Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 10:59 AM Reply   
What is everyone's thoughts on Epic Boats?
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-05-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
Here we go
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-05-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I think they look pretty ugly to be honest. I can't say much about the wake cuz i have never riden behind one or even seen it in use. Can't really knock it till you try it, but looks alone don't do it for me...
Old     (jason_b)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-05-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
I like the transom stereo idea. I've never been on the water in one but the idea seems like a winner.

Aesthetics of the boat are not my favorite. Build quality of the one I saw seemed to be on par with the competition.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-05-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
i was in one when it was at a trailer shop having a trailer made. there are some things that i would change on them to make it a better built boat. i don't like the looks of them much. if they changed the nose of them it would probably help a lot. i haven't driven or rode behind one but a good friend of mine has. they said got up on plane very well with ballast full but was a very loud boat. almost couldn't even talk to the person next to you. they had also said the back end of the boat seemed to want to pull around while the boarder was edging in and out. thats all i've heard on it but can't give my own opinion on it yet.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
The gas crunch could kill them.

If I was trying to enter this market now, I would focus on LOW COST and HIGH FUEL efficiency. Something like a $40K CC 2001 in a vdrive with an efficient motor/tranny and wake production system.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-05-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
AWESOME!
Their wake is amazing.... best I've ever been on.

Upload
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
I have beer and popcorn! ready for this thread.

GO!
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Well I own one... I bought 2 of them for my wakeboard school. So I was just curious what everyone's opinions. But I love the boat personally... Everything you said with how loud it is... and there are some things I would change. But to be honest with every boat there is something you can change... My family has a Mastercraft X-45 and the boat is AMAZING! But there is still some issues with it... Personally I love the look of the boat and I like the nose... everyone could see a Epic and know what it is. They are working on how load the boat... they are working with a company to design a new exhaust system.. and of course this is what they said to me... But the wake is amazing and we fly off it! I am really happy with the boat... they are a small company and they have some kinks to work out but it will all get taken care of the better they get in the industry.
Old     (nwsjake10)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-05-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
Dude, that boat is sick. I'm not a HUGE fan of the Epic boat, boat the one pictured above is a great looking boat.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Ya that boat is nice. Did you do the wrap yourself or did Epic do it? I am looking to get a Wrap for my boat because of the school... didn't know if i should just do the sticker
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-05-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Justin, you bought two unproven, untested wakeboard boats for your ski school...ballsy to say the least IMO.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-05-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
what do you mean untested? or unproven?
Old     (jboard1)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-05-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
my guess is he means you bought two boats not knowing the performance or efficiency of the boat...
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-05-2008, 1:51 PM Reply   
I like boats that look like they should be on a ride at Disneyworld. It makes me feel good about spending 60k+ on a luxury boat that isn't proven, has no track record and has many other alternatives that are well known.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2008, 1:55 PM Reply   
ummmm
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-05-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
just because you don't have the balls to take a risk, don't knock someone who does.
I'll use a word that is REAL popular on this board. HATERS.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-05-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
every boat purchase is a risk. Do a search for MCs, Bu's, CC's, etc etc... you'll find every manufacturer has made a few lemons. It happens.

What if no one ever bought the first boats from the other brands? Someone has to be the first to buy an MC, CC, Bu, Tige, et al. TexasMC, would you say the first buyer of the first ever CC was making a poor decision too?

(Message edited by wakereviews on June 05, 2008)
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-05-2008, 2:25 PM Reply   
did i just get sucked into an Epic thread? damn!
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       06-05-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
This is getting good. But I need another beer. Be right back!
Old     (texasmasterc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-05-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
There is a large difference that you all are overlooking. The big 3 started their companies to fill a niche not join an already saturated and mature market and expecting to pull the same price tag. MC did it with the Ski Boats and CC did it with Run-A-bouts.

No I don't see them as making a poor decision because the boats that sold were filling a new market that no one has addresses at the time, the cost was right, and the one's that sold fit the need.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-05-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
nevermind. I am not going to get into this. I'll stay back and enjoy my popcorn instead.

(Message edited by ttrigo on June 05, 2008)
Old     (hyperlink)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-05-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
sidekicknick, That boat is F-In ***! Love the woodgrain!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-05-2008, 3:29 PM Reply   
train, want some?

