Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (rico80)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-21-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
I submitted the poll question the other day:

11/18/2008 - What most influences your purchase of a wakeboard?

Price - 6.55%
Looks (graphics, color, etc.) - 5.04%
Shape/features - 56.42%
Brand name - 6.05%
Rider endorsement - 3.53%
Recommendations from sales staff - 4.53%
Recommendations from friends - 10.83%
Other - 7.05%

397 Total Votes

Like you'd expect the majority bought based on the shape and the features, but for someone like me there really is no way to demo a board and see what features you like or dislike. The nearest boardshop I know of is probably an hr to 1 1/2 hrs away and I don't think they even let you demo.

So for most people answering this question, do you have the opportunity to demo a board before purchase and do you demo a bunch before making a decision? If not how do you decide; research online, talking to friends, the marketing of the board, etc.

There is a new thread every other day about what board,binding, vest I should get and everyone always throws out their preference but my real question is WHY? What draws you to that board?

Personally I started out on a CWB board someone gave me, I was happy with it so I went back to CWB and then again the next year. I won a HL Byerly in 05 but it was a little big for me, then the Obrien Natural in 07 which I really liked, but then last year I ended up back on a CWB Absolute mostly because of a great deal.

Basically every year is almost a crap shoot for me picking one, even though I've been riding for a while. I stick with features I like but that is more about comfort with what I know.
Just wondering what helps other people decide or how I could gauge what would suit me best without the opportunity to try them.

(Message edited by rico80 on November 21, 2008)
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-21-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
I think about the features I like on the board I'm riding and try to pick a board that claims to improve those features, while minimizing the ones I don't.

Ex: I was on the 06-07 HL Premier. I liked the rocker and resulting pop, but I thought the thing was a bus in the water (slow) and big landings were pretty brutal. I looked for a new board that had a similar rocker line, but was faster and had a V shaped tip and tail for softer landings. The Ronix One fit the description and I must say I've been very happy with it. Pic the things you like about the board you're on and look for similar boards with improvements in areas of interest to you.

I wouldn't recommend drastic changes, just gradually stepping up from what you're on now.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-21-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
I just bought a new set of 08 Zeus bindings and 08 Absolute 141. I have been riding CWB for a year and was in a similar boat having a 04 Byerly and not caring for it too much. The bindings on that board were awesome though. 04 Zeus. Ive ridden a couple other boards (not many) but stuck with CWB because they are really good boards and they hold up well.
Just my $.02 though.. :-)
Just got a Non cga vest so we will see how it works out next season..
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-21-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
I am in the "Other" group. For me its all about O'brien it Runs in my blood! They have been helping me out with this wakeboard thing since 2001, first people to believe that kids from Minnesota can wakeboard! As for the actual model of O'brien board that I ride, I guess I am truly lucky in the sense that I get to discuss my board options with the Lead Designer for all the O'brien boards and the O'brien Pro Team riders. Cant get any more honest opinions than that! I have been with O'brien long enough and built deep enough relationships that Chris Johnson, lead Designer/engineer, knows what I look for in a board and how I want it to ride so he just sends me decks tbat he thinks I will like. I feel truly blessed to be given such a great opportunity to ride for O'brien and represent them around the globe!

That may sound like an O'brien plug but I was just sharing my respect, love, and appreciation for what I am granted.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-21-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
You may not be able to demo but I know my crew always shares boards. Whenever someone gets a new deck everyone gives it a set or two. It's about building up a base of knowledge. You get to a certain point in your riding that you can feel features working. Once you know what you like you will begin to focus on boards that have those designs and notice subtle differences from fin length/depth, channel placement & rocker lines. When I look for a new deck I look at what i would change from my current deck and look for a board that does that. Lately, I take into account how my knees are feeling.