Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
Here is my question. Where are the majority of wetsuits made? I know that like most wakeboards they are mostly outsourced. Any help on this would be greatly appriciated.
Old     (wakewarrior)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-04-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Most of the OEM brands you see are made by a few big manufacturers, likely Japanese, Hong Kongese or Taiwanese owned. Thailand, China, Philippines, and now Cambodia are countries that produce the most wetsuits. The biggest make their own neoprene buns and slice into sheets. Some extrude their own spandex yarn that is woven into the knit that is then dyed the appropriate color and then laminated to the rubber. These manufacturers make wetsuits for the surf, dive, trisport, and above watersports (wake/ski) industries - not just for one industry. Most can be found on the web if you search for them.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-04-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
I think my Billabong wetsuit is made in Thailand, will have a look when I get home.
Old     (wakewarrior)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-04-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
Chon Buri Thailand most likely.Upload
Old     (ajcsurf)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-04-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
Hotline wetsuits...santa cruz. Hand crafted, no stack cutting. BEST WETSUIT.
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-04-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
Most are made overseas as wakewarrior said due to cost.
Wetsuits may be a hard item to initially break into the industry with. They are a high dollar item, don't necessarily provide a great margin for the retailer and you figure the average consumer probably buys a new one every few years.

All of that equals a difficult product to make good profit on unless you a moving a ton of units.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-05-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
The newest wetsuits are made with this soft rubber that you can actually poke a hole in with your thumb while you're putting the thing on and taking it off. The seams rip and they just plain fall appart on you. Salesmen upsell them for high $$$, claiming this softer rubber is more comfortable, but in fact, it's a profitability issue. The soft rubber is just cheaper. Rubber is made from oil. Cheap rubber is not more comfortable. The newest suits only last about a year now, if you're lucky. The industry has made a huge mistake. They tried this back in the 80's and that's when a number of new manufacturers entered the market with wetsuits made from high quality rubber that lasts, just like in the old days. History has repeated itself. This is a better time than ever to get enter the industry. People are yearning for cheaper wetsuits that last more than a season, and it's totally doable if you research the materials properly. Just offer up a reasonable warranty, where you actually repair damage rather than telling your customers to buy a new one, and you can probably get started... Small shop owners must be getting tired of the customer complaints...

(Message edited by Monkey on August 05, 2008)
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-05-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-05-2008, 9:21 AM Reply   
I totally agree- my NEW wetsuit has tears in it and I can say I have probably worn it less than a dozen times total and its just from getting into it, I like having it, and it saves my balls but if you can market a reasonably priced good quality suit- which I am sure you can I got your back homie! I will totally rock one!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-05-2008, 9:45 AM Reply   
That's the last industry I would do a start up company in, but that's just me.
Best of luck to you spin2win, hope it all works out for you.
Old     (jermiside)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-05-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Good luck with the wetsuit co. If you make one, can you have a fly option so I don't have to pee in my wetsuit?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-05-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Waylon, good call.
Old     (ridinonair)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-05-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
peeing in it is the best part! it helps prevent athletes....um crotch????lol jk
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-05-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
Spin2Win,
I have some Import Agent connections with neoprene experience. send me private message if you are interested. Most of what i have used them for is Camo, but I am sure they can do colors!