Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-24-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I'm SO stoked on how my new Ronix Covin rides. The cutting edge design of the board is sending me higher and farther out into the flats and my Cell boots are beyond comfortable!! Compared to my old, heavy Hyperlite Premiere 141, the Covin has left it in the dust...

Everything about the board has finally allowed me to really start riding (I have been held back by Hyperlite alone). From the perfectly designed rocker that lands so smooth to the lighter weight of the board - everything is better. The board is SO much lighter that I can now do grabs (since I can pull it up easier) and the edge locks me in so well that I'm now landing my 180's. I know, it's not much... but thanks to Ronix - I'm finally on my way to really being able to ride.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-24-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
I hope they paid you for that advertisement. JK Glad you like the new board!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-24-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
You should work for Ronix.

Thats sick man. I'm so pumped to get out and ride my new setup this season, even though its not Ronix.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-24-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
I even ride better when I just hold the handle and look down and admire the graphics... they're so awesome...
Old    innov8actionsports.com            03-24-2007, 2:23 PM Reply   
Sweet, thats good to hear, let us no how the board and bindings hold up.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2007, 7:00 PM Reply   
if you couldnt do grabs because your board was a pound heavier, i'm sure a gym membership would have done a lot more good than a new setup. not trying to be negative tho, cuz im sure its a great setup. Ur just giving the board way too much credit.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-24-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
'From the perfectly designed rocker that lands so smooth to the lighter weight of the board - everything is better.'

I will believe it when I try it.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-24-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
No, really - the Ronix actually lifts my belly out of the way so I can reach the board. I really can't believe how it works...

And the board control is amazing!!
Old     (kaesen)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-24-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
proho and ant bug,
dont hate.

jerram,
thats sick you like your new board... just think what the whole season will do to your riding!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-24-2007, 10:36 PM Reply   
"don't hate" hahaha don't kid yourself kaesen.

It's just a deck. Wait maybe if he rides the One he will land a 1080 next.

People crack me up sometimes.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-25-2007, 12:20 AM Reply   
Ant and Proho, I agree. If you read the board buyers guide WBM they go over what you should look for in a board and how it should be suited to your specific riding style.

Jerram, it sounds like you got the right board, congrats, but give yourself some of the credit. Its not only the board, its you man.
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2007, 5:34 AM Reply   
i hate you froese
i have been debating weather or not to get ronix one but i think you finally conviced me
but now i have to put down 400
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-25-2007, 6:26 AM Reply   
"no board is going to help you that much"

Yes it will - and Ronix is its Name-O.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-25-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
I rode the Ronix Covin about 3 weeks ago at OWC and I liked it as well. Much faster and lighter than the Parks I ride. I will probbly look to the Covin as my next board.
Old     (chikara22)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-25-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I rode the Ronix Covin about 3 weeks ago at OWC and I liked it as well. Much faster and lighter than the Parks I ride. I will probably look to the Covin as my next board.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-25-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
How does it ride compared to the one?
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-25-2007, 10:21 PM Reply   
Chain yank. "the Ronix actually lifts my belly out of the way so I can reach the board. I really can't believe how it works... " What...do you need a 2x4 to the head?
Old     (blxboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2007, 11:35 PM Reply   
Dave, I think he was joking.... at least I hope so....and if not then maybe your right. bahahaha. Will, I ride a parks right now, how much better is it man?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-26-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Jerram - Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to try out the Ronix gear. I only get my tail grabs 10% of the time because I feel like my HyperHEAVY gear sometimes makes it difficult to bring my knees up. It's very strange because my ankles get sore sometimes and I think that is from all that weight pulling on them when I get major pop. Hopefully a change to Ronix will fix this problem. Thanks Bro!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
Damn...Someone tell Eric Ruck his board is holding him back.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-26-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
I was thinking of starting a diet to loose pounds,
But according to this post I guess all i have to do is buy a Ronix. That's sweet becuase i don't like working out anyways. Thanks Ronix, your awesome!!

Yeah right, like any board could move my belly out of the way.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-26-2007, 7:18 AM Reply   
Eubanks - even the laces are lighter weight. With the lighter weight, and grip that's built into the graphics - I think you'll be able to move those tail grabs up to the 85th/95th percentile!
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-26-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Can Ronix help me with neighbor's dog barking at 2am?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-26-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
Ha! I don't know if I'll ever get that many but hopefully more than 10%.

Matthew - I don't know about moving your belly out of the way but try pulling your knees up with 15 pounds of weights on your ankles. Now try it with only 10 pounds and tell me you don't get a more accelerated lift with the less weight. Lifting lighter setups increase the probability of getting more grabs and holding them longer which equals more steeze. It's science guys...come on.

