Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (blinerinbrazil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
I know I know This subject has been talked about forever but I just have one more question. Are you likely to land a tantrum or a backroll easier without the fins or with the fins or will there be any diference at all?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-11-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
I cant see there being a lot of difference... if i was learning them again I would want the fins.

what board are you riding?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-11-2008, 1:04 PM Reply   
Uh...I would guess tantrum, just because it requires a little less edge control (backroll requires a very progressive edge).

Though, I don't really think it would make that big of a difference.
Old     (blinerinbrazil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
I´m riding a ´05 priemier dna141. I just got my first wake board boat (´04 masterboat wakemaster 190 with an Indmar 310hp engine)I think it´s a copy of a early 90´s MC prostar. I´m here in Brazil by the way. The wake on this boat is really nice but very wide so I need the fins for me to edge out enough to get a good progressive edge.
Old     (geogilbert)      Join Date: May 2007       03-11-2008, 3:22 PM Reply   
your last comment "I need the fins for me to edge out enough to get a good progressive edge" says you should probably ride without fins, at least for a while.

You should be able to get a good edge without the fins. If you then want to add fins to lock you in a bit more that becomes preference but as a base you should not "need" them there are too many bad habits you can form relying on fins to get a good cut in.

Just my 2 R$
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-11-2008, 4:14 PM Reply   
riding without fins give you more room for error on landings in my opinion, and as others said it helps you to properly learn how to cut. Also its simply more fun riding a loose board!
Old     (blinerinbrazil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-11-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
I´ve been riding for more then a year without the fins with my privious boat and can do w2w 180 easily. This new boat that I have has a lot wider wake at a closer distance to the boat. Thanks for the R$2 though.

valeu Gil!!!!!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-11-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
you may want to speed up a bit. this narrow your wake and push it back. what speed are you riding? sounds the two boats are very different
Old    alanp            03-11-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
if u have to ask, put the fins on.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-11-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
i think every rider should spend at leat one summer on a board like the roam. i spent the last 4 years riding nothing but the roam. this year im gettin back on a normal board. riding finless has given me way better edge control and taught me to really edge properly. now that i have gotten rid of all the bad habbits im going back to a normal board to learn new things and step my game up
Old     (blinerinbrazil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-12-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I´m riding at 20mph on perfectpass with gps. My previous boat was a 18ft bayliner with 115hp outboard motor and I had no trouble edging out and doing w2w 180s finless. I tried speeding up to 22mph on this new boat but the difference is minimal. I agree with everyone that riding finless is WAY more fun and the proper edging should be done finless but it´s NO fun at all trying to edge out finless for hours at a time and not getting anywhere.
Old     (blinerinbrazil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-17-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
I just wanted to let you all know that I wakeboarded this past weekend with the fins on and I was hitting w2w 180s very easily. I am posting a picture of the highth that I´m achieving. Is this high enough for recreational riding? Also what are the prerequisits for trying a back roll?

Muito Obrigado Upload
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       03-17-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
From your descriptions of your riding and some of the frustrations you have mentioned, try this. Keep the fins off and slow down your turn into the wake then keep everything else the same, and as always maintain your edge through the wake. Slowing this initial turn should give you a stronger edge and get you back to W2W 180 and beyond, shortly. A prerequisite to any invert is going W2W every time, all the time.
Old     (blinerinbrazil)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-17-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
thnks for the tip Michael. By the way I did a search for wake pics on this site and got about a thousand hits. I got bored and started looking through the pictures and started counting all the people who were using fins on their boards and I was surprised to find that it was about half and half on who was using fins or not. humph, go figure.