Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                11-06-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Hi all
I finally tried a W2W HS FS 360 this weekend, two attempts, both hurt pretty badly, but *really stoked* cos it wasn't as bad as I expected haha and they're definitely do-able, and hopefully I'll land one in a week or two.

I've searched the site on 360s so no need to tell me to pop pull pass :-)

Just need to get out there and try again, but would it be easier to learn them one wake first (or even inside out?)? Seems there should be more than enough time to spin small 360s esp if people can ollie 360. Or should I go big so I have more time to pass (and subsequently risk erm more-entertaining-for-the-boat crashes) ?

Incidentally, have HS TS FS 180s and the half cabs, was working on the BS 180s but gave up coz my ankles don't like toeside landings :-( hence, going for the 360.

Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-07-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
Ive been working on switch heel 3's. Havnt ridden out of one W2W at full speed, but have landed a few doing a "slow set" = No weight in the boat, boat speed @19-20. One wake-outside in. OR W2W with a shorter line than you normally ride.
Doing this helps because it gets rid of the line tension which makes learning the handle pass easier, and the crashes hurt WAY less. A friend introduced me to this method, and I love it for learning new spins.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       11-07-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
the way i first learned them was you drive a d-up then then throw a 3 off one of the rollers...then after you get that feeling just take it to the wake..
Old    alanp            11-07-2005, 6:25 PM Reply   
by far learning them one wake and slow the board down to about 15/16 mphs and take the weight out of the boat this will clean up the wake. i learned quiet a few spins that way. i probably did about 500 spins over the winter at this speed and during the spring i started speeding up the boat and then adding weight and finally wake to wake.
Old                11-11-2005, 4:27 AM Reply   
360 off the roller, 360 1 wake, then shorten your line down to 55ft and learn it 2 wakes. all of this can be done with a slower speed like around 18mph or whatever is comfortable so you dont get hurt as easily.
Old                11-13-2005, 6:59 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the tips y'all!
Tried a five or six one wake 360s this weekend, slowed the boat down, came really close twice - passed the handle and landed facing the right way but it got yanked out of my hand :-(
On the last attempt I managed to land with my back to the boat, and caught an edge and landed on my back, feet didn't come out of bindings so pulled a thigh muscle grrrr I'm getting too old for this sport
But will get that 360 soon :-)

Old     (brick)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-29-2005, 8:07 AM Reply   
Another thing that helps is practicing your handle position on your fs 180s. Edge in with the handle close to your waist and turn the 180 with both hands on the handle while trying to keep the handle in close. This will build muscle memory to help set you up for the handle pass.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-29-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
Any opinion on which 3 is easiest to learn first--HS FS or TS FS? I can do HS/TS 180's about equally and am getting up the nerve to try a 360.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-29-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
The general rule of thought is that HS 3's are easier to land (2nd half of the trick) but TS 3's are easier to initiate (1st half of the trick).

I can do TS 3's but can't do HS 3's. I think they are really easy TS. As long as you keep the rope in tight and wait to spin until you've left the wake, then the trick will pretty much throw itself. The hardest thing on TS 3's is stopping your rotation. Most people want to spin too far and face the boat, but that will cause you to slip out on your behind.

Give both a shot and see what is more comfortable...then work on that one.