Upload
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-05-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
pass it on over Umali!
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-05-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I will agree very entertaining.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-05-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
Love these.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on June 05, 2008)
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-05-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
If you love the woodgrain wrap on the outside of that boat you should see the inside flooring it has.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-05-2008, 6:49 PM Reply   
I saw a couple of them on the water at Bullards bar. I thought the looked good and the quality of them seemed top noch.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-05-2008, 10:55 PM Reply   
Justin... I had one for my wakeboard school for one summer... The wake was very intimidating for young or beginner riders. And for some advanced riders... it was a bit of an adjustment getting used to the wake... and patience edging all the way up the wake... very different shape from other big wake boats... but all in all... it was a good.

RadGalz also had an Epic for a summer.

As for other comments (both good and critical) from my own insider personal experience... those have been well documented... and not very well taken... so best not to share.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
Sam(wake1823)We drove out to Epic and rode with them on there lake. And I rode them in a comp last year and went huge off it. That is what first got me interested in the boat. Then after riding it in cali... it was a done deal.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 5:41 AM Reply   
HeHateMe (hamkj)... thank you for the comment. I have already had a little trouble with the wake... i cant get the usual pop! But I am getting it, just takes sometime getting use to. But I have been very happy with the boat... we made a demo video yesterday and the boat looks so good on the water.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-06-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Hey Justin... the way Chris designed the hull... he was shooting for a VLX shaped wake... without the big trough as your approach... if I remember him describing it to me correctly...

So the end product was a wake that was big and meaty... and as you approach... you don't drop down and then ride up the wake...

You just cut out wide... and you can take a patient progressive edge all the way up the wake... then pop off...

Its not as wide of a wake as some would think with a 23 foot boat...

I didn't have any riders who didn't like the wake... the riders who helped build the boat... loved it...

But now that they arent building them any more... they are pretty excited about the Liquid Ride wake...

I would like to see a 20-21 foot Epic with a more conventional nose.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
ok that makes sense... i will try that! But from what I heard they are making a 21ft boat! Its suppose to be pretty amazing. So we all should be excited
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-06-2008, 10:49 AM Reply   
For a school, remember that beginners/intermediate riders aren't always ready to step up to a pro-level wake - so don't be afraid to run 1/2 or less ballast for people - and remember you can do a lot with the trim tab also. If you don't fill any ballast and put the trim tab down, the wake is easily managable - plus it is narrower, which helps when learning wake to wake jumps. When people want to step up to the plate and boot off the big wake, just fill it on up.
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
Ya we have taught a few kids already and that is exactly what we did. They loved the wake... we just have a good time and that is what the school is all about. We also had are local pro rider there and he helped alot. the kids are excited and everyone did fine. But when we got out there I landed all my tricks its just i know i can go bigger(because of the wake) so i know i just need to get use to it.
Old     (matt_ostmeyer)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-06-2008, 2:36 PM Reply   
Big wakes are easy to be lazy on - there is a longer transition (than on a small wake) to hold your edge through. You can still get "good enough" pop from a big wake even if you flatten out early --- But to really boot, you have to discipline yourself to set a progressive approach and hold it to the very top of the wake - once you get the timing right to hold an edge all the way through, then you can get more aggressive and hold a harder edge all the way through. Watch the pros who go huge - Harris, Lyman, Shapiro - they progressively build their edge harder and harder to the very top of the wake - and boot they go! The Epic has the wake to boot off of for sure - just hold a good hard edge all the way up.

(Message edited by matt ostmeyer on June 06, 2008)
Old     (adrenalindustries)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2008, 6:13 PM Reply   
Sweet man! thanks for the advice! We are taking it out tomorrow morning so I will put all that info to use
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-08-2008, 5:58 PM Reply   
That wood grain wrap is the business. I like the look of Epics to be honest, and I wouldn't mind owning one, or a Supra... or a Nautique...

So what if they have a big motor? So does almost any other big boat. Who seriously bought their wakeboat without knowing it was gonna burn through a decent amount of gas? It's a luxury, not a Honda Jazz.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-08-2008, 9:03 PM Reply   
I dig'em. Never seen or ridden behind one but I really like the clean look of the ones I've seen in pics. And I'd take the blunt nose over the pickle fork any day. That's not an MC bash either. I like the pickle fork too. Just not as much.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-09-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Function > Form.

The snub nose gives the boat the same running surface of a larger hull. I think its a great idea, and wonderfully simplistic, even if it is a bit unsightly.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-09-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
did someone say companywake?

haha I couldn't resist I had to see both in one post!