Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
So I've landed a few, even managed to try a few scarecrows and land them but I'm very hit and miss, I need advice on the cut as well as what i should be doign with my hands and chin...
thanks
B
http://www.wakepics.com/img/8683
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2003, 10:52 PM Reply   
wow brennan - nice! you're doing really well for such a small wake.

your problem is that you're holding on with two hands for too long. it's starting to turn you to revert, thus when you land with your weight going forward (as you should), you're not able to stay up. i think you want to take that back hand off sooner.

but you've already beaten the most common problem on the front rolls which is opening up too soon and under-rotating. nice going!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-26-2003, 10:54 PM Reply   
just looked at it again at full-speed. the other thing you might want to try is getting a bit more pop - tho i think you're doing well given the wake size. but maybe think about going up a bit more - you're rotating low and fast, which is going to make stopping that rotation tough.
Old                08-26-2003, 11:00 PM Reply   
It looks like you are initiating the flip to early. make sure you ride all the way up the wake, bend your knees more on the approach, so you can really pop off the wake. Right now your knees are to straight, so you don't get any pop out of them. After you ride all the way up the wake, you want to take the flip up before taking it out. If you do all this, you should have more time in the air to spot the horizon/shoreline reorientate yourself, and land edging away from the boat. Good luck
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-27-2003, 3:33 AM Reply   
Looks good!
i was having the same trouble and found two things helped me. as for the pop off the wake you may want to have your hips up more and not crouched over the board, resulting in better pop and stronger position. What stopped me having the board go to revert was to stare at my back foot as i went up which helped alot on landing, helping you to ski to the shore and not to the boat. I was getting beaten up on a small wake and find it hit and miss and went on to scarecrows which i find more natural.

Nice one though and hope you stick it brennan
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Andrew, by looking at your back foot do u mean once you hit the wake and are movign off you look at your rear leg during rotation, or at least in that direction >?

Brennan
btw thanks for the help guys... that boat was a Nautique sport 210 with some ballast so the wake wasn't that bad..
Old                08-27-2003, 12:00 PM Reply   
By reading all these responses I am afraid you will over think it...yes you could and you will take it bigger by standing taller at the wake and waiting, but the main problem you have here isn't approach it's your body positioning...
3 tips...and you're there
1. simply keep the majority of the load in your lead arm,throughout the approach and in the air
2.Keep handle down and in front of your lead hip.
3. Coming out of the trick, don't look so much toward the boat, look more toward the shoreline.

Looking at your video, you have everything done well enough to ride out of this consistantly except for your handle positioning which seems to be the root of your problem.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-27-2003, 12:21 PM Reply   
Just focus on handle position and facing more away from the boat when you initiate the trick. If you frame by frame it from when you leave the wake, you are actually doing more of an elephant than a ts frontroll. Try to not look at/square up to the boat at all.
Old     (afrodeziak)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
Should i be letting go of my rear hand once I have hit the wake and started to flip ? kind of liek a tantrum ?

I read to keep both hands on until you are almost all the way around but it would make sense to let go, cuz if i hang on with both ill end up getting pulled square to the boat

If anyoen has video fo a ts front roll that I could watch I'd appreciate it
Brennan

(Message edited by Afrodeziak on August 27, 2003)
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       08-27-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
I would wait till you are in the air a little more then let go. Just don't let your back hand pull the handle to the inside of your leading hip
Old                08-27-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Sean's right...you can hold on to it as long as you want... as long as the handle is in front of your lead hip and the load is in your lead hand.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2003, 2:43 AM Reply   
Brennan As you get inverted with two hands on. I found looking at my back foot helped get the weight over the rail and going towards the shore on landing, logically because you look at your back foot when coming around you are pushing your lead shoulder away from the boat, trust me worth a go! I got that tip from a pro english rider. I know what you mean about hit and miss but on the front rolls and crows you must come in with your hips up! i go behind a 98 ski nautique! with weight in it. the wake is pretty grim so the teqnique has to be spot on. i find going in on a roll is how you come out.

Looking at it again, looks like you hold on with the two hands quite a long time. your handle is a little high, try to look at your back foot as as i said and i think your handle will end up in a better position. I can see by the list lots of advice but i know for myself if the wake is small it happens very fast! Get your hips up more when coming in, look at your back foot and you'll stick it.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2003, 2:45 AM Reply   
Incidentally waht works for one does not work for the other.

If you look at all the pro riders and instructional videos they all say pretty much the same thing but if you whatch the rider carefully the all throw them their own way.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-05-2003, 6:59 AM Reply   
Sean and Andrew have it right on. You are holding on to the handle too long and dropping your shoulder causing you to turn a crow. Also, Stand a little taller at the wake.

Check this out maybe it will help:

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=3367

Andrew you just need to weight that boat correctly! I learned 70 percent of my tricks behind a 96 ski nautique and an 89 2001. They produce better wakes than some modern wake boats!
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-05-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   

The 98 nautique for some reason is a little mushy. it was ok on the 96 ski nautique we had and for some reason the two were different. i contacted ski nautique but they said they were the same so possibly they come out the moulds a little different. as for the 2001 89 these are the best old boats and have a nice crisp wake and i wish the club had one!
going to check out the link now, laters
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-09-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
hey brian,

i noticed in your vid that you seem to be pulling the handle in too (the rope goes slack). is something you conciously do? i don't do that and although you commented on my front roll attempts that i just need to stay in the tuck longer, i feel like my rotation is really slow.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-09-2003, 6:36 PM Reply   
I don't so it consciously so I don't know what to tell you! Not sure if all of mine are like that.