(Message edited by eubanks01 on March 26, 2007)
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
Why is everyone being so hard on Jerram? He is excited about his new ride. Nothing wrong with that. I have the Frontier, and it rides quite differently than any other board I have been on before. I like it a lot and look forward to rippin it hard all season. I will say, the thing does feel really light. Maybe if you put them on a weigh scale there is little to no difference. But when you ride it, it does feel lighter. They don't ride as deep in the water as my past boards. So maybe the design keeps it afloat, more lofty feel, lighter. Don't bash it until you try it. Paul O'Brien has been doing this a long time. Innovation has always been key to their business. I don't think he is in the business to recreate old designs. If they did that no one would desire new product. Things like flex boards and wakeskates would not exsist. It's like the new Slingshot boards...they felt they should get in the wakeboard business because they think they have something to offer the wakeboard community that did not exsist prior. Probably something they learned while designing for kiteboarding. Never rode their product. If I get a chance, I most certainly will try it. And then make an opinion. So ease up on him.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-26-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
If some of you are having trouble lifting your board up to grab while in the air, you should spend that money on a gym membership...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-26-2007, 7:42 AM Reply   
But why waste time in the gym when you can just buy a lighter setup in order to do grabs?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-26-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
that great Froese

however i tried the 137 ONE because i needed something to ride while my warranty board was being sent to me ..

the ONE 137 was all they had to demo in Ronix at the time so i took it and rode it two sets..

I liked it but did not love it at all...The board was responsive and pop was smooth and was on the fast side..

However it didnt pop like my 141 absolute and while it landed ok my absolute platty was lighter and landed softer..

it did win the speed contest as my abs platty is a tad slow..

The ronix also was weird feeling while cutting in or out hard on my toes as i can feel the water rushing over my toes and also the board/rail was grabbing and trying to pull me over my toes more then i wanted..

Im sure i if i rode this boar a lot id figure it out and it wasnt bad at all..I am only 5'8 165 abut usually ride the wide long board like the 141 platty absolute so maybe this was just not big enough or wide enough for me ..

Maybe ill try a 142 next time if they have one..

overall good board but not my style and i wont buy one yet..

PS i was riding my LF watson bindings on it if that makes any difference??

thats my three cents worth ..
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-26-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
bill... the board is a lot better with .8 p-wings on it. too sticky with stock fins
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
I just bought the Ronix covin too. It is all that and more. Not only was i able to land a TS 720 but it made the water temp like 10 degrees warmer
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-26-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Bill....Thanks ...thanks a lot. The CWB absolute and Marius were the boards I was thinking of trying but never got the chance. Traditionally I am a continous rocker rider...thus I thought Marius,,,but a lot of comments from people here and at various pro shops said the same thing....you either love it or hate it. Man now I want to try it. I am good with my Frontier purchase. But now you have me wondering about the CWB Plats...
Old    innov8actionsports.com            03-27-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
Its all personal preference, demo boards from all the brands a then make your decision, I have talked to quite a few riders that like the Ronix gear and I talk with riders all the time that like the CWB gear and I talk to riders all the time that like the Hyperlite gear and I also have talked to quite a few that like the Liquid Force gear and some like the Obrien Gear, then there have been some that like the Gator gear.

DEMO,DEMO,DEMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-27-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
"But why waste time in the gym when you can just buy a lighter setup in order to do grabs?"

If 5 lbs, with no resistance, is keeping you from grabbing, you just answered your own question. I would bet it is more psychological than anything else. You telling yourself that it is easier to do grabs than the board actually being that much better. For the most part, I'll stick to the idea that "it's not the arrow, it's the indian" that makes it happen.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I think this guy was left out of all these posts!
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Oh No Eubanks is talking Science ;-)
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-27-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
Are you talking about/to me?

I used your statement, which I believe to be sarcasm, but it was meant for the original poster, not you...
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
What's the phrase? Give an indian a fish and he/she will eat for a day... give them a Ronix, though...

If this board were a skateboard, it would be like having eight wheels instead of 4. Who needs a gym membership when you can hunt with a crossbow???????
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Oh - and why demo and throw your money down the drain? Who knows a shop that demo's ALL the different brands? You'll loose out at some point. PLUS, why demo when the three major brands are all owned (and have business decisions made for them) by the same group of investors??? Things are changing for the big 3 - go with the gold.

AND - Ronix just flat out looks cooler. If that isn't enough reason to buy w/out a demo, then I don't know WHAT is.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
That's right Bouse! And I've tried to bring others into my scientific thinking. Like I will ONLY do tricks INTO the wind when we are running a line perpendicular to the wind direction. Doing harder tricks WITH the wind could result in severe injury or death. Just ask Froese what happens when somebody tries TS 3's without taking this piece of knowledge into consideration. Think about it people...
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
He's right about the wind. I fought it for too long... Jump with the wind and you SAIL. I'm a believer now. I will ONLY attempt new tricks WITH the wind from here on out.
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
hahahahahahahahaha

Your Killing me....

Got the boat, Come out and Play!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2007, 11:42 AM Reply   
I sure will. Princeton Lakes is where I discovered this need for extra lift jumping into the wind. Jump with the wind out there and they will be peeling you off of 380 with a shovel!
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-27-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Hey Bouse - I see you have the Cell boots...

...won't be long before you latch onto the gold that is the Ronix Board lineup...
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Bouse is always ahead of the game. He even has his own parking spot at Waterski Boats Dallas where they put his new boats when they come in from the factory! hahaha
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Hahahahaha After 5 boats I should have a sign for my parking spot..

Yep Have the Cells.. I wouldnt ask me to jump on the bandwagon, on my second set, 1st one's were a bust, but Marty at WSBD took care of me.. These seem good to go now..
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2007, 11:55 AM Reply   
Did they give you a card where you get a hole punched for each new boat and then you get a free pair of bindings with your 5th boat?

Just kidding Bro! We'll have to make it up there soon.
Old     (sean21v)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-27-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Yeah I am sure you will..!! Been waiting since 2004 to make it up there again...!