Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
Hi Just wanting to know what is the best weighting config for an X2???
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
search it! it all depends on what your looking for. A popular set up: "1000-1200 lbs in the back, I had stock center ballast 400, and then 550 in the bow." Add a few leadheadz in the nose and some in the middle to "clean it up," a few riders and it will hurt you!
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2004, 5:54 PM Reply   
Yeah did a search couldn't find anything
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
Search X-Star too
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2004, 6:41 PM Reply   
Do I have to do everything for you?

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/81427.html

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/65834.html

We have a Bails room available for the weekends of 22nd of May & 5th of June.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2004, 7:44 PM Reply   
Cheers dude.. ok I admit I was a bit slack I only did the search on "weighting"

Yeah 22nd could be the go I see what I can T' up with Paul and Tony
still want to check the X2 again (as you can probably figure from this post) cause I can get the black one which is sex on a stick
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2004, 8:05 PM Reply   
read the posts sounds like a lot of farking about
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-10-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
Thats good because your not allowed to buy a boat better looking than mine.

I'm sure we could customise the ballast system to get the weight you want hidden and automatic. Take the rear tanks out and put 500 bags in. The locker sack looked like a pencil, we could get at least 600 pounds in there with a custom sac and then add the rest with lead.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-10-2004, 9:23 PM Reply   
Dammmmmn that boat looks fine
you make a good arguement there master definitely worth another test run with it weighted like that then I reckon

Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2004, 11:18 PM Reply   
I'm picking up my X2 on Wednesday, and have been wondering the same thing on the weight. I remember reading a post by Travis Moye a long time ago about how he weights the X2/star, but I couldn't find it in the archives. I emailed him and this is the response I got:

"...use the stock ballast, about 600lbs in the nose, and 1 side sack on each side of the engine. you don't want to overweight the back. if you have alot of people in it, you can get away with just stock in the back..."

I've been asking around and this seems to be the standard setup.

We are going to plumb in one 300lb sac on each side of the motor, and two skinny sacs under the bow cushions. We won't be able to get 600 under there, so we'll have to do the rest with lead.

I'm picking up two 300s and one 600 when I get the boat, and we should be taking it out wednesday or thursday. I'll report back on how it works.

Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-11-2004, 6:13 AM Reply   
I pulled the two hard tanks and replaced them with 550# sacs which are completely full most of the time, stock center KGB tank, a 600# turned sideways in the bow and another 135# of lead in the nose.

I have not had one complaint about the wake in 2 years.
Old     (powdrhound)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-11-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
Joe What else did you consider before going with the X2??

Zack do you have any pics of the wake??
Old    wakelvr            05-13-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
CBrown and Joe,

Travis gave me the same set up. We put the majority of our weight in the front. We used to put all our weight in the back and decided to try Travis' set up and like it much better. In addition to the stock ballasts, we put 600 lbs of lead in the boat, distributed in the cabin and bow, and then another 400 lbs up front. This works really well. We use a little weight in the back in addition to stock, I think like 100 on each side of the engine.

We are really happy with our set up and get compliments on it all the time.

By the way, the lead in the cabin is essential. It is also helpful so you can distribute weight as needed in the boat to keep the wake clean. So instead of having to move persons, you move the lead.

Old    djo_djo            06-09-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
in a few weeks we will have our x-2,
how will the wake be if i add one fat sac (about 600 lbs) to the front and just the kgb system ?
my mother also likes to ski behind it, so when will we get the best wake for skiing ? I also thing that the nose rises too much, will it be better with the fat sac in the front ? i hope anyone can help me !
greetz,
joris
Old    stereor102            06-09-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
hom many people do you plan to have in the boat that is what makes a diff.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-09-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
I've managed to put 45 hours on my X2 since I picked it up 3 weeks ago, about 30 of those hours with 1300lbs of extra sacks.

We are using the stock ballast, plus one 350lb sack on each side of the motor, and one 600lb on the floor all the way at the front of the bow walkthrough. Usually a full tank of gas, and 3-5 people in the boat. We could probably use a little more weight in the front, but it's pretty good right now.

The wake is BIG and solid. It's very clean at 23.2mph and 80 feet (I only ride 70' though).

If you're only going to run the one big sac, don't put it all the way at the front of the bow walkway. Try to keep it more in the middle of the boat. We tried this once and it still worked pretty well.

Old    djo_djo            06-10-2004, 3:45 AM Reply   
most of the times there's only the driver + one person in the boat and the tank about half full, what is the best, one fat sac in the front or notging except the kgb ?
thx
Old     (baja)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-10-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Two 40lb lead sacks in the nose and two custom made sacks under the bow cushions, approximately 130 lb each.

Three coated flat steel weights under the port dash compartment pushed up into the custom made sack in the bow and the same set up on the other side in front of the drivers feet behind my sub partition (accessible from under the bow cushion behind the custom made sack)

Two 40lb lead sacks behind the driver seat, which usually stay there but have to be moved around the cabin from time to time. Also, depending on other items such as extra batteries, stereo equipment, coolers, speaker set-ups… you may have to balance the cabin weight a little more.

Four 40lb lead sacks in the engine compartment tucked behind the stock tanks. Same on the other side.

I used to run more in the back but could not tell much of a difference, at least not enough to warrant the extra gas consumption, plus I prefer to be pulled at 1-2 mph slower than most of our crew, so just remember the more you sack it down in the back the faster you will have to be pulled, of course you could always drain the tanks. Like most X2 owners will tell you, the weight up front is the most important. Once you establish that you can adjust the back to your liking.

Dave
Old    swass            06-10-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
Rack him!

Old    wakelvr            06-11-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
Bobo is right on;-)

Weight in the back of the X2/star is highly over rated IMO. Try without it, or without an excessive amount. We were shocked when we tried it. It was like going against everything we have ever been told (all weight in the back).

But be sure to put weight in the front and cabin. You will be amazed;-)

Good luck!

Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-12-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
Where do you buy lead? How much is average price? Thanks