Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Snowboarding

Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-01-2010, 6:19 AM Reply   
So Im thinking about getting my first helmet, havnt decided on which one, so im still open to suggestions. Ive been looking at the Red Hi-Fi just cause Ive heard good things about it. What are my audio options? (I guess i dont know how much room is inside the helmet) I see that the Redphones and DJ headset Redphones supposedly fit seamlessly to the helmet...is the sound quality decent?

I know some people on here arent a fan of Skullcandy (which my FMJs have always sounded pretty good to me) but I saw Smith's Audio is made by Skullcandy so I dont know if they sound better than the Redphones. I just dont wanna roll with earbuds anymore unless i can find some that stay in after i eat most headphones fit under the helmets? or is it just better to go with the integrated ones?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-01-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
Better to go with integrated tunes.

My friend has the Red with Audio, which has a mute button on the outside of the earpad, best feature you can have! He is very happy with it, and I think it looks good.

I have the Giro with Skullcandy Tuneups and have never had a problem, other than not being able to mute it. Volume control on the cord is a good feature with mine too.

You'll never not want to wear a helmet again, and wonder why you weren't before.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-01-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
After trying the Giro and Smith, and having problems with both, I made my own.

I wear a RED helmet and took a pair of Sony headphones I had and inserted the speaker into the ear pad of the helmet. I routed the cord between the helmet shell and the foam so the cord comes out in the back left. I run the cord over my shoulder, under my armpit and into my mp3 pocket in my jacket.

I know it may sound ghetto, but this is the 2nd helmet I've done this way and it works pretty well for a fraction of the cost.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-01-2010, 10:16 AM Reply   
Smith Holt w/ SingleShot (skullcandy) only way to go...
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       02-02-2010, 6:43 AM Reply   
How do the SkullCandys sound in the Smith and Giro?

So long as its not as bad as like apples earbud quality, i think ill be switching to in helmet audio, which im stoaked about.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2010, 6:51 AM Reply   
I don't think it sounds bad.....

You have speakers next to your ears, it works pretty well
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-02-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
dont forget ab bern. their muts are sic
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-02-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Never ridden a Giro, but my fiance did, she like her Holt better.... cord also has volume & mute controls....

earbuds can be bad if you fall on the side of you head (or smash your shoulder into your ear).... think where that ear bud goes.....
Old     (cwfletch)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-07-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
I wear the Protec Mercenary and upgraded to the 2010 Plantronics audio ears, they are sweeet! The volume is a roller on the right ear and the left ear has a mute button. The cord also locks into the ear piece so it doesnt pull out. Just throw on the ipod and you can adjust on the fly with gloves on.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-07-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
I just saw a Smith in person for the first time... really nice helmet