Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-10-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
Two part question here...first, does anyone here have experience with a company called Carolina Carports? I'm thinking of purchasing one of their carport structures to put on the side of my house, wondering if anybody has experience or feedback on their products. here's a pic of what we're looking to put on the side (though mine won't be open-ended in the back, and will only be 12 feet wide, much less wide than the one pictured). These look to be a lot more sturdy and attractive than the Costco ones I see all over the place:

Second, and really more important question...for those of you who have put this type of structure on the side of your house, have you had to deal at all with the city or county as far as receiving permits? I called my county office (we're in an unincorporated part of town), and this is what they told me; we can have it as close as 3 feet to the fence to our neighbors yard as long as it is a "temporary" structure, otherwise we need 10 feet. They wouldn't give me an official description of a "temporary" structure other than to say that it can't be secured to the ground, which makes sense. So finally, here's my question...if I order one of these, have it installed on the side of my house, and use some of my 25lb lead bricks (usually used for ballast in the boat) to hold the structure in place, would that be considered a "temporary" structure? I'd hate to go through this whole process only to be told that I need to tear it down...

Any thoughts/help/guidance is appreciated. Thanks!
Old    chris_hargis            09-10-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
Actually I trhink you could even use anchors in the ground as long as they can be removed. A permanent structure would be cemented into the ground with footings and the works. If you get some anchors and sink them into the ground without cement, then they can be removed at leisure and therefore not be permanent. I think that would work better than using lead bricks.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-10-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
I live in the city of Chattanooga, TN. I had a similar structure installed on an existing concrete pad that the previous owner had poured for storing an RV. The city required a building permit and 5 ft line clearance. It attached to the house it required 10 ft clearance. I think all cities and counties are going to have slight differences in their code. Permit cost me $75.

Old    chris_hargis            09-11-2005, 7:44 PM Reply   
When I built my workshop in Alabama, I had to get a permit, but it was about $25. I also had to get one when I put up a garden shed (not permanent). Here in Oklahoma, I didn't get one for the metal storage shed I put up, but had to get one for the pool that is being installed. SOme places don't require them for temp buildings, but you need to check on that.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2005, 8:49 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. From what they told me on the phone, as long as it's a "temporary" structure, i don't need a permit. So, i guess I'll go with that for now...