Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
I'm pretty new to the sport I just start last July and only got a few months worth of riding in before it became to cold. I have a 18' I/O sits very low in the water and doesn't have a very deep hull. I'm looking to outfit my boat with the best wakeboard set up for around $700. My boats wake is terrible and it doesn't have a pole or a tower just the back hook. What should I buy to get the best results for that amount of money? And I will buy used gear so if anyone has anything let me know!!! Here is a picture of the wake at about 19mph with the rope way to long.Upload
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2007, 2:33 PM Reply   
No reason to spend that kind of money if you're just getting into the sport. Look for something used, for example (if you lived in SD):
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/spo/304008525.html

-Steve
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2007, 2:38 PM Reply   
Sorry if I wasn't clear but I'm wanting to put $700 into the boat, not a new board.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
Try a pole or a tower first. If you wanted to spend about $300 more you should get a monster tower. I know someone that has one and it is great for the price. Very sturdy and looks good on ski boats. A tower or a pole is be the best thing thats help your progression as a beginner.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
Haha, sorry, I guess I read it wrong. When I see "set-up" I immediately think board/bindings. I'd say go with a tower/pylon first. A little bit of ballast would be my next suggestion, but ballast can be very cheap depending on how you do it. Tower's arent cheap, but there are a couple really well made ones in the $1000 range (monster, big air, etc...)

Keep in mind, your boat will never have a world class wakeboarding wake. You can still have a blast on it though, most of us started out behind I/Os.

-Steve
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Yea as soon as I posted "Set up" I knew people would think that...o-well. I've seen poles by Big Air(7') that are around $310 shipped, that seemed like a good price. What are the differences from a tower to a pole when riding? How much weight would it take to improve my wake...and where would I put the weight?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-03-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   

quote:

What are the differences from a tower to a pole when riding?

None.

quote:

How much weight would it take to improve my wake

Trial and error. It's hard to say because there isn't much experience weighting your exact boat. You won't want to add too much because your hull was not designed to create a large wake, so simply adding tons of weight won't continually improve things.

quote:

...and where would I put the weight

Again, trial and error. Rule of thumb 60/40 split between back/front.

-Steve
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2007, 3:09 PM Reply   
A pole is in the center of the boat where the tower is not in the way which will give you more room in the boat. With the tower you can get board racks which will also give you more room in the boat, i am not sure if any of the cheaper towers come with board racks though. But they both serve the same purpose.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2007, 3:12 PM Reply   
What about my prop could the prop make a difference in wake? Mine is a real beat up aluminum one. Not sure of the pitch or anything else.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Not really but if you ever put ballast in you boat it will help you come out of hole faster and stronger.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-03-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
How do I get the water in and out? Is there a pump that pumps it both in and out? Sorry for all the questions....I'm self tought and I don't know anyone that wakeboards besides me so I'm just learning everything on my own.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-03-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
i would say 1 600lbs fat sac right in the middle up against the engine compartment and you will see a HUGE difference.. we ran a 19ft I/O for a while and got a sack and the wake was bigger than normal.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-03-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
I would spend some of the $700 on a non-stretch rope, that will help you progress.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-03-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
Also, you may want to speed the boat up a little to clean up the wake and make it less wide.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 5:17 AM Reply   
I have a "wakeboard rope" I don't know if that means its non-stretch...but it is a wakeboarding rope not just a ski rope. With a sac do you have to fill them up all the way or can you just add the amount of water that is needed? Like if one ends up being to big can you just fill it partially up so it will fit?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 6:25 AM Reply   
And as far as a pump for a sac, I'm looking around and they seem pretty expensive. Is there any other kind of pump I could use?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-04-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   

quote:

With a sac do you have to fill them up all the way

You can fill it to any amount you want.

quote:

Is there any other kind of pump I could use?

IMO, it's worth spend ing a little more for a high quality FAST pump. (faster/more reliable pumps translate to more riding)

-Steve
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 10:34 AM Reply   
What is a good pump that you would recommend?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
What about a used tower? Anyone know where to find one or how much one would be?
Old     (pnichols)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-04-2007, 1:08 PM Reply   
Ryan has a fly high x pole for sale here is the link it's in the boats acc and tow veh section posted on 4/03 http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/431312.html?1175608127
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-04-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Doesn't the X pole slip over an existing pole? I don't have an existing pole if thats the case.