Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
This comes from a little more reputable source than some fat guy in his mothers basement surrounded by pizza boxes writing on his blog...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...601774892.html
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2010, 6:42 AM Reply   
I don't see a ton of people migrating to Verizon when/if they do get the iPhone. Everyone already has jumped on the AT&T bandwagon for the iPhone and IMO, the reason why AT&T is such a success right now is partly to do with the iPhone. However, it does provide people other avenues other than AT&T.

On another note, it definitely will be interesting to see if Verizon is ready for this. Verizon has been saying this for a long time that their network can handle the increase in traffic that comes with the iPhone.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
I hope it happens... I came VERY close to jumping ship for an iPhone, but my previous experience with AT&T was so bad I just couldn't do it.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabell View Post
I don't see a ton of people migrating to Verizon when/if they do get the iPhone. Everyone already has jumped on the AT&T bandwagon for the iPhone and IMO, the reason why AT&T is such a success right now is partly to do with the iPhone. However, it does provide people other avenues other than AT&T.

On another note, it definitely will be interesting to see if Verizon is ready for this. Verizon has been saying this for a long time that their network can handle the increase in traffic that comes with the iPhone.
I would be that AT&T loses close to half of it's iPhone users within 3 years.

It is a network issue. You are going to go with and keep whoever has the best network in the area in which you live and travel the most.

IMO this is very different that like directv vs dishnet. To me, customer service is a non factor in my decision as it would be in the DTV area since the quality is identical. It is all about coverage here.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/v...ta-devices-fi/

An iPhone on Verizon's LTE about this time next year would be unreal. To have speed like that and tethering.... WE'll see but you can bet that if apple is moving in that direction, it is because that have LTE in their sights.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
I know multiple people waiting for this to happen. Verizon also has better Business contracts, so I would assume businesses are waiting as well.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Wasn't about May/June 2008 when the 3G iPhone came out? That puts a lot of people at the end of their 2yr contact with ATnT in a few months. If I can get an 3GS for her and Win7 Phone for me on Verizon, I'd be completely happy. Friggin hate ATnT.
Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-30-2010, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabell View Post

I would go over to Verizon INSTANTLY!!!!!

AT&T network sucks!!!!!! I have full bars and still drop calls, poor voice quality..etc.

Im in a good coverage area and have to use my phone outside while standing on one leg with a tin foil hat.

Had a smartphone with Verizon and left when my plan expired for the iphone. Should have just bought an itouch. Now im seriously contemplating canceling the phone and use a VOIP app for all my calls.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-30-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
By buddy just got the HTC HD2 on T-mobile and immediately sold his iphone. The HTC has a 1 gHz processor that is much faster than the iphone. If Verizon (the carrier I use) gets the iPhone I hope that it is an improved version of the iphone.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-30-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
I would go over to Verizon INSTANTLY!!!!!
Agreed, if the V version works at our lake house, i will pay the early cancel fee with AT&T to get away from them.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
There is going to be a huge amount of different options out ther this year.

Phones that are announce/possible:

HTC Evo 4G (Sprint) - OS Android
iPhone HD (AT&T)
HTC HD2 (T-Mobile) Windows Mobile 6.5
Dell Aero (AT&T) - OS Android
Samsung Galaxy S (all carriers) - OS Android
Nexus One (Verizon & Sprint) - OS Android
Palm Pre Plus (AT&T) - webOS 1.4
Windows Phone 7 (out near X'mas but no specific models are specified yet)

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6452_7-...CarouselArea.0
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-30-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Damn I just got my new phone and a new contract on Verizon.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-31-2010, 5:54 AM Reply   
I'm actually looking to switch from Verizon to ATT this fall when my contract is up. Verizon has zero service at the lake and other places we frequent, ATT picks up beautifully.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-31-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
I dont think it will be that significant, overall. Verizon has no idea what a resource hog the iphone community is on a network. AT&T has had the iphone for a while and have been dumping tons of money into network expansion and STILL cannot keep up. AT&T's 2010 expansion will be double what it was in 2009 and STILL will not meet demand. You think a first year offering will be any good?

Verizon will not hit the major business world because of its lack of true international capability. Yes, there are about 40 cities outside the US that have a makeshift partnership that allows for limited voice use and even more limited data use with specific international phone models.

It seems you can join a network whose load is about to exponentially increase, or one who has experience with whats coming and is spending like crazy to make it work.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
J, you really don't think that Verizon has been watching AT&T's network issues with the iPhone all along?

Additionally you are talking about only a subset of the users that are causing AT&T all of the issues.

Quote:
Verizon will not hit the major business world because of its lack of true international capability.
Agreed... globally, CDMA is like riding a horse to work.

Quote:
It seems you can join a network whose load is about to exponentially increase, or one who has experience with whats coming and is spending like crazy to make it work.
I still say that the major factor is network coverage. Those who have great coverage and reception with AT&T will stay. those who don't will bolt.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       03-31-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zo1 View Post

I still say that the major factor is network coverage. Those who have great coverage and reception with AT&T will stay. those who don't will bolt.
I think this is dead on. The people that are going to switch are the ones that are currently unhappy with some aspect of ATTs service. The ones with great coverage in their locations are going to stay put.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-31-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
AT&T is front running it by dumping $2B into fixing coverage holes in the major complaint areas, esp NYC and several west coast cities. Also in that bundle is tower upgrades to resolve the 3G dropped call issues.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-31-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
Manzo, sure I think they are watching, but do you really think AT&T is disclosing real world numbers to its competitors? AT&T has endless funding, the biggest network, and a 3+ year headstart and THEY cant even meet the demand. For Verizon, it will be a sales boom but a backend nightmare.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
The other factor is volume... I would say that Verizon maxes out at 50% of AT&T's current volume of users and AT&T's service gets better when this happens because of the drop in volume from people bailing.

It really all could be a non-issue if they go straight LTE for the V phones and have a modest roll-out to coincide with Verizons LTE rollout. That seems more likely than a CDMA phone simply for the reason you stated above about international usage.
Old    sperbet            03-31-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Last I heard it sounded like it would be at least a year. I've been looking at the Droid, as Verizon has the best service in my area and I swore off AT&T for crappy customer service over a year ago. The Droid is pretty kick ass, just waiting for them to have a good promotion then I'm going for it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Its like $99 bux now, so what are you waiting for.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
Or, buy one get one free also.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-31-2010, 4:24 PM Reply   
About 80% of my friends who are buying new phones are getting android phones these days, with 10% getting iphones and 10% getting blackberries.

not just the droid either, although I still couldn't be happier with mine.
Old    sperbet            03-31-2010, 4:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Its like $99 bux now, so what are you waiting for.
I think it's $199 and it's buy one get one free. I only need one so that promotion doesn't do much for me. I'd take one for $100 though, thats basically what im waiting for
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-01-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
The longer you wait, the closer it comes to being obsolete. I cant talk though, I am still using the phone that comes in it's own bag that you plug into the cigarette lighter for power.