week. We go to Milford and Wilson on bigger weekends, both nice lakes as well.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-27-2010, 12:39 AM Reply   
Michael the trip is going to be expensive however we've gotten a few sponsors and we're always trying to find more and if it doesn't happen thats what Credit Cards are for! lol

Jason we're hitting Utah Lake and Willard Bay, Great Salt Lake has been 86'd from the trip as has Lake Mead. Thanks for the heads up on Bear Lake but it looks like we'll miss it this trip.

Derek, we roll through Kansas Labor Day and we really want to get to Lake of the Ozarks or else we would stop. We plan on hitting TSR though on the way through Texas so that'll be our first experiance riding a Cable Park. Come meet us at Perry Lake that would be great!

We want to meet as many people as possible on our trip whether its on the water or at the campsite, we're even getting shirts made for the trip and we'll be handing them out to everybody that joins us for a set on the trip! So come take a ride behind the MaliBlue score a shirt, plus I think we might have some cool free swag to hand out too! Nothing for sure just yet but we've been talking to a couple companies.

We made a website about our adventure, nothing on it right now thats to terribly interesting except for people who want to advertise on the side of the motorhome however once the trip starts we'll be twittering and blogging updates from the road so everybody can join us.

Our finalized Itenerary is also up on our website. http://www.26states30lakes.com/Itinerary.html