Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    starx3            06-02-2005, 10:33 PM Reply   
I just had 4 6x9's put in my boat and the radio shuts off when i turn it up. I know that it is overdrawing so i want to add an amp. Do i need to have 2 bateries or will 1 work. If i can use 1 how long can i play the radio with the engine off and still start
thanks
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2005, 5:49 AM Reply   
just for safety sake, put in extra battery. you wont have to worry if youre going to kill youre engine battery and get stranded
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-03-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
if you only have one amp youll most likely get a couple hours before the amp starts shutting down but like paul said, get the extra battery even if its not connected and a set of jumper cables just for safety
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-03-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
if you add a 2nd battery isolate it with a relay or perko switch. Then you can play down the battery until its dead and still have a fresh one to start with
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-03-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
how big is the amp? How big is the alt.? one amp powering 4 6x9's should not be cutting off when you turn it up????? How old is your current battery? what voltage are you seeing at idle?
Old    starx3            06-07-2005, 8:54 PM Reply   
the amp is a 250 x 4 but the amp is not cutting off the radio was when the speakers were hooked up to the headunit. the battery is new. I don't know what alt i have but its probably the stock on a 87 tristar w/351. I know that a lot of messages on a second battery but would i have to run another set of bat cables. any suggestions for an isolator. thanks
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-08-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
A Perko swithc will isolate your two batts but its not foolproof. You have to manually switch it between the 2 batts or both. A Stinger relay #sr80 or sr200 will do the same as the Perko but is completely automatic. When the ignition is off it will isolate your starting battery and run off the auxillary battery only. http://www.stingerelectronics.com/sting_products/power_accessories.asp