Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (SkySki)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-13-2012, 11:05 AM Reply   
I just bought a new boat (MB F21) and my wife and I would like to try wakesurfing. I have ridden everything from a skurf board, wakeboard, single ski, wakeskate to my current Sky Ski. I have not tried wakesurfing yet. I am 5'6 and 165 pounds. My wife is 5'2 and I would be killed if I posted anywhere what her weight is. Let's just go with much lighter than myself. She has only ridden a wakeboard and really only gets pulled around like a single ski. I am looking for a board that is less than $399.99. I would like something that we can use for this season so we can learn on it, but would like to progress over time. I thought I had a board picked out (Liquid Force Fish), but also like the CWB Ride, CWB Razr and the CWB Blackjack. I really am just throwing darts trying to pick something out. I do like the boards that are tougher than the normal surfboards. I think they would last in my surfboard rack better and last longer. Next season, after I ride for a while, I can make a more informed decision. I tried searching all of the forums on here and there was some good information, but I don't think I really found the answers I am looking for. As for my riding goals this year, I would like to be able to ride the wave with minimal effort. Maybe later this summer I would try a 360 (sorry, I don't know the lingo yet). I have thought that I should get a board with the front fin and three fins in the back. Thanks for any help.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-13-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
Your best bet would be to find a used Inland Surfer board. Looking at the brands shown above I tried the Fish board and did not like it all. I have riden the CWB boards and they are ok. With your heights I would be looking for the shortest one of the bunch.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-13-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
I would try to find an Inland Surfer Squirt. You can ride it skim or surf style. Once you decide which style you like and skills progress, you can upgrade to a better board and use the Squirt as a general boat board.

http://inlandsurfer.com/boards/squirt.htm
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-13-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
the squirt is a great starter board.... i loved mine... someone else did too so they stole it...
Old     (tmill)      Join Date: May 2011       02-13-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Take a look at the triple X nitro it is at the very top of your price range but will definatly be a board that you can grow into. If you have any questions feel free to get ahold of me on a PM. The tripleX board is a surfboard style so it is some what fragile but when you buy from them they hook you up with a free board sock to protect the board from you rack and the sun.
go to
triplexsurfandskim.com
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-14-2012, 11:13 AM Reply   
My buddy has a squirt and it's fairly tough and I like it.
I'm 6'4 200
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-14-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
As mentioned about the Squirt, that is a great introductory board! It's priced right, fits in a typical wakeboard rack, go either from surf feel to skim feel with changing/adding fins. You won't go wrong with it. You can always go up from there with it

You can find 'em for around low $300's (I've found them for that before)
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-15-2012, 7:01 AM Reply   
I have many boards and looking back at the process I have definite opinions and would do things differently if were starting over. Anyway, I would buy for my self and family a XXX board. This is coming from someone who does not own one. This is based on feedback I have seen and read regarding these boards along with price. There are not many boards that are from a surf/skim company that fall in your price range. The Squirt, as mentioned before, retails for 450. Inland surfer makes a good product. XXX makes both surf and skim style and that is another decision you need to make.

My first board was a Hyperlite Landlock and it still serves as my teaching/beginning board 6 years later. It is durable, stable and easy to learn on and teach someone. The downfall is that you will grow out of it quickly because it is slow and not extremely responsive, but if you can get get a board similar to this for cheap it is not a bad idea to have.
Old     (Rad_Matty_D)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-17-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
The CWB Benz ($479) on their site is an awesome board. It's a new board for 2012 with a sandwich construction.

It's fast.

I've ridden every other CWB and most Ronix surf boards--each one has their pros and cons. The ride is slow but durable, the Blackjack & Razr are loose and fragile.

Benz=best surfer I've ridden to date.

Last edited by Rad_Matty_D; 02-17-2012 at 9:27 AM.