Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       07-06-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
Im tired of ripping off calluses on my hands. What gloves are good to wear?
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-06-2012, 7:48 AM Reply   
are you riding behind a boat? If so what kind of handle are you currently/most often using? I found that if i ride with a chamois handle like the one in this pic i have attached, i almost always rip calluses off but with other handls (depending on the type) this doesnt happen very often. It seems to me that the chamois or any really soft handle tends to attach more to your hands when they are soft and water logged leading to more ripped calluses. Most people on here are going to advise you against gloves purely for style reasons, but what ever keeps you out on the water longer is what i would do. You may also want to look up some water skier forums (seriously) because they have been coming up with clever ways to prevent and deal with calluses for much longer than we have.
Attached Images

Last edited by devildog_ra; 07-06-2012 at 7:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-06-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
^^^true...duct tape is ur friend. Right now with our water temps in the high 80s, its a must for all the skiers
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-06-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
With a good handle as mentioned I don't know why you would ever need gloves.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-06-2012, 9:09 AM Reply   
The last pair I bought was Radar Theory on eBay. I wear gloves all the time on the cable.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-06-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
I only wear gloves when its below 40 degrees outside.

On a SIDE NOTE remeber how muck those old tractor handle thrashed hands??? If your using one of those you need a new handle asap.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-06-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Just the ones God gave me.

If you don't want to rip calluses, get a pumice stone or large nail file, and file your calluses flat so they can't bunch up and tear off. Then you can wakeboard like a man, without mittens.
Old     (WssLife)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-07-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
can't stand gloves just shave those calluses down so they don't rip
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2012, 6:38 PM Reply   
I have been wakeboarding longer than some on the forum have been alive. I had skiing roots and always wore gloves. I decided to get a different handle this year a LF titan I think. The handle is nice, but I still wear gloves. You gotta do wut ya gotta do to ride the way you are comfy, man.

BTW, they style police can suck it Yeah, I still wear gloves while wakeboarding.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-08-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
I don't know any gloves for wake. Do you know? Any brands or pros suggestions? BTW you can use ski gloves, spine protector, jump ski helmet, full jump ski suit and even

Just use proper handle that matched for you IMO

Last edited by alexair; 07-08-2012 at 6:52 AM.
Old     (the_fish)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-08-2012, 6:41 PM Reply   

2012 Accurate Franchise $60.00
Buy this handle, it's a great price, wont come apart like chamois handles, is soft. Ive tried every handle out there from chamois, foam, hydratak and amoeba and this one kills all of them. It has a teardrop shape to fit your palm as well.
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-09-2012, 7:21 AM Reply   
I like riding smooth EVA handles. I think that chamois handles with stitches and EVA handles with ridges and knobs have a much greater tendency to rip your hands open. I have been riding an Accurate Podium for the past few seasons and I have not had an issue with calluses tearing. And I have a lot of calluses on my hands from playing golf and softball year round. Two weeks ago I was riding my friends Proline chamois handle and it tore my hand wide open on a hard fall.
Old     (Boost_GSXR)      Join Date: May 2012       07-16-2012, 7:52 PM Reply   
i switched handles and my hands are starting to heal up finally. thanks for the info!!
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-17-2012, 12:46 AM Reply   
What did you switch to?
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-17-2012, 5:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_GSXR View Post
i switched handles and my hands are starting to heal up finally. thanks for the info!!
good news!
Old     (shredthagnar)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-17-2012, 6:04 AM Reply   
Next time. Dont rip the callus off. Build it up and it won't matter what handle u grab