Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-27-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
I've heard of some people tearing their ACL and still finishing out the season. Just wondering if anyone on here has done that. Recently tore mine last weekend. Looking to get a custom CTI pro sport. Just looking for some advice.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-27-2010, 9:02 PM Reply   
Nobody?
Old     (idrumyay)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-27-2010, 10:54 PM Reply   
definitely not advised...your ligament is there for a reason...to hold stuff together. The more you stress that area, the greater the risk of developing even more injuries (meniscus tear, PCL/MCL/LCL tears, etc.). People can definitely be mobile with ACL tears, their knee is just a lot looser. But that is not to say you should be stressing it too much. Get the surgery if you plan on being active.
Old     (agf80)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-28-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Not a good idea! I tore my acl and menicus end of june, got it checked out, got a cti and the docs ok to ride. Knee was feeling awesome, so I decided to go out and take a set 2 weeks ago. I took it easy for the first few hits and it felt really solid threw a tantrum nothin, threw another landed tail heavy and snap. Went back in got another mri and x ray. Luckily I didn't tear anymore ligaments but when it popped out the bone smashed together and I fractured the outside edge of my tibial plate. Now I have to stay off it for 6 weeks before I can have surgery because with the amout of bone bruising they didn't think the screws would hold for the acl. Then stay off it for another 6 for the menicus to heal. Trust me its not worth it. The pain is way worse the seond time around.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-28-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
Alright I guess I'm convinced not to try... Can't blame me for hoping..
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-29-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
Definitely not worth it. Get the surgery and rehab for next season. You dont wanna be missing out all next year because you felt like you needed to ride this season. It sucks alot but you come back stronger and ultimately a better rider the next season.
Old    mojo            08-29-2010, 8:51 PM Reply   
no rehab=no longevity. it sucks but do it.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-29-2010, 8:58 PM Reply   
i did it rode for 6 months with it completly torn with some crappy knee brace online... i didnt actually know it was torn untill i later injured my shoulder and had my knee checked, i found out my acl actually dissolved from just sitting there useless for so long.... had orthoscopic surgery, replaced my acl with a peice of my patella, now im stronger than ever. i deffinately reccomend waiting till the end of the season the pains werent that bad when i re tweaked my knee, just buy a good knee brace and you will be fine
Old     (whitlecj)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-30-2010, 6:28 AM Reply   
It really depends on the extent of your tear. I tore my ACL 4 seasons ago, have not had surgery, and still ride regularly. My ACL did not tear completely and my knee remained stable in all of the surgeons testing. I have a citi brace and where that everytime I ride. Knock on wood, it has not held me back and feels fine. But from what my doctors have said, my tear is very unique. Best of luck to you either way.
Old     (craigk)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-30-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
I've torn my ACL in the same knee twice, this was playing soccer, not wakeboarding though. I had surgery the first time and did a patella graft. The knee was feeling great, rehab went perfect, and I worked my ass off to get it back in shape. About 2 years later I tore it again playing soccer, I had stop wearing my brace because the knee felt perfect again.

It's been about 10 months since I tore it the second time and I don't plan on getting surgery this time around. I completely tore my ACL and MCL this time. The MCL healed up but took about 6 weeks. During that time I exercised (stretch, leg lifts, quads, elliptical, treadmill) 5 times a week. I kept this up for 4 months. Now my knee feels completely normal again. I do have to wear my CTI brace any time I'm going to be doing any kind of sport, but it doesn't bother me at all. I still work it out a couple times a week to keep my legs in shape but nothing as intense as before.

I'm not all pro or anything, I can just do w2w and do 180s, and ride switch fine, but that's about it, been riding just over a year now. I find that wakeboarding is easier on my knees than soccer ever was.

I'm 28, if I was younger I might get the surgery done again, but my life's too busy now to go through months and months of strong rehab everyday.

If this is the first time you've torn it, I'd say take it easier, just do excercises for a month or two, then see how you feel and then get the surgery. It's actually better if you wait a while after it's torn and strengthen up the rest of your leg before the surgery, it will make rehab a little easier.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       08-30-2010, 8:35 AM Reply   
I just blew my second ACL last week (other knee) and I cannot fathom how anybody could consider riding with torn ligaments. Of course when I tear mine there is always something else screwed up as well. This time ..... No ACL, torn meniscus, severe PCL and MCL strain.
Old     (gdavid)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-31-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
I wouldn't ride on it. I tore mine when i was 14 or 15 while snow skiing and went really easy on it until the surgery. That was 15 years ago and I haven't had any problems with it since. I feel that maximizing time for inflamation to subside and letting the knee heal it self improved the success of the operation. I think they kept an eye to make sure it didn't get too much scar tissue in the mean time.

Looking back now I can barely remember the amount of time between the injury and surgery, I believe it was relatively short (~1 month) but no it seems like the blink of an eye. I wouldn't trade a couple of months of riding for having the best odds for the best possible long term recovery.
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-31-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
I do it every time I ride, Partial ACL and full PCL in my left knee. Just worked really hard rehabbing and wear a decent brace, not even a High $$ one. I am not crazy and basically just a w2w rider(heelside and toeside...finally ) so I don't put a bunch of stress on it, but it can be done. If you do some research, back in the "old" days, there are cases where even pro football players played their entire career with blown acl's (and no surgery). I am not advocating not having it, it was just a personal choice for me. My brother destroyed both acl's in high school and torn meniscus. he just had them cleaned up a bit arthroscopically and is still ok into his 40's. His son just blew his (14 years old) playing soccer and did have the surgery. Rehabbing just fine. MY brother has a good friend that is an orthopedic surgeon, and he said they recommend not having it done if you are a casual athelete. I.e. not at professional or collegiate level skillwise, but he also doesn't deal with wakeboarders either.

Like most have said, it is a personal choice. At a minumum you need to get into a good PT administered rebab program. That helped me immensely, if nothing else, I no longer have any significant pain.